PDA

View Full Version : Deardorff 810 lens board question

fuegocito
23-Oct-2015, 20:50
Greeting to all,

I have just realize something, I seem to have two different version of Deardorff lens boards, one with 4 mm thick edge, and the other one with 3mm thick edge?

My Deardorff takes the thinner edge...

The question is whether the thicker version a later version, hence more "standard"?

Not a big deal either way, just curious.

Robert

koh303
23-Oct-2015, 21:35
probably for a C1

fuegocito
24-Oct-2015, 07:46
Hmm, you mean my other "Deardorff " boards are actually for a different camera, Calumet C1?

And All Deardorff 810 variation takes a 3mm thick outer edge lens boards?

probably for a C1

John Kasaian
24-Oct-2015, 07:55
I bet Ken Hough would know.

Luis-F-S
24-Oct-2015, 09:01
I bet Ken Hough would know.

Don't bother Ken, he's busy refinishing my camera!

fuegocito
24-Oct-2015, 11:39
I just bought a couple after market DD810 lens boards and they are of the 4mm variety. That got me thinking that maybe the standard...

Both lens boards that I use right now I have made thinning modification in order for them to fit...

Tracy Storer
24-Oct-2015, 12:14
I don't know how old your camera is, but I have seen a little variation on lensboard fit mostly in earlier cameras. By 1952 or so, they had gotten pretty standard. It seems a "proud" 3/16" is the target thickness. I just measured a couple original boards I have and they are in the 0.195" range, but are tight in my early 1950 camera, they fit my 1956 (now sold) camera perfectly. Probably the thinking was that a tight board could be sanded to fit, but a rattly loose one is no good.

3mm is QUITE a bit thinner than 0.195".......

fuegocito
24-Oct-2015, 13:09
Thanks Tracy,

My camera's serial number is 1125, assuming if it's original to the camera. It has front swing and circular metal base plate and looks to be fairly late model. I have had several DD810 over the years, never at the same time :) so I don't remember if it's this one I inquired with Ken about its age. Some how I have year 1954 or 58 stuck in my mind.

The one board that I use regularly is an original DD board (meaning no DIY modification) and the outer edge thickness just under 1/8" or 3mm. But all my other DD boards are 4mm (3/16")

Tracy Storer
25-Oct-2015, 09:53
'54 sounds about right, I had a '56 with a 20xx#.

3mm is THIN for sure. You could remove the front rising panel and have it milled to standard depth, or have a stack of boards custom made.

fuegocito
25-Oct-2015, 19:32
Yeah, it's definitely an anomaly. Originally I thought I hacked down that one board to fit but when I check yesterday, it came that way to me. My handy work would have left plenty of evidences. I made that one board into an adapter to take linhof boards so I never needed to use more than that one board.

I love your solution of milling down the standard to accept the thicker standards.