PDA

View Full Version : Saunders/LPL 4500 II power plug compatibility

seezee
14-Dec-2015, 11:18
Another question. The enlarger arrived this morning with a non-US power plug. It's 4 prongs & doesn't appear on the World Standards (http://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plugs-and-sockets/) website. Any idea what this is & how to adapt for US sockets?

TXFZ1
14-Dec-2015, 11:21
The 4 prongs will connect to a power supply which then connect the electrical source.

David

seezee
14-Dec-2015, 11:33
The 4 prongs will connect to a power supply which then connect the electrical source.

David

Readily available on fleaBay. Thanks for the quick reply. I'll be ordering one today or tomorrow.

ic-racer
14-Dec-2015, 19:12
You might want to track down the manual for that before plugging anything into the wall. That Molex 5404 carries a low-voltage on that enlarger.

seezee
15-Dec-2015, 17:26
I ordered a manual & some other parts from KHB Photografix (http://www.khbphotografix.com/LPL/) in Canada yesterday. Buying a refurbished power supply tomorrow.

Luis-F-S
15-Dec-2015, 18:33
It's a great enlarger, you'll enjoy it! Make sure you get the older style power supply with the square plug not the newer Omega with the round plug. Sometimes, power supplies come cheap on the web. It's worth having a spare. I bought a spare 250W lamphead & the regulated Omega power supply for under $100 on the bay! You just have to be patient and keep an eye out. L

ic-racer
16-Dec-2015, 08:13
Yes that is a nice enlarger. Did you get a 150mm lens?

seezee
16-Dec-2015, 15:34
It's a great enlarger, you'll enjoy it! Make sure you get the older style power supply with the square plug not the newer Omega with the round plug. Sometimes, power supplies come cheap on the web. It's worth having a spare. I bought a spare 250W lamphead & the regulated Omega power supply for under $100 on the bay! You just have to be patient and keep an eye out. L

I bought a refurb from a fleaBay seller for $83. If I have some $ in January I'll buy a 2nd one from him (he has 3 more).

seezee
16-Dec-2015, 15:36
Yes that is a nice enlarger. Did you get a 150mm lens?

Came w/ a 50mm El-Nikkor; I bought a 150mm El-Nikkor for $75. Waiting for the 53mm diameter lens cone to arrive, along with all the other miscellaneous parts & accessories I need to get this going. Balked at the price for the focusing aid, but I may buy it later if it's too much of a pain to use w/o it.

ic-racer
16-Dec-2015, 16:40
Came w/ a 50mm El-Nikkor; I bought a 150mm El-Nikkor for $75. Waiting for the 53mm diameter lens cone to arrive, along with all the other miscellaneous parts & accessories I need to get this going. Balked at the price for the focusing aid, but I may buy it later if it's too much of a pain to use w/o it.

Peak-1 grain focuser is essential to check the corners for sharpness. It is the only one out there. You don't need it to start, but keep it in mind as you progress. One problem with enlarging large format negatives (vs 35mm) is the grain can be invisible or not rendered on the print. This makes it easy to print with one or many corners that are not in focus or not resolved well during the enlarging process.

seezee
30-Dec-2015, 12:17
Peak-1 grain focuser is essential to check the corners for sharpness. It is the only one out there. You don't need it to start, but keep it in mind as you progress. One problem with enlarging large format negatives (vs 35mm) is the grain can be invisible or not rendered on the print. This makes it easy to print with one or many corners that are not in focus or not resolved well during the enlarging process.

I was actually referring to the extension that allows you to turn the focus knob when making very large prints (saves a lot of crouching and straightening up). But I did just buy a vintage PEAK Z. Koana from FleaBay. Turns out the seller is just down the road & so may hand deliver today!

emh
30-Dec-2015, 12:33
I have the focus extender. It comes in handy when I print 20x24 and larger. I'm 5'10", to give you an idea about arm length. How much extra did he want? They're surprisingly expensive.

Luis-F-S
30-Dec-2015, 13:10
I have the focus extender. It comes in handy when I print 20x24 and larger. I'm 5'10", to give you an idea about arm length. How much extra did he want? They're surprisingly expensive.

I think I've personally printed maybe six 11x14's my entire life. Print mostly 8x10. After 40 years in the darkroom, I might venture up to 16x20 next year! I actually own a VT2000 easel so might try it. L

seezee
8-Jan-2016, 12:52

The seller didn't have the extender. I was balking at the new retail price from KHB Photo up in Canada (about $100 USD). I bought my owner's manual, lens board, safety filter, negative holder, & a replacement lock knob from them, mostly through their fleaBay listings.