PDA

View Full Version : If you were to make your own Large trays would you do anything special?

Liquid Artist
5-Oct-2015, 18:12
I will hopefully be making some 20 x 24" print trays out of Plexiglass in the next day or two.

I'll hopefully be using 1/4 or so inch plexi for them.

Just hardware store handles for now.

The one real change over the traditional tray that I'm planning is installing some sort of drain. Possibly just a Petcock. Just because it can be a bugger dealing with larger full trays.

Is there anything else you would want if you were making your own?

vinny
5-Oct-2015, 18:15
Use the proper solvent (weld-on or similar) and make sure your edges to be bonded are very smooth.
I saw some trays recently with a drain in the corner located on the bottom. It was just a short tube with a rubber stopper in it.

Willie
5-Oct-2015, 18:56
Would just use 2x4's without nailing together. Lay them in the sink and use plastic 'drop cloth' laid in them. When done, remove a 2x4 and let the chemistry down the drain.

Jim C.
5-Oct-2015, 19:03
Personally I would forget plexi, too heavy and fragile to move around. I would either do a hand layup of fiberglass and epoxy or
vacuum bag them them over a custom made form.

Liquid Artist
5-Oct-2015, 19:41
I was originally going to just use wood, along with plastic sheeting.
However the hardware store here has very little stock.
So I am thinking, if I need to go for a drive for materials something a little more permanent is better.

Fiberglass was on my mind too.

LabRat
5-Oct-2015, 20:54
Acrylic is expensive, and has to be quite thick to support itself, and it retains some moisture...

I haven't priced these yet, but someone across the hall from my storage unit was moving a few large, new looking, VERY heavy gauge, VERY attractive, deepish sided, stackable trays that made my mouth water (and drool)!!! I asked him what those trays were used for, and he said they were for a hydroponics set-up... (Note to self; price these trays the next time I need oversize trays!!!)

Probably somewhat mass produced, attractive priced, and cheaper than the raw materials to build...

Steve K

Liquid Artist
5-Oct-2015, 23:25
Thanks Steve,
I just googled them up, and those trays basically start at $30. Which isn't too bad.

You got me thinking. This region once had more green thumbs per capita that anywhere else in Canada. So there may be some laying around somewhere.
I wonder if my ex wife would tell me :confused:

Sfroza
6-Oct-2015, 06:19
Recently, I checked with the local sheet-metal fabricator on the fabrication of 19 x 23 x 3 inch stainless steel trays. His quote for the work was, $40 apiece. Which at the time I thought was a little bit pricey, but with the benefits of stainless steels thermal properties and being a easy clean I think they are right in line. And they will last a lifetime.

Michael.

Ken Lee
6-Oct-2015, 06:25
You might find it easier to buy something like these Sterilite containers.

See http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/tech/devtray.php

At the size you're interested in, they may be called "storage".

John Kasaian
6-Oct-2015, 06:34
How about dry wall mixing tubs from the big box home improvement store?

LabRat
6-Oct-2015, 07:46
I quickly checked one of the hydroponics suppliers sites, and saw some kool darkroom (repurposed) stuff...

Those (flood) trays also have stand kits, so one could run a petcock underneath to drain the tray into a bottle, so no need to lift it...

The large flood tables could be used as a portable darkroom sink to hold other trays... (And stood upright for storage if used dry)

The trays are self structured to hold the weight of liquids + plants, so strong...

The chiller kit could be used as a water bath cooler...

etc...

Just hope no one thinks you are a "budding" Walter White....

Steve K

Old-N-Feeble
6-Oct-2015, 08:16
Steve... have a link to that hydroponics website?

LabRat
6-Oct-2015, 08:31
Hey O&F...

I just googled "hydroponic trays" and looked at the first one that came up... I'm hitting the sack now, but I'll poke around later, and post a link...

Steve K

MrFujicaman
6-Oct-2015, 08:37
Just go over to Home Depot and get the trays they sell to go under washing machines in case of a leak.

Bruce Schultz
6-Oct-2015, 11:08
Trays for water heaters would also work.

Fr. Mark
6-Oct-2015, 14:55
Check out a restaurant supply store. Might even get lids.

Mark Sawyer
6-Oct-2015, 16:03
I'd just buy used 20x24 darkroom trays, which usually go very inexpensively, and if a petcock or drain is needed, install it. (I think a siphon to a 5-gallon paint bucket would be a better alternative.)

Tin Can
6-Oct-2015, 16:09
I'd just buy used 20x24 darkroom trays, which usually go very inexpensively, and if a petcock or drain is needed, install it. (I think a siphon to a 5-gallon paint bucket would be a better alternative.)

I found a set 4 very nice used 20x24 trays and I like them. Even I, can handle them when pouring chemistry back and they fit inside the sink.

I also like the idea of 2x4's used as dams with plastic sheeting, for bigger or panoramic.

Good tips here.

Liquid Artist
6-Oct-2015, 21:11
I will probably go to a hydroponics store soon and check them out.
But for now I will just do the 2x4 trick.
Setting my darkroom set up in a small town does offer some challenges.

denverjims
7-Oct-2015, 15:13
May not work for 20x24 (unless it's for a Bengal tiger) but have found cat litter pans very reasonable up to 16x20 for ~$3.50. Work well.

Liquid Artist
7-Oct-2015, 18:28
Thanks Jim,
I would say that you can never have enough bigger trays, but I imagine some people here would prove me wrong.

Drew Wiley
8-Oct-2015, 13:49
The nice thing about doing your own plastic fabrication is that you can get any size you want, anytime. It's important that the edges be perfectly smooth and straight before solvent welding. And any holes you drill in acrylic for something like a drain attachment require a "steeple bit" specially made for plastics. Any
sizable ordinary drill bit might seize up and shatter acrylic. Since the final device doesn't need to be visually flawless, you can often save money finding scratched
remnants at plastic stores. Getting good edges requires either feeding the component pieces past a vertical Formica bit in a router table, vertical "jointer" style,
or using a high quality Festool rail saw with the appropriate plastic blade. Some expensive table or panel saws will work, but not many amateur ones.

Liquid Artist
9-Oct-2015, 10:30
The temp wooden trays did the job quite nicely.
I have to empty them now. 5 liters per tray.

I was thinking of using scratched plexi if the stores had any.
I still want to make a set. Although I don't print such large sizes often it's nice being able to.

bob carnie
9-Oct-2015, 10:35
I like Drew's Idea of welding plastic... I have around 8 in various size, hard grey plastic and they really take a beating and you can put handles on them... The ones I have hold up to 40 litres of chemistry therefore the handles become a necessity.
as well some people drill hoses in them(Me) to give a slow bottom drain for a large wash tray,

Most major plastic companies have people onsite that can do the welding to specs.... these units will last a very long time .

Tin Can
9-Oct-2015, 17:11
The nice thing about doing your own plastic fabrication is that you can get any size you want, anytime. It's important that the edges be perfectly smooth and straight before solvent welding. And any holes you drill in acrylic for something like a drain attachment require a "steeple bit" specially made for plastics. Any
sizable ordinary drill bit might seize up and shatter acrylic. Since the final device doesn't need to be visually flawless, you can often save money finding scratched
remnants at plastic stores. Getting good edges requires either feeding the component pieces past a vertical Formica bit in a router table, vertical "jointer" style,
or using a high quality Festool rail saw with the appropriate plastic blade. Some expensive table or panel saws will work, but not many amateur ones.

What is a steeple bit?

A quick Google found nothing.

Roger Thoms
11-Oct-2015, 07:33
What is a steeple bit?

A quick Google found nothing.

No idea, but for thinner plexi Unibits work well. Maybe Drew can elaborate on the steeple bit.

Maybe these, the tip is kind of steeple shaped. http://www.tapplastics.com/product/supplies_tools/plastic_tools_supplies/tap_plasdrill_bits/161

Roger

Tin Can
11-Oct-2015, 08:28
Thanks Roger. That seems to answer my question.

No idea, but for thinner plexi Unibits work well. Maybe Drew can elaborate on the steeple bit.

Maybe these, the tip is kind of steeple shaped. http://www.tapplastics.com/product/supplies_tools/plastic_tools_supplies/tap_plasdrill_bits/161

Roger

Richard Wasserman
11-Oct-2015, 10:48
Also, see— http://www.mcmaster.com/#plastic-cutting-drill-bits/=zbmtou