PDA

View Full Version : Small quantity metal cutting (with accuracy)

domaz
10-Dec-2015, 11:45
I need to get some metal cut to make lensboards for a couple metal fields cameras I want to try out. Does anyone know of any small quantity metal cutting service that's affordable? I've looked into sites like Online Metals and "Cut2SizeMetals" and their stated accuracy for cutting is not close to what you would need for a typical metal lensboard (+-0.125 inches). I have cut metal lensboards myself with a jigsaw before but the cuts aren't great that way and I find myself spending a long time cleaning up the cuts afterwards. Any suggestions on a service to cut metal or a better DIY method than a jigsaw?

vinny
10-Dec-2015, 11:48
Any shops cutting with typical shears won't offer that kind of accuracy.Find a machine shop.
I'm sure there are members with milling machines here who can do it (including myself but I'm way too busy).

Jim C.
10-Dec-2015, 11:58
Have you looked locally for water jet cutting cutting services in your area ?
The edges are a tiny bit rough but nothing that sandpaper couldn't take care of
and water jet cutting should be pretty accurate.

jeffreythree
10-Dec-2015, 12:47
Know anybody with a tablesaw or bandsaw with a decent fence? Both will cut aluminum just fine and closer tolerance than that .125", but not as close tolerance as something like a mill. Of course this only applies if you are going to use aluminum.

Tin Can
10-Dec-2015, 12:57
Zumba on eBay makes inexpensive lens boards. He made me 2 very tight tolerance aluminum flat boards with hole very nicely.

Find him under lens boards. But don't have him paint them, he wants to paint everything. I paint myself. He may even be member here. I have met him and seen his shop.

Jim Jones
10-Dec-2015, 20:19
A table saw with a fence and a sharp fine tooth blade lets me cut accurate flat lens boards from sheet aluminum. I can mill the rabbet on older style 1/4" thick boards with a router mounted on a table with a fence. The table saw could do a rougher but serviceable job of that, too.

Daniel Stone
10-Dec-2015, 20:57
Most fabrication shops have a "minimum order" amount, including the one where I work. Waterjet cutting is a very nice way of cutting pretty much anything, and you can cut quickly(but get a rough, saw-cut looking edge), or use a slower travel speed, and have a finish that almost looks as if it's been sanded with 180 grit sandpaper. If you are looking to have a quantity of something made to exacting standards, then waterjet cutting is a great way to go. However, if you are looking to save money, as Jim Jones said ^^^, a table saw with an appropriate blade installed can cut thin(1/8" and under ideally) aluminum with very good cut quality. Sanding with a palm sander to remove burrs left by the saw cut works great as well.

-Dan

Peter De Smidt
10-Dec-2015, 21:36
I machine Fortal aluminum fairly often with my table saw and a router.

LabRat
11-Dec-2015, 00:41
Depends on thickness...

For very thin stock (< 1/32") , finding someone with a sheet metal shear is best, or use an electronics nibbler, and file or sand the edge afterwards...

For thicker metals, my machine shop would cut the pieces slightly oversize on a bandsaw with a metal cutting blade, and clean up the cut on a milling machine...

Careful using power tools with large blades, as aluminium tends to be a little "sticky" in the cut areas while cutting, and if the alignment starts to go off, this will cause the blade to bind, causing overheating, bouncing around, and possibly sending the workpiece (and chips) flying... (Table saw is my LAST choice for aluminium)

Use plenty of cutting fluid or cutting wax if you cut it...

If I may mention here, using model plywood, basswood, hardwood, etc would be MUCH easier to cut & work, with standard garage power tools, or can often be cut with a utility knife, and sanded to the exact sizes... If you need a step in it, you can just add strips or another piece bonded to it... (Cross/orientating the wood grain on layered pieces results in very stiff/strong/flat pieces if the stock was fairly flat to start with (and well bonded and sealed)...

Steve K

el french
11-Dec-2015, 00:59
You could post an RFQ on CNCZone.com. You'll need good specifications and tolerances.

or

Emachineshop.com and protolabs.com are both online machining services that could do the job for you.

Jac@stafford.net
11-Dec-2015, 07:58
Emachineshop.com [...]

Very expensive to make just one of each size, but dirt cheap (each) if you order 100. Been there.

el french
11-Dec-2015, 19:26
Actually, I would just use the jig saw with a new blade and clean up the cuts afterwards with a file.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH-Bugq9nos

Bill_1856
11-Dec-2015, 19:31
What cameras are you needing boards?

el french
11-Dec-2015, 19:38
Here's another option: http://forums.matronics.com/download...b067c0a1e01684 (PDF file)

EdSawyer
11-Dec-2015, 20:37
Carbide blade and a chopsaw will work fine, even with aluminum one inch thick. It shouldn't really need any Lubrication for carbide tools and aluminum.

domaz
12-Dec-2015, 11:17
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. It sounds like doing it myself, one way or the other, is still the most economical option. For those who were curious for what cameras- I was interested in making a couple rough lensboard a for a Linhof 5x7 to try it out. I also have a Gowland-like camera that takes a strange size aluminum board (92mm square).

Leszek Vogt
12-Dec-2015, 12:03
I think this is feasible if you only had a sabre saw and a router. Cut close to the line....say 1/32 or 1/16th (mm ?) and then use a router to finish off: bit with a pilot bearing against straight edge. Conventional precautions are essential: eye protection, mask, and the item needs to be clamped well. You'd be surprised what sort of accuracy you'd get.....and no need to file anything, except the burrs. One more thing, make sure the material or supportive material are the same height or you'll be cutting it on an angle.

Les

scheinfluger_77
13-Dec-2015, 08:15
Zumba on eBay makes inexpensive lens boards. He made me 2 very tight tolerance aluminum flat boards with hole very nicely.

Find him under lens boards. But don't have him paint them, he wants to paint everything. I paint myself. He may even be member here. I have met him and seen his shop.

Do you mean zibma1? If so I didn't know he does metal. He does nice hardwood boards and I've purchased several.

adelorenzo
13-Dec-2015, 09:29
I've made perfectly good lens boards using a hacksaw and a file. My stock was an aluminum clipboard I had lying around.