PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 Riteway Holders?

ryanmills
18-Dec-2015, 18:33
Likely a silly question but did Riteway make 8x10 holders (metal tab)? Tons of Lisco, etc for sale but I can't find any of the riteways. I really prefer those over everything else.

koh303
18-Dec-2015, 19:33
After a certain point in the 80's Lisco/Fidelity/Riteway were all made in the same place, by the same people, using the same materials on the same machines, with a different stamp/style at the end - all owned by calumet.

I think they did not make any 8X10 riteway branded ones.

ryanmills
19-Dec-2015, 00:32
After a certain point in the 80's Lisco/Fidelity/Riteway were all made in the same place, by the same people, using the same materials on the same machines, with a different stamp/style at the end - all owned by calumet.

I think they did not make any 8X10 riteway branded ones.

Yea, there was a difference in the metal tabbed ones at one point but it they must not have made any in the 8x10 size.

StoneNYC
19-Dec-2015, 08:35
Yea, there was a difference in the metal tabbed ones at one point but it they must not have made any in the 8x10 size.

I agree, riteway just seem tighter in tolerance etc.

Ultimately I decided to buy new for 8x10, too many problems with plastic ones, Chamonix, no regrets.

John Kasaian
19-Dec-2015, 08:49
I've never seen any 8x10s nor 5x7s marked Riteway. The older 4x5 Riteways seem to be "bullet proof."

ryanmills
19-Dec-2015, 11:11
I agree, riteway just seem tighter in tolerance etc.

Ultimately I decided to buy new for 8x10, too many problems with plastic ones, Chamonix, no regrets.

Thats excatly why I was hoping to find them, everything just felt better about them.

Any thoughts on the $200+ Toyo holders?

Oren Grad
19-Dec-2015, 11:27

See this discussion on olfactory issues:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?8417-Reeking-film-holders

ryanmills
19-Dec-2015, 11:40
I wont lie, now I want to buy a toyo just to see if its really that bad :p

Well that's interesting and not what I expected to read about. The best thing about the riteway's for me was how tight the darkslides fit. Granted dealing with ten of them is going to be a lot easier then 30+. From time to time I would grab one and slight catch a darkslide and open it. Never happened with the rightways.

John Kasaian
19-Dec-2015, 11:41
I've had pretty good luck with Liscos for plastics.

StoneNYC
19-Dec-2015, 11:42
Thats excatly why I was hoping to find them, everything just felt better about them.

I live in an area that has high fluctuation in the temperature as well as the humidity, in wintertime it's pretty bad especially inside, and I was having static issues with the plastic holders, the wooden holders just work better for me for my environment, on top of the fact that they are high-quality. And specifically they have less flexibility so overtime I think that it will last longer versus plastic ones which will bend and flex over time causing weakness in the holder. Since both brand-new holders cost $200 I figure why not get better quality Chamonix wooden ones. Also, their Darkside is much firmer, so if you accidentally press your finger against the slide, it will not bend and flex and scratch or rub against the film, unlike the plastic ones which have that potential.

Ari
19-Dec-2015, 20:01

Better if you can find them used, they're just as good as the new ones.
Toyos are among the heaviest holders out there, but I think that they are the best mass-produced film holders available.
Tolerances are very tight and they are built to last.

James Pierce
20-Dec-2015, 21:47
I have new 8x10 Toyo holders, they don't smell. They are heavy, heavier than the Lisco ones I have. In 4x5 size there is no comparison, the Toyo holders are just much nicer. In 8x10 size they are still really nice, but I don't think the difference is a great. Metal dark slides vs plastic probably covers most of the weight difference.

Alan Gales
20-Dec-2015, 23:15
I have new 8x10 Toyo holders, they don't smell. They are heavy, heavier than the Lisco ones I have. In 4x5 size there is no comparison, the Toyo holders are just much nicer. In 8x10 size they are still really nice, but I don't think the difference is a great. Metal dark slides vs plastic probably covers most of the weight difference.

I was wondering about that. The 8x10 holders look different then the 4x5 ones. I've got 5 or 6 of the 4x5 Toyo holders that I bought slightly used. They are really nice.

James Pierce
21-Dec-2015, 04:31
I was wondering about that. The 8x10 holders look different then the 4x5 ones. I've got 5 or 6 of the 4x5 Toyo holders that I bought slightly used. They are really nice.

They both have an extra large opening at the bottom (flap where the film goes in and out) - plus I think the rebate is a bit larger with the 8x10 holders compared to others. I probably prefer the plastic dark slides, bit smoother and less sharp corners at the top.

Alan Gales
21-Dec-2015, 09:56
They both have an extra large opening at the bottom (flap where the film goes in and out) - plus I think the rebate is a bit larger with the 8x10 holders compared to others. I probably prefer the plastic dark slides, bit smoother and less sharp corners at the top.

Thanks James.