PDA

View Full Version : Compur shutter serial numbers

humdee
5-Nov-2015, 17:27
I have two rim-set Compur shutters with 6-digit serial numbers prefixed by the letter "A" and with Zeiss lenses. According to the serial number lists that are on-line, the numbers themselves would date these from before rim-set Compurs were made. Something doesn't add up. Does anyone know what the "A" prefix on the serial no. means?

David Lindquist
5-Nov-2015, 18:07
Based on what I have, I think they must have started their serial number sequence over with an "A" prefix at some point (post WW II?). In particular I have an f/7.7 Ektar made in 1959 (S/N RT xxx) in a No. 1 Compur shutter, s/n A554776. That's a lower number than my oldest dial set Compur, s/n 573039. I also have several C.P. Goerz Am. Opt. Co./ Goerz Optical Co., Inc lenses in No. 1 Compur shutters bearing serial numbers with an "A" pre-fix.

I'd really like to see serial number data for these later Compur shutters. I'd really really like to see serial number data for Goerz lenses beyond what seems to be currently available (about 779xxx).

Refreshing my memory here: http://motamedi.info/serial.htm,
It looks like the "highest" non-A prefixed Compur shutter serial number is 8,500,000, circa 1952. So I'm guessing they started over with an "A" prefix after that.

And the "highest" American made Goerz serial number on this site is 791,500, circa 1955.
David

humdee
5-Nov-2015, 19:26
Thanks for the reply.
So both of us have 2 No. 1 Compurs with an A prefix, and the serial number lists don't mention this at all. Hmm. BTW, I expect both of mine are pre-war (no flash sync, old style script).

David Lindquist
5-Nov-2015, 19:49
Thanks for the reply.
So both of us have 2 No. 1 Compurs with an A prefix, and the serial number lists don't mention this at all. Hmm. BTW, I expect both of mine are pre-war (no flash sync, old style script).

Well that certainly doesn't fit with my speculations about when the "A" prefix came in to use ;). What lenses do you have mounted in these? That could help date them. Arne Croell has some publications here: http://www.arnecroell.com/publications about both Carl Zeiss Jena and Carl Zeiss Oberkochen that I think include information on serial numbers and years of production.

David

humdee
5-Nov-2015, 21:20
Well that certainly doesn't fit with my speculations about when the "A" prefix came in to use ;). What lenses do you have mounted in these? That could help date them. Arne Croell has some publications here: http://www.arnecroell.com/publications about both Carl Zeiss Jena and Carl Zeiss Oberkochen that I think include information on serial numbers and years of production.

The lenses are both f4.5 Zeiss Tessars, one 15cm (from 1930 based on serial no.), the other 13.5 (1939, and it's on a 1941 Speed Graphic). The interesting thing about the 13.5 lens and its shutter is that the first and last two digits of the lens serial no. match the first and last two digits of the shutter's serial no. Perhaps manufactured as matched pairs for Graflex?