PDA

View Full Version : Intenscreens

xkaes
26-Jan-2016, 10:26
I have used the Beattie Intenscreen on my two 4x5 cameras for years. I'm wondering who else uses these and what other options are there? They seem to work great -- especially with wide angle lenses.

Bob Salomon
26-Jan-2016, 10:31
There have been lots of options, some still made and others not. The Beattie Intenscreen and the Linhof Super Screen were both made by Fresnel Optics in Rochester, NY. The Super Screen is long discontinued, the Discontinued Boss Screen from Holland used wax to form the image, other screens had special grinding for finer grain, etc.

Alan Gales
26-Jan-2016, 11:15
I had one on a Hasselblad 500 c/m. It was huge improvement over the original screen. I found it very easy to focus with.

Peter De Smidt
26-Jan-2016, 12:23
I have one on a Rolleiflex TLR. It made a huge difference compared to the original screen.

Renato Tonelli
27-Jan-2016, 09:45
Is the Maxwell screen the only 'bright screen' still being made? Is the screen that Steve Hoft a bright screen? - it is not clear to me by reading his website.

I have a Maxwell screen on the Master Tech. and a Beattie on the Wisner Tech. Makes a big difference when focusing in low-light situations with f/9 lenses.

Peter De Smidt
27-Jan-2016, 14:30
Renato, how do they compare? I have both. The Maxwell is on a Toyo AX, and the Beattie is on a Rolleiflex. These are quite different, though, and so it's hard to compare. It seems a little easier to focus with the Maxwell, but the difference doesn't seem that great. I agree with you about low light situations!

Renato Tonelli
27-Jan-2016, 17:50
Peter - The Maxwell is a little brighter in my opinion but much more expensive. When I purchase the Maxwell screen, the Beattie was no longer available for large format.

carylee2002
10-Feb-2016, 15:19
Hows the Steve Hopf screens compared to Maxwell? I have the stock Ebony screen on mine and was wondering if the Maxwell will be that much better in return for his high price.

Peter De Smidt
10-Feb-2016, 18:39
Isn't Steve Hopf's screens standard ground glass? A Maxwell (and Beattie) screen is different, as they include a built in Fresnel. As a result, they can use less diffusion, which makes them brighter, and not have as noticeable of a hot spot.

Renato Tonelli
10-Feb-2016, 19:18
I ordered a screen from Steve Hopf a few days ago; it is a standard ground glass like Peter says. I had wanted a Maxwell for an Ebony 5x7 but Bill told me that the Ebony camera backs would need to be modified for his screens; I didn't want the modification and kept the original screen.

carylee2002
12-Feb-2016, 13:31
Keep us posted how the Hopf screen works on the Ebony..I have the RW45 but was not aware of the need of a camera back modification needed when using the ebony.

Renato Tonelli
13-Feb-2016, 11:20
Keep us posted how the Hopf screen works on the Ebony..I have the RW45 but was not aware of the need of a camera back modification needed when using the ebony.

I am assuming that you are referring to my post. I kept the manufacturer's original screens on the Ebony. The Hopf screen is on order for a new to me Toho camera.

carylee2002
14-Feb-2016, 14:37
I am assuming that you are referring to my post. I kept the manufacturer's original screens on the Ebony. The Hopf screen is on order for a new to me Toho camera.

Yes...I was referring to your post. I have been in contact will maxwell and I will ask him directly if there is a modification needed on my Ebony. Unfortunately it will be in a couple of weeks till I get back in town since Im on the road working at this time. Anyways Im just curious how the Hopf screen works out for you.

Renato Tonelli
14-Feb-2016, 18:49
I will let you know - it should arrive in a couple of weeks.

Renato Tonelli
24-Feb-2016, 09:08
The Hopf screen arrived a few days ago and I installed it just this morning. It is not brighter than the original (I knew that would be the case) but the markings for the roll film formats are an improvement for my eyes: more pronounced, heavier lines. It looks well made and dealing with Steve was a pleasure as well.
The Hopf is easier on the wallet compared to the Maxwell but the Maxwell screen is probably two stops brighter.

John Layton
24-Feb-2016, 12:58
4x5 Maxwell screens are generally "all in one." That is, they consist of a single piece, incorporating a fresnel field on one side and a frosted ("ground") surface on the other. Cameras need no modification with this 4x5 screen, so long as the frosted side is mounted toward the lens. Bill Maxwell would then recommend that you place a protective glass over the rear of this, as the fresnel field is a bit sensitive to scratches.

For 5x7 and larger, Bill Maxwell no longer manufactures such "all in one" screens, but rather can supply a "kit" consisting of a fresnel screen and a ground glass, which the user then installs. (Bill might install also, but don't quote me on this). At any rate, choosing to install the separate fresnel in front (on the lens side) of the ground glass (preferably with the fresnel field facing rearward) does indeed require that the ground glass frame be modified, to adjust its depth to accommodate the assembly, both physically and optically. Bill can give you the exact formula for this if you want to tackle it yourself, as I did with my 5x7.

If, however, you choose to mount the separate fresnel field behind your ground glass...no such ground glass frame modification is needed - but in choosing this route it would be recommended that you install a plain protective glass over the back of the fresnel.

Prior to my modifying my 5x7 back to accommodate the Maxwell setup (fresnel plus gg), I tried using the fresnel mounted behind the ground glass, but found that focussing/viewing was slightly better/easier with the fresnel mounted in front of the ground glass - so I went ahead and made the modification, and since then have been extremely satisfied with this setup.

Keep in mind that Bill Maxwell can supply such fresnel/gg kits in a number of brightnesses and focal lengths, to give the user the best setup for a users needs. For my 5x7, for example, I've chosen a 120mm fl in combo with a medium-fine grind ground glass - and find it amazing with my 90 and 305mm lenses, and simply mind blowing with my 120 and 210mm lenses.

Finding the "best" balance in a ground glass/fresnel system...one that presents a good degree of brightness, evenness, and ability to resolve fine details, when "improving" any of these aspects can result in diminishing the others, is a bit of an art - and requires an understanding of what we LF folks truly need beyond the merely theoretical. Bill Maxwell knows the theory, but he also "gets it," and for this I am very grateful. Furthermore, he is without peer in his skill in creating a fresnel field with extremely fine and precise cuts, so that in practice, the circular pattern that these cuts present are hardly noticeable, whereas with other similar screens from other manufacturers, these circles can be very distracting.

Personally, I place no less value on a good focussing screen setup than I do on a camera or lens, and do what I can to budget accordingly.

EdSawyer
26-Feb-2016, 08:51
The screens that Canham uses are also the all in one fresnel/screen combo. Very nice, quite bright.