PDA

View Full Version : Adapting B&J 8x10 back to Agfa Studio Camera

Robert Oliver
6-Dec-2015, 21:35
About to modify my B&J 8x10 film back to fit my 8x10 Agfa studio camera.

Seems simple enough.... Am I under thinking this?

I just need reduce the dimensions by cutting 1/8 off both the top and the right side of the back. (Cutting 1/8 off the outside and its light trap as well)

For some reason I don't want to make a mistake that renders my back useless for both my B&J and my Agfa (I have a lighter duty 8x10 back for my B&J)

Maybe I should practice on a spare 5x7 back first!

Tin Can
6-Dec-2015, 21:55
Your pic doesn't show much, but maybe you could do it by addition instead?

Perhaps add a spacer layer to adapt one to the other without modifying either piece. I use hobby shop basswood for this type of thing.

Since it's studio only camera, gaff tape works wonders for odd combinations, nobody knows about the tape, but you.

Yes the pins need to be addressed, but I often strengthen back pin connections with more GAFF tape.

Practice is a great idea.

Robert Oliver
6-Dec-2015, 21:58
I'm not picturing the spacer layer.... I don't mind making a permanent change to the back.

IanG
7-Dec-2015, 02:29
Ideally you need to take 1/16th off each side. I've had too do just the opposite add 2mm to each side of an unknown (to me) US 7x5 back (a size never made or sold in the UK.Europe) to get it to fit my spares Seneca City View. In fact I added wood slightly too thick then linished it back to the correct size.

I think though you'd be better finding a different back as modifying the B&J one will compromise using it with the B&J camera.

Ian

Drew Bedo
7-Dec-2015, 06:16
Robert,

This camera and the orphaned B&J ground glass back may not be highly desirable collectables, but they represent a by-gon day, when this level of workmanship was an every-day reality. Sure, there are view cameras made to this standard (and higher) of wood working today, but no-one is building what you have anymore or ever will again.

Please find a way to use your pieces together without changing them,
The quick and inexpensive approach is the everpresent Duct/Gaffer tape solution. this will get you shooting in under an hour.

The next level of complexity is making a step-up spacer that fits both the camera and the gg back. From your OP you seem to have the tools and ability to do this. This will leave the B&J back intact and you will have the option of selling/trading it off later for something that fits the camera.

A third option is more costly and will take more time, but will be a more professional presentation of your equipment. Richard Ritter does greatt work and has a presence on this forum as a member. Work with him to get an adapter made. There are others who can do this , but I am familure with RR from the LFP forums.

I do not look on possesion of one of these old cameras as "ownership" so much as stewardship. My Kodak 2D and my Zone VI cameras are great users, yet . . . I feel that it is important to look on it more as holding and caring for them to pass on, wether by sale, gift or trade, to some younger photographer who may not have been borne yet.

jp
7-Dec-2015, 17:57
The adapter frame would be like a picture frame of wood that is cut to fit properly into the camera and to properly mate on the other side the to the back. You can paint it black too.

Robert Oliver
8-Dec-2015, 06:38
I guess I don't see modifying a frame as a bad thing... I see two 8x10 cameras that were both missing 8x10 backs being reborn to their original purpose.

The adapter frame is an intriguing idea however.

How thick is the adapter?

mdarnton
8-Dec-2015, 07:13
I'm not at work right now to measure, but one way to do it would be to take a piece of 6mm hardwood plywood (from The Art Store) cut to fit the camera. Cut a hole in that big enough for the film behind, face the side facing the back, and then screw the old back on the adapter from the adapter side. That way you'd only have a few small screw holes on the original.

But I'd just cut the back to fit, myself. The Ansco is a better camera than the B&J, so it would be an upgrade for the back., not destruction. In fact I've got an eye out for a certain B&J back for my 8x10 Ansco, and that's what's going to happen to it if I ever find one.

Drew Bedo
8-Dec-2015, 07:21
Expedient, convenient, inexpensive and doable . . .just doesn't feel right—but that's just me, so do it if you have to.

coisasdavida
8-Dec-2015, 17:05
You have to make sure the back is thick enough to be grabbed by the bottom fittings. The Ansco back has two sides with square metal corners and two sides with pins for the top fittings. The thickness of the metal corners is very important.

Depending on the shortest lens you use, an adapter may not be viable.

Tim Meisburger
8-Dec-2015, 23:17
I'm with Michael. Just cut it to fit. And with Ian, take the same amount off both sides so it remains centred. Easy job; you'll be done in ten minutes. Measure twice, cut once.

Robert Oliver
9-Dec-2015, 10:39
You have to make sure the back is thick enough to be grabbed by the bottom fittings. The Ansco back has two sides with square metal corners and two sides with pins for the top fittings. The thickness of the metal corners is very important.

Depending on the shortest lens you use, an adapter may not be viable.

The back that came with my camera... (aftermarket) doesn't have any metal corners and fits just fine. Here is are some detail shots of my sliding back where the back meets.

Robert Oliver
9-Dec-2015, 10:40
I'm not at work right now to measure, but one way to do it would be to take a piece of 6mm hardwood plywood (from The Art Store) cut to fit the camera. Cut a hole in that big enough for the film behind, face the side facing the back, and then screw the old back on the adapter from the adapter side. That way you'd only have a few small screw holes on the original.

But I'd just cut the back to fit, myself. The Ansco is a better camera than the B&J, so it would be an upgrade for the back., not destruction. In fact I've got an eye out for a certain B&J back for my 8x10 Ansco, and that's what's going to happen to it if I ever find one.

Any chance you can take a photo of your adapter and post? I would be very curious to see if I should travel that path