PDA

View Full Version : Does This Dark Cloth/Hood Exist?

John Layton
5-Jan-2016, 12:36
Issues I have with currently available dark cloths:

1. Those that remain attached to camera during exposure can act as vibration-inducing sails, even in a light wind.
2. Those that feature elasticized openings and/or velcro for securing to a camera’s back can be tedious to install/remove without disturbing movements.
3. Flat cloths, without some provision for sealing into a “tube” (using velcro, buttons, clothespins, etc.) allow too much light to enter from bottom…truly a pain when working in snowy-bright conditions.
4. Cloths that look/act like a “jacket” seem too complicated, but I’ve never tried one so maybe I shouldn’t jump to this assessment?
5. Biggest pain: condensation (from breath/body moisture) inside the cloth…fogging up the focussing screen, my closeup glasses, or both (grrrr!)

So…My ideal focussing cloth/hood would:

1. Secure to the camera back in a manner which effectively shields from light, and yet would be easily removable (prior to exposure) without disturbing camera adjustments. Alternately, if not removable, this cloth/hood should at least be able to fold flat against the back of the camera prior to exposure where winds are present.
2. Be designed (perhaps tapered?) in a way which would effectively seal the viewing end around my eyes, perhaps also incorporating a built in head strap and closeup glasses for binocular viewing - while keeping my nose and mouth out of the bag entirely to minimize condensation.
3. Be reasonably lightweight, but of heavy enough material and of a design (again…tapered? or maybe like a bellows?) to minimize wind-flappage (flappidge? flappadge?)
4. Despite the above requirements, would allow me to move my head around….at least enough to allow viewing the focussing screen from different angles.
5. Fold flat (or flattish) for transport.
6. Be white/light on outside, black/dark on inside (naturally!)

In December of 2004, I was invited by my good friend Paul Wainwright and the staff of the Mt. Washington (NH) observatory to spend a week on the summit of that mountain, so that I could test my then-current L-45A camera design - in what amounted to hurricane force winds and well below zero F temps. The camera worked great - but my dark cloth was useless! My answer at that time was to create a tapered viewing hood out of duct tape - which allowed for viewing/focussing, and some (limited) head movement, while effectively spilling wind and allowing me to keep my breath away from the focus screen/close up glasses. After focussing, this makeshift hood folded up flat against the back of the camera - secured by more duct tape…in a way which prevented it from further flapping.

But my duct tape hood was really crude - and my sewing skills aren’t all that great. So my first question: does my “ideal” focussing cloth already exist? And (second) if not…would there be enough interest in a dark cloth incorporating the features/principles I’ve mentioned (and maybe a few that I haven’t thought of) so that someone out there might be motivated to move forward and create it? Thanks!

vinny
5-Jan-2016, 14:50
yes. do you have 2 t-shirts? One white, one black XXL. Sew some stitches in the sleeves and at the waist and neck. Put your head through the neck hole or stretch the neck over the camera (4x5). Done.
It's what I've been using for nearly 15yrs. Great for 4x5, not as great for 8x10. I wish it was waterproof.
I recently made one with some black/white water resistant fabric in attempt for better the t-shirt cloth. I sewed some magnets into the edge and glued some magnets to the camera back as well. It's okay but not as effective ad the t-shirt model.

Sal Santamaura
5-Jan-2016, 16:19
...does my “ideal” focussing cloth already exist?...Yes. A folding focus hood for the 4x5 camera of your choice, combined with a Maxwell screen, combined with (for focal lengths approximately 180mm and shorter) a lens of at least f/5.6 maximum aperture.

In other words, you essentially built and described in your View Camera article a prototype of what works best. :)

Jac@stafford.net
5-Jan-2016, 16:40
yes. do you have 2 t-shirts? One white, one black XXL. Sew some stitches [...]

Or use fabric glue. When you are happy with the fit, then optionally stitch it. It is a great prototyping adhesive.

Pamelageewhizz
5-Jan-2016, 18:18
I like the idea of the magnets. I'll have to give it a go.

Found a second use for the dark cloth. Was shooting pics of some sculptures late night with a full moon. Of course my flashlight that I was using to shine on the sculpture to focus died. Was standing, actually squatting, so I could get an upward shot, swearing up a storm when it hit me. I tied the dark cloth white side out and focused on that! Multi-purposing at it's finest!

Bruce Barlow
6-Jan-2016, 04:40
yes. do you have 2 t-shirts? One white, one black XXL. Sew some stitches in the sleeves and at the waist and neck. Put your head through the neck hole or stretch the neck over the camera (4x5). Done.
It's what I've been using for nearly 15yrs. Great for 4x5, not as great for 8x10. I wish it was waterproof.
I recently made one with some black/white water resistant fabric in attempt for better the t-shirt cloth. I sewed some magnets into the edge and glued some magnets to the camera back as well. It's okay but not as effective ad the t-shirt model.

+1 for 4x5 I had my wonderful sister sew up the sleeves, but you could just pin them closed with safety pins.
Then run a shoelace through the bottom hem and attach a cordlock to it. Put the bottom of the T-shirt over the back of your 8x10, tighten the cordlock, and then put your face into the neck. Voila! An 8x10 darkcloth. I got $3 T-shirts from Wally World. I find I only need one, and so don't need to double them up. Black is fine for Maine and New England. If you want, safety pin the white one on the outside of the black, so it doesn't go anywhere.

Drew Bedo
6-Jan-2016, 05:28
Isn't the two-t-Shirt design pretty much what the "Black Jacket" product is?

I find my BTZS hood to be effective and convenient enough for me and my 4x5.

dentkimterry
6-Jan-2016, 05:53
I liked my first BTZS 4x5 hood so well I got two more for my 5x7 and 8x10 cameras. So much better than the heavy blanket I was using.
Terry

Bruce Barlow
6-Jan-2016, 06:50
Isn't the two-t-Shirt design pretty much what the "Black Jacket" product is?

I find my BTZS hood to be effective and convenient enough for me and my 4x5.

Beats me. Never seen one. I like the low price of the T-shirt solution. More left over for film.

Peter Lewin
6-Jan-2016, 07:31
Typical over-design :)! I use a single black t-shirt as my dark cloth (neck over 4x5, hem over my head), the white one goes on me.

John Layton
6-Jan-2016, 08:37
Thanks everyone! Still need a way to keep my nose/mouth out of the "viewing tube," in hopes of minimizing condensation on the GG/viewing glasses/loupe.

So...I think I'll basically follow Bruce Barlow's plan - and modify this by also incorporating a draw string into the head-hole, which should allow the viewing end to be tightened around a pair of closeup glasses, and further adjustable to tighten around the base of a viewing loupe. I may need to go further to ensure a good light/breath seal around the closeup glasses...but I want to start with something simple to see if this can work. Will post results.

Drew Bedo
6-Jan-2016, 08:55
Setting aside the fabric solutions for a second:

What about one of the binocular or monocular viewing attachments, or a right angle viewer? Shades the GG and leaves your nose and mouth out in the cold.

John Layton
6-Jan-2016, 09:37
Drew, I need something that can be flexible enough to allow me to move my head around - to view the screen in different places and from different angles/distances. A binocular hood seems too restrictive for this. Also...I need something that is lightweight and can fold compactly for transport.

Bruce Barlow
6-Jan-2016, 09:49
Thanks everyone! Still need a way to keep my nose/mouth out of the "viewing tube," in hopes of minimizing condensation on the GG/viewing glasses/loupe.

So...I think I'll basically follow Bruce Barlow's plan - and modify this by also incorporating a draw string into the head-hole, which should allow the viewing end to be tightened around a pair of closeup glasses, and further adjustable to tighten around the base of a viewing loupe. I may need to go further to ensure a good light/breath seal around the closeup glasses...but I want to start with something simple to see if this can work. Will post results.

If we didn't live in a climate where breath is sometimes visible we wouldn't have this problem!!! :-)

Richard Ritter suggests a plexi piece over the groundglass, attached to the camera with 4 velcro buttons at the corners. He focuses with the plexi in place, and steams it up, maybe. Then he removes it, tunes the focus, and lets fly. A quick fine focus keeps his GG from fogging, or frosting. The plexi, kept on the rest of the time, protects the GG, too.