PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever apply for a Gugenheim or Siskind Fellowship?

invisibleflash
7-Jan-2016, 14:18
How did it go for you?

bob carnie
7-Jan-2016, 15:26
I would be interested in hearing about this and actually understanding how this is approached.

Jim Fitzgerald
7-Jan-2016, 15:28
I know that Mark Woods applied. I was asked to write something on his behalf. PM him.

Andrew O'Neill
7-Jan-2016, 16:15
Bob, have you ever looked in grants through the Canada Council for The Arts?

bob carnie
8-Jan-2016, 06:42
As a small business owner I never felt I that I fit the criteria.

I am now thinking as I am working on some significant projects there may be some merit in seeing what is available for
me to look into.

I do get lots of clients with grants, from the Canada Council.

Bob, have you ever looked in grants through the Canada Council for The Arts?

Corran
8-Jan-2016, 07:50
A friend of mine received a Guggenheim in photography. I was actually meaning to ask him about that soon.

Kirk Gittings
8-Jan-2016, 10:34
A friend of mine received a Guggenheim in photography. I was actually meaning to ask him about that soon.

I know a few and have never asked. I do know that it is extremely competitive.

I've had many grants including a large NEA grant, one from the Getty and Humanities council etc. The ones I applied for are a ton of work. These days for me I am of the opinion the time it would take to apply for a grant is better spent doing commercial or artwork and a lot higher chance of success. The one grant I really would appreciate is a MacArthur, but that one comes out of the blue-you don't apply for it-other people do and you don't hear about it until you get the call. My sister-in-law got one.

invisibleflash
8-Jan-2016, 12:03
I know a few and have never asked. I do know that it is extremely competitive.

I've had many grants including a large NEA grant, one from the Getty and Humanities council etc. The ones I applied for are a ton of work. These days for me I am of the opinion the time it would take to apply for a grant is better spent doing commercial or artwork and a lot higher chance of success. The one grant I really would appreciate is a MacArthur, but that one comes out of the blue-you don't apply for it-other people do and you don't hear about it until you get the call. My sister-in-law got one.

What does she do to get MacArthur?

How did your NEA, Getty and Humanities council grants work out for you?

In the end did you feel they were worth your time to get them. (Beside $, they also bring status to your photography, so that much be taken into account. )

Did you have to submit exacting budgets for your projects or were they no strings grants?

I see some photo centers offering smallish $ grants, but charge high application fees to apply. Sounds like they are more interested in them as money making vehicles for their biz, but am not sure.

Kirk Gittings
8-Jan-2016, 15:10
Sorry I can't go into great detail now. I am super busy-unusual for this time of year.

"What does she do to get MacArthur?" She was a Black Star photographer in the Civil Rights movement and subsequently a community organizer, rural economic developer and an economic justice educator. She is quite well known in the Civil Rights community. She is frankly pretty amazing. I have printed her work for decades for shows at the Smithsonian etc. http://www.takestockphotos.com/pages/varela.php

"How did your NEA, Getty and Humanities council grants work out for you?" The NEA grant photographing historic NM churches, it was great though a ton of work to prepare. At the time it was also very prestigious. The others were more meat and potatoes. I also had a Polaroid Artist's support grant (that had some mojo) and grants from Calumet, Freestyle and Kodak. They were cool (equipment and/or materials) and very few strings.

"In the end did you feel they were worth your time to get them." (Beside $, they also bring status to your photography, so that much be taken into account. ) Yes, for where my career was at then, but where I am at now I wouldn't go for them now.

"Did you have to submit exacting budgets for your projects or were they no strings grants?" Yes except for the materials/equipment grants.

"I see some photo centers offering smallish $ grants, but charge high application fees to apply. Sounds like they are more interested in them as money making vehicles for their biz, but am not sure." Some are sincere but are non-profits and need to cover their expenses. Some are just income generators.