PDA

View Full Version : Wista SP bubble level chalk?

newt_on_swings
14-Dec-2015, 20:19
So today I received a wide angle bellows for my wista. Upon installing it, I found a white chalky substance rubbed onto the leather of the bellows. Worried that it was mold from somewhere inside the camera perhaps I looked into the camera body and it turns out right under the bubble level there is a chalk button. I did a quick search and I could find no information on this. Is this even supposed to be there? Was this plastic that's deteriorating? (I have not seen such a thing happen) Should I be worried about my bubble level and the liquid inside? If it's supposed to be there or is it safe to remove? What purpose does it serve? Thanks in advance. Please see the included picture of said chalk button in the top right corner.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/14/aac988f88bbdac51c0f1f564c85db1cc.jpg

roger-wilco-66
15-Dec-2015, 07:46
Don't really know what the purpose is behind that "chalk button", but it seem to be visible in the manual (first pages):

http://www.cameramanuals.org/prof_pdf/wista_45_sp_vx.pdf

Maybe you're right and it is just deteriorating plastic? Is the liquid level in the bubble finder full? Maybe something seeped out and ate the plastic?

Cheers,
Mark

PS:
Those eyes on the lensboard are funny :-)

Wayne
15-Dec-2015, 07:55
Interesting. Its there in mine, but its not deteriorating like yours. I had to scrape it with my nail to see any chalky material.

newt_on_swings
15-Dec-2015, 08:48
Thanks Wayne, I had a bit of a suspicion that this plastic deterioration was the case. There's no real reason for there to be chalk in such a spot unless they put it there it there just to mark my bellows haha. Well it comes off as easily as rubbing a stick of blackboard chalk. Not sure if I should scrape it all off and possibly break the bubble level. Or perhaps seal it with glue or some clear acrylic or nail polish.

Doremus Scudder
15-Dec-2015, 09:17
I suspect that the "button" isn't chalk at all, but a plug of some sort for the bubble level (plastic, hard rubber, etc.) that is decomposing. I would check with other owners of the same camera, but likely you'll need to seal it with something.

Best,

Doremus

Bob Salomon
15-Dec-2015, 11:06
Thanks Wayne, I had a bit of a suspicion that this plastic deterioration was the case. There's no real reason for there to be chalk in such a spot unless they put it there it there just to mark my bellows haha. Well it comes off as easily as rubbing a stick of blackboard chalk. Not sure if I should scrape it all off and possibly break the bubble level. Or perhaps seal it with glue or some clear acrylic or nail polish.
Nippon, in NYC, has all of the Wista parts that were at Marflex, including new levels. Why don't you show it to them and, if necessary, just buy a replacement level from them?

Alan Gales
15-Dec-2015, 11:34
Nippon, in NYC, has all of the Wista parts that were at Marflex, including new levels. Why don't you show it to them and, if necessary, just buy a replacement level from them?

Does Nippon carry the lens board eyeballs too, Bob?

newt_on_swings
15-Dec-2015, 11:34

Thanks Bob, that may work too. I should give them a call or stop by when I have a chance. Though I bet I'm in for a sticker shock. The last time I brought in my wista and left it for a week there two years ago they asked $380 for a cla with no replacement parts or $413 with tax. Ouch.

It looks like just a common bubble level in a white base. Though it is counter sunk deeply into a internal metal protrusion. I don't even use it as I level off my tripod head with its level, then use a 3 axis level set in the camera shoe to level that off as well. I just don't want it rubbing up on the leather every time I change to the wide angle bellows or the possibility of it cracking and leaking out when I least expect it.

newt_on_swings
15-Dec-2015, 11:39

Haha Alan, I used to bring in my personal cameras where I work to teach kids photography and the wiggly eyes always got a crack out of them. They have their own Cambo monorail now there that they learn on and different lens boards for that, but I just left them on mine there as it still gives me a laugh with the lens as a big nose.

Bob Salomon
15-Dec-2015, 12:01

They might have some, but it would be doubtful. A camera store like B&H, Adorama, Foto Care, etc would be a better source.

Alan Gales
15-Dec-2015, 13:08
They might have some, but it would be doubtful. A camera store like B&H, Adorama, Foto Care, etc would be a better source.

Thanks, Bob. I might pick up some pipe cleaner tails as well.

Alan Gales
15-Dec-2015, 13:12
Haha Alan, I used to bring in my personal cameras where I work to teach kids photography and the wiggly eyes always got a crack out of them. They have their own Cambo monorail now there that they learn on and different lens boards for that, but I just left them on mine there as it still gives me a laugh with the lens as a big nose.

Yeah, goofy stuff like that is great for "breaking the ice" with kids. I used to do slight of hand magic tricks with coins. :)