PDA

View Full Version : Imacon photo scanner

Bob Barry
25-Feb-2005, 15:17
Does anyone have experience with the imacon photo scanner? I have problems getting my 6X9 cm negs sharp across the whole frame. Its Tri-x and it 's grain goes obviously out of focus toward the middle of the frame. With the flex holders I don't know how to fix this. I did try to tape the neg to hold it stretched but it didn't solve the problem.
Thanks
Bob

George Stewart
26-Feb-2005, 07:34
Are you scanning them in a 6x9 holder or a larger one perhaps? Are you scanning emulsion side up? The only other thing I can think of is that the holder might not be seated correctly. In other words, it should snap into the scanner and require significant force to extract-don't just let the scanner's magnet pull the holder in, you should give it some help (not during scanning of course).

Bob Barry
26-Feb-2005, 11:24
Thanks for responding. I am using the correct size holder. I know Imacon suggests that the the emulsion be face down. I have tried that and up and turning the neg around. I even warmed the neg with a hair drier to see if that would relax any "bump" in the flatness. The carrier is seated. This flextight Photo model does not have a focus function could the unit be incorrectly focused? This doesn't seem possible because the edges are very sharp. I am making big prints and I need the whole field sharp. It is obvious that it isn't sharp

George Stewart
1-Mar-2005, 09:57
I have the 343 (newer version of the Photo) and I think that Imacon calls for the imulsion to be up during scanning-check your manual. The scanner is fix-focused and should have been locked into position at the factory. If the edges are in focus, its probably not the scanner. I'd recommend trying to scan other film in the 6x9 holder, or the Tri-X in a smaller holder (6x7 for example), to see if its the scanner. Perhaps it the holder you are using.