PDA

View Full Version : Tamrac Mirage 6 for 4x5 Chamonix?

Sharon
7-Dec-2015, 15:13
Hi, I'm just wondering if by any chance anyone out there can tell me if a 4x5 Chamonix camera will fit in the top compartment of a Tamrac Mirage 6 bag. According to the manufacturers' dimensions of bag and camera, it should; but I know that theory can differ from practice. I've also just bought a multi-lens case from Bruce at Photobackpacker (at least, I hope I did--I got my order confirmation but they're now saying out of stock!), which sounds like it should fit nicely in the bottom half of the Mirage 6.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that someone can give me a solid answer--I've been trying really hard to find the most lightweight, economical-with-space bag to fit the gear that I am amassing, as I'm too small and not strong enough to carry a big or heavy bag. (I also have a short, chunky and heavy tripod, which I want to be able to mount centrally on my bag rather than on the side, to avoid unbalancing myself.) I've looked at spec after spec of bags, dithered and come up with elaborate engineering solutions, but the Tamrac Mirage 6 seems about right...so long as the camera fits!

I'm sure someone is going to suggest the short-torso P3 pack, and I'd love it if I thought that was actually the perfect bag, but it is probably bigger than I need, certainly quite a bit heavier than many other options, and doesn't appear to have a secure central tripod mount (though I could be wrong on that one).

Thanks in anticipation ;) ,
Sharon

Kirk Gittings
7-Dec-2015, 15:50
Just a thought. How the weight is distributed is more important than a few extra pounds and in this regard the current PBP packs distribute the weight properly and feel lighter as a result. I've had a lot of photo backpacks including Tamracs and earlier PBP models and this one is the best I have ever used.

Sharon
7-Dec-2015, 16:02
Thanks Kirk. I'm sure you're right about weight distribution being important, but I don't really know...the Tamrac is about 2.4 lb and the P3 is about 4.2 lb and I think is much bigger. Dunno, maybe I should think again...?

(See? Still dithering!)

Kirk Gittings
7-Dec-2015, 16:13
IME 1.8+ pounds on a "real" backpack" like the PBP would seem lighter than a lighter backpack that had poor weight distribution. I believe that PBP is the only pack out there with a real BP suspension system. I may be wrong about that. Also FWIW I have only had various versions of PBP for some years and have not tried newer offerings of other brands.

Sharon
7-Dec-2015, 16:25
Hmmm, you might be right. To be honest, a large part of my issue is my tripod. It is short, chunky and top-heavy. When folded up, it is about 7.5 inches across at the top, where the weight is concentrated, about 3 inches across at the other end where the legs meet up, and about 11 inches high. Ideally, I would have it inside the bag, upside-down, right in the middle, so the weight is central and low in the bag. The only problem with that is that it doesn't leave a lot of space for camera and lens case in most bags. What I liked about the Tamrac was that the tripod could be externally but centrally mounted (though upright, not upside-down, so the weight would be held relatively high).

The P3 is relatively cavernous by comparison and I probably could fit the tripod inside the bag, with the camera and lens case above, with room for film holders and other bits and pieces around everything. But bags without compartments sort of freak me out--I'm never that confident about the integrity of dividers, and I would worry that the heavy tripod would somehow work loose the dividers and crush the camera.

Am I just being overly worried?

Kirk Gittings
7-Dec-2015, 20:05
I agree with you about dividers vs. compartments. I work oftentimes on the edge of storms in the SW so dust, grit and sand is always flying. Since I switched to PBP camera and lens cases my gear has been much more secure and cleaner. Ever picked up a BP with dividers and forgot to zip up the flap and had all your gear fall into the dirt? That won't happen with PBP gear and right now it is dirt cheap.

In addition if I were new to LF (don't know if you are) I think I would want a bag that was bigger than my current needs as I wouldn't know my future needs. Having excess room doesn't mean you have to fill it for now.

Sharon
8-Dec-2015, 02:21
Thanks Kirk. I'm reasonably confident about what gear I want and need, and also reasonably confident that I need to be ruthless and efficient as I just can't carry a whole lot of extraneous stuff. I want to do the opposite of buying a big bag in case I want to carry more :) .

Photobackpacker
9-Dec-2015, 20:07
Yours shipped today, Sharon. :)

Hi, I'm just wondering if by any chance anyone out there can tell me if a 4x5 Chamonix camera will fit in the top compartment of a Tamrac Mirage 6 bag. According to the manufacturers' dimensions of bag and camera, it should; but I know that theory can differ from practice. I've also just bought a multi-lens case from Bruce at Photobackpacker (at least, I hope I did--I got my order confirmation but they're now saying out of stock!), which sounds like it should fit nicely in the bottom half of the Mirage 6.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that someone can give me a solid answer--I've been trying really hard to find the most lightweight, economical-with-space bag to fit the gear that I am amassing, as I'm too small and not strong enough to carry a big or heavy bag. (I also have a short, chunky and heavy tripod, which I want to be able to mount centrally on my bag rather than on the side, to avoid unbalancing myself.) I've looked at spec after spec of bags, dithered and come up with elaborate engineering solutions, but the Tamrac Mirage 6 seems about right...so long as the camera fits!

I'm sure someone is going to suggest the short-torso P3 pack, and I'd love it if I thought that was actually the perfect bag, but it is probably bigger than I need, certainly quite a bit heavier than many other options, and doesn't appear to have a secure central tripod mount (though I could be wrong on that one).

Thanks in anticipation ;) ,
Sharon

Sharon
11-Dec-2015, 01:37
Thanks Bruce--saw the email with the tracking and have been checking it obsessively :) . (The modern equivalent of walking out to look in the mailbox every five minutes, I guess!)

Also have just purchased a Chamonix and am hoping both arrive in time for me to take advantage of the NZ summer. Or, what passes for summer here in Wellington ;) ...

Thanks very much!
Sharon