PDA

View Full Version : LF Photographers in the Central Florida Area

VTHokiEE
7-Jan-2016, 07:57
I'm on the east coast of central Florida and about to start my journey in large format photography. I was wondering if there are any groups (maybe in Orlando?) that meet somewhat regularly?

Dwayne Martin
31-Jan-2016, 09:06
I'm in Sarasota let me know if you turn something up.....

macmaster77
22-Aug-2016, 21:13
I'm getting into LF and I live in Port Charlotte. Have you found a group yet? Thanks...

j.e.simmons
23-Aug-2016, 03:53
I was in a group in Jacksonville that had a number of members several years ago. Most have moved away or moved to digital now. If you get something going, I'm not so far away.

mitrajoon
23-Aug-2016, 10:01
I´m in Boca Raton. Just getting started in LF. Would enjoy meeting with others in the area.

macmaster77
23-Aug-2016, 17:41
If there are folks spread across the state who would like to get together, I would be willing to meet in Orlando somewhere to make it as accessible as possible to everyone. Anyone interested in this? Thanks.

Doug Howk
24-Aug-2016, 04:01
I'd be interested.

VTHokiEE
24-Aug-2016, 05:39
Unfortunately I never found a group, but I'd be very interested in meeting in Orlando.

macmaster77
25-Aug-2016, 14:53
I'm open to any suggestions to get started. I'm open to getting started maybe after Labor Day? What are your thoughts? Thanks...

VTHokiEE
26-Aug-2016, 06:21
After Labor Day is best from me, maybe the end of Sept/beginning of October? I'm not entirely certain where a good location would be; but a suggestion that I'll toss out is that maybe it would be nice to do a photowalk and sit down for a cup of coffee or small meal somewhere?

macmaster77
26-Aug-2016, 06:35
After Labor Day is best from me, maybe the end of Sept/beginning of October? I'm not entirely certain where a good location would be; but a suggestion that I'll toss out is that maybe it would be nice to do a photowalk and sit down for a cup of coffee or small meal somewhere?

That would be great! I have heard many photographers have gone here and liked it: https://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/recreation/areas/circlebbarreserve.html

This would allow us to get some photos and it's off Lakeland and I-4 so we could have lunch somewhere. See what you think. Thanks!

Jeff Donald
31-Aug-2016, 17:26
CIrcle B is better in the winter. It's kinda slow until December. It's a lot of walking and no facilities except at the nature center. Have you considered Myakka State Park? Much less walking (more roads and opportunities along the road) and many great scenic opportunities.

Bill_1856
31-Aug-2016, 21:48
CIrcle B is better in the winter. It's kinda slow until December. It's a lot of walking and no facilities except at the nature center. Have you considered Myakka State Park? Much less walking (more roads and opportunities along the road) and many great scenic opportunities.
Unfortunately, Myakka State Park will be virtually under water for another couple months. After Thanksgiving it can be spectacular.

macmaster77
31-Aug-2016, 21:54
I'm all for Myakka River State Park. Since TS Hermine is coming, it will be underwater for awhile. This could go on the "list" if we come up with a few places to try. Not sure where else might be a good place to check out that will be above the water table. I'm flexible and open to any suggestions. Thanks...

Spencer

Luis-F-S
1-Sep-2016, 06:01
Stay dry this weekend!

VTHokiEE
2-Sep-2016, 08:55
Myakka River State Park looks pretty neat (and I don't expect anyone to decide where to meet as a group solely on my account), but it's getting to be a bit of a drive for me (I'm a little south of Cape Canaveral). My vote would be something a little closer to Orlando to try to split the distance some. I've heard the Harry P Leu Gardens are nice, but I've never been there and photographing a garden may not be everyone's cup of tea.

TroyG
10-Sep-2016, 13:51
Hey guys, New to the forum and close to Orlando! Leu Gardens is a nice little botanical garden that could offer some good pictures! Has anyone thought about Bok Tower Gardens? Im not sure how that would be drive-wise for everyone else but I would say its worth a little bit of a drive! Absolutely gorgeous grounds and the carillon will be fun to photograph (Tilts will probably be needed!). That being said, if we do get together, I'm down for anywhere if I'm in town! Would love to meet some of you and share techniques. LF can be a lonely world!

macmaster77
11-Sep-2016, 08:50
Hey guys, New to the forum and close to Orlando! Leu Gardens is a nice little botanical garden that could offer some good pictures! Has anyone thought about Bok Tower Gardens? Im not sure how that would be drive-wise for everyone else but I would say its worth a little bit of a drive! Absolutely gorgeous grounds and the carillon will be fun to photograph (Tilts will probably be needed!). That being said, if we do get together, I'm down for anywhere if I'm in town! Would love to meet some of you and share techniques. LF can be a lonely world!

Troy,

Welcome to the group. I'm fairly new here as well. Bok Tower and Leu Gardens are great suggestions. I have been to Bok many times (and Spook Hill!). I'm open to try anything to get something going. I live in Port Charlotte which is about 2 1/2hrs away, but I'm open for anything. Anyone else have any suggestions? BTW, Myakka River State Park is open, but just the main road. The trails and concession area are closed due to flooding. Thanks!

macmaster77
17-Oct-2016, 21:22
Hello there everyone. I know we have been discussing times and places. I don't know if anyone is still interested in getting together or not. I'm in the process of buying a 8x10 so I'm excited to get out and shooting. My friend just bought a 4x5 Zone VI, so we are eager to get out and see what it can do. I was at Myakka River State Park this past Saturday and there is still some water in the trees and bushes. I think this adds to the "old Florida" look if anyone is close to the Southwest side of FL. I'm still game to meet if anyone is. The weather is cooling a bit so it will me much easier to shoot.

If anyone is interested, I'm meeting my photo students and friends at Bok Tower on Sunday, November 6th. I don't know if I'll have my camera by then or not (if not I'll be shooting digital for the day). But if anyone want to come along, they are more than welcome. Hope we can coordinate this some how. Thanks!

Jeff Donald
18-Oct-2016, 18:43
I'm game for up coming shots and will make what I can. I'm busy November 12/13 and 19/20, teaching workshops. But I'm available weekends before that. I'm good with Sunday, November 6, just name a time and place you want to meet.

macmaster77
18-Oct-2016, 21:48
I'm game for up coming shots and will make what I can. I'm busy November 12/13 and 19/20, teaching workshops. But I'm available weekends before that. I'm good with Sunday, November 6, just name a time and place you want to meet.
Great! We'll see if anyone else chimes in and coordinate schedules. Thanks!

VTHokiEE
19-Oct-2016, 11:35
Wish I could, but I won't be able to make that trip. Hope you guys have a great time and we can get something re-occuring.

macmaster77
20-Oct-2016, 21:39
I just reread this, I'll be at Bok Tower on Nov. 6th. Would that interest you?

TroyG
21-Oct-2016, 17:16
Hello, all! I cannot make this one as I will be out of town on business (and my shutter is in for repair so even if I could come, I would be bearing tiny-format!), but I did want to chime in and say that I'm still following this thread and I look forward to meeting all of you and shooting together!

macmaster77
21-Oct-2016, 17:19
No worries! It will come together. We can try for a day maybe before Thanksgiving?

Hello, all! I cannot make this one as I will be out of town on business (and my shutter is in for repair so even if I could come, I would be bearing tiny-format!), but I did want to chime in and say that I'm still following this thread and I look forward to meeting all of you and shooting together!

diversey
19-Mar-2018, 17:07
Just moved here in Orlando from Chicago. There will be a Civial War Re-enactment in St Cloud this weekend, March 24-25, 2018. Is anyone in Central Florida interested in coming and shooting LF? Thanks! David

Tom K
26-Nov-2018, 04:49
I am delving into LF. Any meet ups yet? I'm on the Space Coast?

wager123
26-Nov-2018, 05:21
Allan Ross will be in Thomasville Ga, in early Feb 2019 for both a photography workshop and a darkroom workshop . if interested let me know.
mitch