PDA

View Full Version : Max print size on base with Beseler 45V-XL and 8x10 Conversion Kit?

Tim Layton
9-Nov-2015, 15:17
I have an opporutnity to pick up a 45V-XL with the 8x10 conversion kit. Does anyone know the max print size you can make on the baseboard with a 240mm lens?

Thanks

angusparker
9-Nov-2015, 16:43
If you want a wall mount for this set up let me know. That will increase you max print size quite a bit....

Tim Layton
9-Nov-2015, 16:49
Thanks. I will keep your info. I am going to see how big of a print I can make first, and then explore that option if needed.

If you want a wall mount for this set up let me know. That will increase you max print size quite a bit....

Tim Layton
9-Nov-2015, 17:59
Anyone have experience and an opinon about Nikkor 240mm F5.6 vs. Rodenstock Rodagon 240mm F5.6 for an 8x10 enlarging lens?

Kevin Crisp
9-Nov-2015, 18:08
The 210 Nikkor will work on this enlarger with an 8X10 negative. Since you want big prints....

Tim Layton
9-Nov-2015, 18:31
I thought the 210 was a 5x7 lens? You know that it covers 8x10 for sure?

The 210 Nikkor will work on this enlarger with an 8X10 negative. Since you want big prints....

Kevin Crisp
9-Nov-2015, 18:34
Yes, I know that from personal experience. Others have reported the same thing and hopefully they will chime in.

Tim Layton
9-Nov-2015, 18:52
Excellent, thank you.

Yes, I know that from personal experience. Others have reported the same thing and hopefully they will chime in.

Tim Layton
9-Nov-2015, 19:03
only down side is that it appears this is a bit of a unicorm to find, and if you do find one, it is crazy expensive...

Kevin Crisp
9-Nov-2015, 19:14
No it isn't -- the plain old EL Nikkor 210. The APO one is insanely expensive, but the regular ones often aren't very expensive.

There is a buy it now on the auction site for $268. I was going to say wait for one locally with less shipping cost, but I have no idea where you are located from your profile.

Kevin Crisp
9-Nov-2015, 22:20
Ok, I fired it up and checked. Assuming you have the XL rail option, with the Beseler head, and a 240 lens (I put the Beseler one on it that came with it) at the top of the rail an 8X10 negative projects to 41" wide on the baseboard. Actually it runs considerably off the baseboard, and the 41" is conservative since on one side it projects into my darkroom wall so I had to estimate on the right side. This is a minimum; the negative stage can be moved up and down depending on negative size and lens you are using. I had to lower the head on its separate bellows to get it focus at that height. You might be able to sqeeze a little more out of it.

I've never run the head up anywhere near this high but I don't print larger than 16x20. The cord on the Zone VI probe is too short for the towering head when you crank it way up.

I also double checked an the 210 Nikkor does cover an 8x10 negative.

Kevin Crisp
10-Nov-2015, 09:42
I did not check the 210 Nikkor at the top of the column. I have used it for 16x20 prints with no trouble with light fall off or sharpness.