PDA

View Full Version : Graflex body with Graflok and Rt Angle View Finder (MP-4)?

Drew Bedo
9-Nov-2015, 10:11
Anybody ever convert a Graflex Reflex to use a Graflok back on top and then put a right angle viewer from an MP-r on it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281847279048?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It would make an eye-level viewfinder slr in 4x5. Much like a '20s era big bertha type of camera.

Is this a possibility without massive surgery on the camera body?

Jac@stafford.net
9-Nov-2015, 10:43
That is a reflex finder for a Polaroid copy stand camera. I have one disassembled to use the excellent surface mirror for another project.

If you go to this page http://www.glennview.com/copy.htm and scroll down to POLAROID REFLEX VIEWER you can find that it is supposedly easily adapted. I never tried. Hope this helps a little.

EdSawyer
9-Nov-2015, 13:37
I've tried it with the Cambo 90degree viewer and Graflex SLR. The downside is it reverses the image (again) top-to-bottom, since now there are 2 mirrors in the path.

The best solution I found for eye-level viewing was using the Prism finder from an RZ67 on a 3x4 RB Super-D converted to 4x5 back. It covered about 60% of the frame, so was great for framing but you had to imagine the rest of the frame for composing. But, still a great solution, esp. for handheld usage. I posted pics of it here somewhere on the site in the past.

Darko Pozar
9-Nov-2015, 13:55
I purchased one through eBay and have used it a couple of times finding it too cumbersome. I somewhat abandoned the piece when it fell off my Graflex and broke into pieces on a road when I attempted some photography. However, as a simple apparatus it was easily reassembled.
My conclusion is that I will use it in a studio environment.

Drew Bedo
9-Nov-2015, 21:04
Made this conversion before for use on a Speed Graphic. Worked well enough, but was heavy and cumbersome to use in the field. So I know that the Polaroid viewer can be adapted for use on a Graflok back.

I was wondering if anyone had ever managed to put a Graflok back on top of a Graphic Reflex (any model), then put the MP-4 viewer on .

Most of us can manage the upside-down and backwards already . . .This rigging would allow "action" or wildlife type shooting in LF with pretty long lenses.