PDA

View Full Version : 135MM Lens, But Which One?

Jeff Morfit
10-Dec-2015, 06:05
Trying to decide which lens is the better of the two, a Rodenstock-Sirnor 135mm, or the Nikkor-W 135mm. Both sound like good lenses, so little time to decide, so many choices.

Bob Salomon
10-Dec-2015, 06:26
Sironar, Sironar-N, Apo Sironar-N or Apo Sironar-S?

Jeff Morfit
10-Dec-2015, 07:15
Oopsie, make that a Sirnor-N model 135mm.

Steve Goldstein
10-Dec-2015, 08:09
The Nikkor-W and Sironar-N (or Apo Sironar-N) are essentially the same weight and both list a 200mm image circle at f/22. The Rodenstock takes 40.5mm filters, the Nikkor 52mm; step-up rings are cheap. My Rodenstock is plenty sharp. I have no personal experience with the 135mm Nikkor-W but other Nikkor LF lenses I own are fine performers.

Kevin Crisp
10-Dec-2015, 09:12
I have no personal experience with it, but there are a number of threads where people say their 135 Nikkor is disappointing compared to other Nikkor LF lenses. All of my Nikkors in different focal lengths have been fine.

BradS
10-Dec-2015, 10:27
Trying to decide which lens is the better of the two, a Rodenstock-Sirnor 135mm, or the Nikkor-W 135mm. Both sound like good lenses, so little time to decide, so many choices.

I've had both of these....in fact in the 135mm focal length, I've had the following: Sironar-N, Sironar-S, (several) Fujinon-W, Nikkor-W, Xenar...oh, and a handful of 135mm Optar.

I love the 135mm focal length on 4x5. It just seems "right".

The 135mm Sironar-S is, hands down, the best of them. I sold mine because it was "too precious". I rarely took it out of the house because I was always afraid something "bad" would happen to it. Sold the Nikkor-W for the same reason...the one I had was "new in box".

I still have the modern 135mm Fujinon-W, an Optar and a Sironar-N. I think the Fujinon-W is the most stellar performer of the three. It is almost on par with the Sironar-S but cost be about 1/4 what I paid for the sironar-S. The optar is just lovely and has a look all its own. I love this one too. It lives on the crown graphic. The sironar-N it is tiny, and produces an excellent quality image but, other than being small and light weight, it is no better or worse that the Nikkor-W.

Bottom line, they're all excellent. Each has unique qualities...the Sironar-S has marginally superior image quality but comes with a hefty price tag. The Fujinon-W is the real "sleeper" of the bunch...fantastic image, low cost. The rest are all kinda the same. Just slightly different size and shape. You cannot go wrong with any of them as long as they're in good condition.

Jim Galli
10-Dec-2015, 14:42
Jeff, the answer is one is an egg with brown shell and one is an egg with white shell. Get the cheaper egg.

Jeff Morfit
11-Dec-2015, 09:42
LOL, thanks for that great advice there Jim. Really appreciate everyone's input. Have a great weekend. Two week countdown to Christmas on now.

Alan Gales
11-Dec-2015, 10:34
Jeff, the answer is one is an egg with brown shell and one is an egg with white shell. Get the cheaper egg.

I like my eggs scrambled with black pepper on them.

adelorenzo
11-Dec-2015, 12:16
I was in the same boat recently, looking for a modern 135mm to replace my old Optar. I ended up going with the Nikkor as it was the "cheaper egg" and I've been totally happy.