PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Stuff

ShannonG
18-Dec-2015, 14:31
This should be a fun thread...
Yup, so yesterday i shot 8 sheets,changing the set for 1/2 of them..When i set up my tanks (im a dip and dunker)in the darkroom i put the hypo tank ware my fix tank usually is,tuned on the lights after i thought i was fixing and ya know whoops. so today i re-shot the 2 sets .

So lets here your dumb stuff and/or whoops moments like turning on the lights when paper is out and such. (yup ive done that as well)

John Layton
18-Dec-2015, 14:48
So I've just photographed a group of business execs at a cocktail party - using my 4x5 with color neg film (years ago...so not sure what type exactly). At any rate...these guys (yes, all guys) really wanted to party...and didn't want to waste their time in front of my camera - so I needed to act quickly, and fired off a single exposure, immediately after which all the execs ran back to their party - except one who seemed interested in my camera. Having pulled out the film cassette without remembering to first insert the dark-slide (doh!) I immediately placed the cassette under my armpit...AS IF I COULD SAVE THE SHOT!! At any rate - the remaining exec. asked "do you think it will be OK?" I said definitely not - and conspired with him to round up what by that time was an extremely reluctant group of folks for a reshoot! To this day...I cringe when I think about this!

Bob Salomon
18-Dec-2015, 16:22
Shannon,
What is the difference between fixer and hypo?

ShannonG
18-Dec-2015, 20:15
for me anyway,,both prevents fading,one is more archival than the other,,the look of the neg is way different....you tell me BOB!
Shannon,

ghostcount
18-Dec-2015, 21:27
...i put the hypo tank ware my fix tank usually is,tuned on the lights after i thought i was fixing and ya know whoops....

Shannon,

for me anyway,,both prevents fading,one is more archival than the other,,the look of the neg is way different....you tell me BOB!

:confused:

"Photographic fixer is... sodium thiosulfate—commonly called hypo..." - Wikipedia

Tim Meisburger
19-Dec-2015, 03:48
Ya. All my fixer is hypo. I use only the straight stuff. Plain hypo. I think you are confusing hypo with stop or developer.

Willie
19-Dec-2015, 07:41
Do you mean "hypo clear"?

"BOB" is a LF treasure, knowlegeable and helpful to so many through the decades. He has earned respect, not disdain from an idiot.

Rael
19-Dec-2015, 08:08
My list is a litany of stupid beginner issues:

(1) Forgetting to stop back down after focusing wide open
(2) Shooting with empty film holders
(3) Double exposures because I forgot to flip the darkslide over after shooting
(4) Not noticing when the cable release lock is on when shooting in bulb mode
(5) Printing an 11x17 print, then sepia toning it before realizing I printed it backwards
(6) Pulling the dark slide before releasing the shutter after focusing
(7) To be determined, but I'm sure it'll be stupid.

Richard Wasserman
19-Dec-2015, 08:20
My list is a litany of stupid beginner issues:

(1) Forgetting to stop back down after focusing wide open
(2) Shooting with empty film holders
(3) Double exposures because I forgot to flip the darkslide over after shooting
(4) Not noticing when the cable release lock is on when shooting in bulb mode
(5) Printing an 11x17 print, then sepia toning it before realizing I printed it backwards
(6) Pulling the dark slide before releasing the shutter after focusing
(7) To be determined, but I'm sure it'll be stupid.

You're only up to 7 mistakes? Don't worry, keep at it and you list will grow dramatically! I'm at something like 1,263...

Michael R
19-Dec-2015, 08:58
The term "hypo" for fixer seems to have originated way back due to people mistakenly thinking the chemical they were using was hyposulfate rather than thiosulfate. For some reason the misnomer stuck, not only to fixer but to hypo clearing solutions, which technically should be called thio-clear :) .

For those interested, the forms of thiosulfate used are sodium (regular fixer) and ammonium (rapid fixer). The active compound in hypo clearing baths is sodium sulfite.

As for mistakes, I continue to make plenty of them - nearly always involving LF camera operation.

ckagy
19-Dec-2015, 10:16
Here's a good (small format) one for you.

I set up to roll a cassette of 35mm film yesterday, something I haven't done in a while. I taped the film to the spindle, fixed the spindle in the bulk winder, closed it up and started turning the crank for 24 exposures. Something didn't feel right. I looked down and saw the outside of the cassette sitting on the table next to me. D'oh! Now I've got a spare length of film to use to practice loading my Hewes reels.

-Chris

ShannonG
19-Dec-2015, 10:29
Yup hypo clear,,thought that was obvious since i allso mentioned fixer,but yes i meant hypo clear.thanks for clearing that up for me,,sometimes i cant explain myself very well.
Do you mean "hypo clear"?

"BOB" is a LF treasure, knowlegeable and helpful to so many through the decades. He has earned respect, not disdain from an idiot.

John Kasaian
19-Dec-2015, 11:47
Leaving the cable release at home on a rare New Year's Day when the Tioga Pass road was open.
I got so excited I threw my kit into the car without double checking.
I discovered my poverty at Tenaya Lake.

ghostcount
19-Dec-2015, 12:41

+1

LabRat
19-Dec-2015, 17:25

I set up to roll a cassette of 35mm film yesterday, something I haven't done in a while. I taped the film to the spindle, fixed the spindle in the bulk winder, closed it up and started turning the crank for 24 exposures. Something didn't feel right. I looked down and saw the outside of the cassette sitting on the table next to me. D'oh! Now I've got a spare length of film to use to practice loading my Hewes reels.

-Chris

But all you had to do was to bring it into the darkroom or changing bag, and snap the cassette on....

Oh well...

Steve K

Randy
19-Dec-2015, 20:18
As a young USAF photographer stationed in SD back in the early '80s, I had to ride around with a Lt and photograph numerous hotels and restaurants in the town for a briefing due to an up coming competition in which all the bases in the command would be sending their teams. After riding around with him for more than an hour and shooting a 36 exp roll of Ektachrome, I went back to the base photo lab to process. Something didn't feel right as I was rewinding the roll in my Nikon F3...that's because there was no film in it.
I immediately loaded the camera and drove myself back to town, trying to beat the fading daylight and trying to remember all the different hotels and restaurants. I guess I got it done because I never heard back from the Lt after giving him the slides the next day.

In another instance, same base, had to go take pictures of the base commander giving some award to one of the units. We all stood around waiting, the commander being obviously late. Finally, about 30 minutes after the ceremony was supposed to happen, we were told it would have to be rescheduled. I was complaining under my breath at what a waste of time that was. When I got back to the lab and proceeded to empty my camera bag out, I had several lenses, a flash, but no camera...it was sitting on the counter in the camera supply room, right where I had left it. I think I learned several lessons that day.

TrespasserWill
21-Dec-2015, 19:36
To err is human. To forgive ourselves sometimes takes years.

With best regards,

Stephen

Fr. Mark
21-Dec-2015, 20:02
Not completely shutting the film bag/box before turning on the lights. Ouch. Did it a second time. Oooouch.

Sirius Glass
23-Dec-2015, 16:00
Pulling the dark slide and then cranking the focal plane shutter. It makes a diagonal line across the negative.

HMG
23-Dec-2015, 18:53

-Chris

But you don't need to practice with Hewes reels.

Sirius Glass
23-Dec-2015, 19:46
I needed to practice with 35mm and 120 films on the Hewes reels.

ckagy
24-Dec-2015, 06:33
But you don't need to practice with Hewes reels.

Given how dumb I was with the bulk loader (twice! [nod to Steve K]) I'm not leaving anything to chance...

-Chris

LabRat
24-Dec-2015, 07:51
Given how dumb I was with the bulk loader (twice! [nod to Steve K]) I'm not leaving anything to chance...

-Chris

Ahh, 'ya musta had a hard day... Have another cup of coffee... Relax...

But let's cancel our hunting trip... Strange/scary things happen in the woods, 'ya know, 'ya know....

Happy happy, joy joy...

Steve K

Kyle M.
24-Dec-2015, 08:19
Pulling the darkslide, making the exposure, reinserting the darkslide to hear "crunch, crunch, crinkle." Then pulling the film holder out only to find the sheet of film neatly tucked in the bellows. I guess thats what you get when you put a sheet of film between the rails in the holder and the darkslide.