PDA

View Full Version : Toyo 810M Ground Glass Screen

Rod_B
16-Nov-2015, 16:04
Hi Everyone,

I know a lot of forum members use a Toyo 810M, so I'm seeking a little help please from any of you regarding how good or bad the standard ground glass is for viewing/focusing.

I normally use a 4x5 with a lovely high-brightness Maxwell screen and find this is fantastic, even in low light conditions. However, I've recently been trying to get to grips with my Toyo 810MII that I've had for a couple of years and hardly used. I find the Toyo screen really dark for viewing/composing/focusing and am wondering if there's a better alternative, or whether I just need to persevere. I know Toyo don't make an 8x10 fresnel and I'm not sure if Bill Maxwell does either (and could I afford it if he did!). There are 8x10 fresnel screens available on Ebay, but are they any better?

So far I've been using a Fujinon-W 210mm f/5.6 and Nikkor M f/9 300 mm. I quite often shoot under low light conditions, i.e. early morning/woodland areas. I don't really want to move to bigger/heavier Copal 3 lenses.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I see in an earlier posting that Ari had a modified screen, but not one that was readily available.

Kindest regards,

Rod.

Ari
16-Nov-2015, 16:53
Rod, you can order a borosilicate screen from Steve Hopf; Ian G here on the forum makes GGs as well, or you can try grinding your Toyo screen further.
Another option is a Yanke screen from eBay.
I, too, found the stock Toyo screen somewhat dim, but there are plenty of options available.

FWIW, I preferred using the screen alone (without Fresnel) on the Toyo, it made for much better loupe focusing, but that's a personal preference.

tgtaylor
16-Nov-2015, 16:56
I recall Toyo mentioning in its literature that they don't make fresnel screens for the 8x10's but suggested Yankee as a source of fresnel screens for their 8x10 cameras. I've been using the standard issue GG for my MII and 810G and found them quite bright. That wasn't the case with the 45CF which I placed a factory fresnel in.

Thomas

Rod_B
18-Nov-2015, 02:31
Rod, you can order a borosilicate screen from Steve Hopf; Ian G here on the forum makes GGs as well, or you can try grinding your Toyo screen further.
Another option is a Yanke screen from eBay.
I, too, found the stock Toyo screen somewhat dim, but there are plenty of options available.

FWIW, I preferred using the screen alone (without Fresnel) on the Toyo, it made for much better loupe focusing, but that's a personal preference.

Hi Ari,

Many thanks for your help and suggestions. I've been having another look/think about the screen and I guess it's the overall darkness that I find most difficulty with, so maybe a Fresnel option is the best starting place. However, I'll drop an email to Steve Hopf first about costs/delivery to the UK.

I'll report back when I've found a screen and tested it.

Kindest regards,

Rod.

Rod_B
18-Nov-2015, 02:38
I recall Toyo mentioning in its literature that they don't make fresnel screens for the 8x10's but suggested Yankee as a source of fresnel screens for their 8x10 cameras. I've been using the standard issue GG for my MII and 810G and found them quite bright. That wasn't the case with the 45CF which I placed a factory fresnel in.

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Many thanks for your comments and suggestions and good to know that the standard screen works for some - my ageing sight may well be the cause for most of my difficultiies!

It looks at the moment like a choice between the Steve Hopf screen and a Yankee. I'll let you know how I get on.

Kindest regards,

Rod.