PDA

View Full Version : Why not thread for LF thefts with serial numbers?

Tin Can
17-Dec-2015, 09:00
Since many new LF users end up here for advice, news and research we could have a dedicated thread for LF thefts and serial #'s. A kind of clearing house?

This is NOT that thread. The suggested thread needs vetting by Mods and others for title, tone, style.

Discussion?

Steven Tribe
17-Dec-2015, 09:45
Excellent idea.

We must also remember there is, unfortunately, a thing called "postal loss" which would also add to reports.

Paul Cunningham
17-Dec-2015, 10:34
+1 for the idea. And easier to maintain than a list of "good" serial numbers.

Vaughn
17-Dec-2015, 14:56
I had gear stolen in 1995. If I posted the serial number of that sweet sharp Computar 210/6.3 and someone here eventually ended up with it, what would/should/could happen? It was covered by insurance, and I certainly would not expect it back. The Rolleiflex would be nice to get back, but the Rajah with the Deardorff 5x7 back had no numbers, but the Pentax Digital Spot did.

At this point, I would just be amused to hear where any of it might have turned up, but I think that technically, the insurance company owns all that stuff now. I imagine things could get sticky here with some people. Might make some ebay auctions interesting...

Willie
17-Dec-2015, 15:00
You end up with stolen merchandise, you lose it. A thief is always a converter and title to stolen goods does not pass when they are sold.

Wayne
17-Dec-2015, 15:23
I looked into this when I found my kayak online that had been stolen 13 years earlier. In fact the ad is still online even several years after this occurred. My insurance company said I still owned the kayak, but since they had compensated me for it I might have to pay something if I recovered it, but they wouldn't say how much unless I actually got it back. Anyway I never tested it because being more than 7 years the cops wouldn't do anything about it, and the seller had recently sold it to someone else so I couldn't go over there and grab it myself. Which I would have done.

So technically I believe your stuff is still yours.

I wonder if the current unsuspecting owner's insurance would cover it, if they wanted to give it back to you and there was no evidence of wrongdoing on their part. Probably not.

I had gear stolen in 1995. If I posted the serial number of that sweet sharp Computar 210/6.3 and someone here eventually ended up with it, what would/should/could happen? It was covered by insurance, and I certainly would not expect it back. The Rolleiflex would be nice to get back, but the Rajah with the Deardorff 5x7 back had no numbers, but the Pentax Digital Spot did.

At this point, I would just be amused to hear where any of it might have turned up, but I think that technically, the insurance company owns all that stuff now. I imagine things could get sticky here with some people. Might make some ebay auctions interesting...

Ginette
17-Dec-2015, 15:48
This is a good idea.
If it didn't stop the first thief, maybe the resellers who bought stolen stock at low cost to resell with high profit will think 2 times before buying large format stolen stock.

Oren Grad
17-Dec-2015, 16:12
Thanks to all for your thoughts; additional comments are welcome.

To properly weigh this idea we would also appreciate any thoughts about potential drawbacks of doing this, and any ways to avoid or minimize such drawbacks.

Dan Fromm
17-Dec-2015, 16:17
Interesting idea. I wonder how many potential buyers of LF gear visit this forum and would benefit from such a list and how many don't and wouldn't. Based on selling experience here and on eBay I suspect -- can't prove -- that very few people would benefit from it.

Tin Can
17-Dec-2015, 17:08
Interesting idea. I wonder how many potential buyers of LF gear visit this forum and would benefit from such a list and how many don't and wouldn't. Based on selling experience here and on eBay I suspect -- can't prove -- that very few people would benefit from it.

Thieves will not benefit...

I would surely check a list of hot gear before buying. That would help me, selfish man that I am.

TXFZ1
17-Dec-2015, 17:12
Thanks to all for your thoughts; additional comments are welcome.

To properly weigh this idea we would also appreciate any thoughts about potential drawbacks of doing this, and any ways to avoid or minimize such drawbacks.

I think the idea has good intent.

Most SN are visible on lens in the FS section, anyone can list it in the stolen section and then fireworks. A do not have bill of sales for most of my gear other than emails, which I doubt are legit. A suggestion is a verfication of stolen item like a police report (which can be also faked). Now every FS would require some blur of the SN's to avoid some prankster. Just thinking outside the box.

David

Paul Cunningham
17-Dec-2015, 17:23
If an item appears on the "hot list" then it is likely that it will not be offered for sale on this forum.

This is a disadvantage only for the seller, who is deprived of a market. This would likely be of no advantage to the person who lost it, unless it is offered for sale by an unknowing seller and then "discovered" either by the original owner or someone else. It might even hinder the recovery of a stolen item.

The worst case scenario (that I can imagine) is that someone posts a false claim against something they have seen for sale. This claim would probably not hold up, and seems unlikely among our members.

Ralph Barker
17-Dec-2015, 23:20
I can see a benefit to a potential buyer, namely, avoiding buying stolen merchandise. The benefit to the person reporting the theft might be much less. The person trying to sell the (alleged) stolen merchandise would be, of course, the loser.

Unfortunately, the core issue is verification of ownership, something the forum cannot become involved in. Worse, if someone claims a reported theft is false, we might be put in a position of having to remove the post reporting the theft due to liability for libel. Thus, I don't think the idea is viable, even though well intended.

The original owner might be better served by reporting the attempted sale to the police department at which they filed the original theft report, and/or their insurance company. Those entities can then advise the original owner of an appropriate course of action.

Steven Tribe
18-Dec-2015, 00:26
"."................... Unfortunately, the core issue is verification of ownership..............

Which is why writing serial numbers down in a little black book is not enough. Photo documentation is essential.