PDA

View Full Version : Kodalith Negative

JoeRalat
4-Jan-2016, 01:03
Hello, I was tring to get some info on service or update service to kodalith negative. I was trying to get a negative done 6feet x8feet. Is there any service today to get an negative that size. That's like a kodalith negative. It's being used for graphics.

Thanks

JoeRalat
4-Jan-2016, 13:07
Hello, I wanted to know if any companies out there still provide large Kodalith Negatives. 6-7feet x 8-9feet in size. Im looking to convert some large digital artwork to large negatives.

Thanks

vinny
4-Jan-2016, 13:15
I highly doubt it.
If the end result isn't just the negatives, consider digital negs printed on ohp film or glossy inket paper then contact printed.

bob carnie
4-Jan-2016, 13:22
I agree - though the largest print I can make is on 60 stock on Canon
I do not think film is made that big, Maybe in a larger graphic house shop specializing in huge murals for advertising.

I highly doubt it.
If the end result isn't just the negatives, consider digital negs printed on ohp film or glossy inket paper then contact printed.

djdister
4-Jan-2016, 14:12
Hello, I wanted to know if any companies out there still provide large Kodalith Negatives. 6-7feet x 8-9feet in size. Im looking to convert some large digital artwork to large negatives.

Thanks

Do you have a copy camera capable of shooting 6x8 feet negatives? How are you going to contact print these very large negatives? Alternatively, get a large format printer, load it with transparency material and print a negative version of your image...

Ron McElroy
4-Jan-2016, 14:21
I think the largest roll of film I remember using years ago was 54inches wide. This was a 7mil base. I would be surprised if anyone makes something that large now.

Jim C.
4-Jan-2016, 14:57
Try printing services that offer Linotronic output thats used for printing separations.
Not sure if it'll go as big as 6ft X 8ft.
The company Photobition comes to mind, they may have been absorbed into a larger company.

JoeRalat
4-Jan-2016, 15:42
Hello and thank you all for the replies. Just so it not confusing. Im looking for a service, I do not deal with camera or photography.

So I hope its ok if I ask some newbie questions.
Vinny
You said " glossy inket paper then contact printed." Is that a paper print out then turn into a negative? Can they get around the size I need.

Again thanks for the replies!

bob carnie
Do you know of any "graphic house shop specializing in huge murals for advertising."
Thanks

Oren Grad
4-Jan-2016, 16:18
Threads merged.

vinny
4-Jan-2016, 19:09
Joe, a negative image is printed onto the inkjet paper and that's your negative which is then contact printed onto silver gelatin paper in the darkroom. There's at least one member doing this on a much smaller scale than what you're attempting. You'll need to find the largest inkjet printing service and paper to go with it. google

JoeRalat
5-Jan-2016, 02:12
Hello, been looking on the and seen "Kodak Duratrans / Dura Clear / " I think that Dura Clear maybe good to make a large negative/Transparency. Does anyone have any more info on it.

Thanks

bob carnie
5-Jan-2016, 06:41
You can get Duraclear or Fujiclear processed a very few select labs worldwide that still have 72inch processors and Lambda to match.

I think Duggal in New York would be the first place I would phone and ask.

Hello, been looking on the and seen "Kodak Duratrans / Dura Clear / " I think that Dura Clear maybe good to make a large negative/Transparency. Does anyone have any more info on it.

Thanks

djdister
5-Jan-2016, 07:56
You can get Duraclear or Fujiclear processed a very few select labs worldwide that still have 72inch processors and Lambda to match.

I think Duggal in New York would be the first place I would phone and ask.

Bob's right - these guys (Duggal) are your best shot http://www.duggal.com/solutions/photographic-printing-services/digital-photo-printing/

JoeRalat
6-Jan-2016, 18:50
Thanks guys, I was looking over the site, the price seems good. I finding conflicting info, maybe you can help clear it up.
I try to make it simply so its not confusing.

My final result I want is a large transparency that have artwork in black and others that are not printed on to be clear.
Will Duraclear get me that. I also seen something called "Duratrans Transparency Film"

My only concern over this is that I need what ever that is black to be opaque.

bob carnie
7-Jan-2016, 07:22
Are you back lighting this project.. this material is made for back light.

If not You may not be happy as the duratrans clear area will be milky and are mounted into light boxes with clear plexi , unless light comes through you will not get a good visual look.
Dura clear, or Fuji clear is basically the same product but made to be mounted in light boxes with milky plexi.

Jeff Wall for example does very large Ciba clear transparencies.

I will give you an example of a project I did years ago.... solarized black and white prints were then made into files and printed on dura trans .
the duratrans were then hung from the ceiling and from behind hot lights were projected into them .. on the other side of the lights, the image lit up nicely and the viewers would walk around.
so you need some light to make these things happen..

If you are not wanting a back light effect but just want white and black image you may want to go to Duggal again and ask about super size RHOE prints
where they can print on any surface within their limitations. These are basically very large flat bed printers and you will see their work lighting up times square.

Every major Hub City will have a lab that can do the large Rhoe prints. I do not do them but have the predecessor machine to Durst Rhoe - which is a Durst Lambda- which is the son of a LVT recorder- which is the son of a Kodak Premier Editing Station- which is all evolved from Hand Photo Comp.

good luck.

Bob

Thanks guys, I was looking over the site, the price seems good. I finding conflicting info, maybe you can help clear it up.
I try to make it simply so its not confusing.

My final result I want is a large transparency that have artwork in black and others that are not printed on to be clear.
Will Duraclear get me that. I also seen something called "Duratrans Transparency Film"

My only concern over this is that I need what ever that is black to be opaque.