PDA

View Full Version : Foam floor pads for darkroom comfort

jp
9-Dec-2015, 21:40
I got some cheap 1/2" thick foam floor pads at a local retailer of new junk probably for about $2-3 per 2' square. I think they are made for people who want a soft work area; such as to cover over concrete or tile temporarily.

They warm my floor up nicely. In the summer I like cool tile under my feet. This time of year, the floor pads are warm and soft. Let's just say 70f water temperature feels downright warm not cool or room temp.

Duolab123
9-Dec-2015, 22:08
Looks pretty sweet, last Christmas I decorated my darkroom with a string of Kodak Brownie safelights and a dopey electric fireplace, the flickering red "flames" seemed to me to be about a Wratten OA equivalent ��

StoneNYC
10-Dec-2015, 01:49
I wouldn't be walking barefoot on a darkroom floor, just a suggestion but your foot skin absorbs a lot and all those spilled chemicals won't do your body any good.

Best wishes.

jp
10-Dec-2015, 06:12
Stone, my darkroom floor stays clean and for me, it's a clean place to be without shoes.

I did learn not to weld in sandals though; I thought as long as I wore something I'd reduce electrocution risk, but sandals don't stop burning molten metal from bouncing off my feet. I hopped around for a bit.

ShannonG
19-Dec-2015, 11:01
i have those matts in my darkroom as well as in my studio,any ware i stand for a long time.they help my feet and back from hurting so much.

Oren Grad
19-Dec-2015, 11:35
I use a bunch of those in my darkroom too - I have them interlocked to cover most of the space between my wet-side bench and my enlarger bench, where I spend most of my time standing. It helps a bit; the floor underneath is thin tiles on a concrete base, which is about as hard as it gets and becomes pretty fatiguing as the hours wear on.

vinny
19-Dec-2015, 12:23
I went with some thick foam pads 5/8" I think when I built my latest darkroom. The existing floor was hardwood and I didn't want to mess that up so I cut a heavy duty tarp to fit and put the foam tiles over that. Already saved my once with a large spill of fixer. Very comfy to stand on all day.

Jerry Bodine
20-Dec-2015, 18:28
When I built my darkroom on a concrete basement floor, I went to Lowe’s and bought enough interlocking rubber pads similar to the OP’s to cover the entire area between the wet and dry sides over the full length of the room, about 15 ft long and 30+ inches wide. I didn’t want any edges that could trip me when moving around. The only real difference between mine and the OP’s is that mine have a grid of ¾-inch dia holes @ 1.5” on-center through to the concrete. I didn’t think about that when I bought them, but it proved to be a valuable feature when I experienced a minor spray leak in a wet side hose connection to a sink sprayer while I wasn’t in the room. I just happened to go in there shortly after the spray started and found that I’d inadvertently left a gate valve (next to the sprayer) partially open, and there was just enough pressure on the hose joint to start the leak. I saw that most of the water was trapped in those holes, so I used a wet/dry shop vac to suck up the water in the holes and then lifted the pads to mop up under them. And, yes, much comfort is experienced under foot. Temperatures year round here are such that it’s always comfortable (with shoes on).

Sirius Glass
20-Dec-2015, 18:31
I use a wide thick pad on top of the carpet in my dry darkroom. There are never any chemical spills in the dry darkroom. In the wet darkroom my chemistry techniques are good enough to keep the marble floor dry.

jp
20-Dec-2015, 18:36
I use a wide thick pad on top of the carpet in my dry darkroom. There are never any chemical spills in the dry darkroom. In the wet darkroom my chemistry techniques are good enough to keep the marble floor dry.

The pads with holes in them are great too; sort of expensive for the light use my darkroom gets. I used to stand on them in a previous job where I stood on a boat deck. The comfort and traction were appreciated. We cleaned them and under them every day.

Stephen Thomason
21-Dec-2015, 21:54
Stone, my darkroom floor stays clean and for me, it's a clean place to be without shoes.

I did learn not to weld in sandals though; I thought as long as I wore something I'd reduce electrocution risk, but sandals don't stop burning molten metal from bouncing off my feet. I hopped around for a bit.

I set the back yard on fire welding a couple of years ago. Funny what molten metal does to dry grass.

Old-N-Feeble
21-Dec-2015, 23:00
Stone is right. Those foam pads absorb chemicals no matter hard you try to keep them clean. I'd at least wear sandals... and trade those out occasionally too.

Drew Wiley
22-Dec-2015, 12:00
I prefer the grid mats made from old tires. They hold up well, and you just need to take them out and hose them off from time to time.

Graham Patterson
22-Dec-2015, 14:03
I have some in my darkroom, and we also put some in the garage where the washer and dryer live. Definitely reduces fatigue, and makes for a warmer floor. It also helps if you drop something - it might actually bounce 8-)

Scott Davis
23-Dec-2015, 09:14
My darkroom is small enough that the space between the sink and the enlarger is about 24-30" wide and about 6' long. I was able to get a single high-density foam mat I think at Costco (it's been a while) that almost completely covers that space. It is a true godsend when doing a long darkroom session.