PDA

View Full Version : New member in Maryland

profvandegraf
28-Sep-2015, 15:28
Hello: I have been shooting digital of late but recently decided to dust off my film cameras. I started with my Olympus XA and Rollei 35s. Then I remembered! I have a Deardorff 8x10 in a box! I purchased this old beat up incomplete camera in about 1995, always meant to fix it up. Now seems like a good time. It will never be a pristine collectors item, I just want to get it to a good user type level of restoration. Think rat rod, not concourse. I have an old Kodak pre 1940? 10" lens mounted in a lens board but it's shutter is pretty balky. I'm not sure if it is worth the effort to have it cleaned and repaired but the glass is surprisingly clean, so maybe.. I plan on spending lots of time hanging out soaking up some knowledge this fall as I work on this, and then try and remember all those things about large format shooting I have forgotten.

T

Alan Gales
28-Sep-2015, 16:44
A Deardorff V8 with a Kodak lens? You can't go wrong with that combination!

Welcome to the forum!

Mark Sampson
28-Sep-2015, 17:21
Welcome! The fun is only starting. However, most Kodak 10" lenses were meant for 5x7 and will barely cover 8x10, if at all. The famous 10"/6.3 Wide Field Ektar is the exception, but it doesn't sound like that's what you have. In any case, it's worth having the shutter refurbished. Enjoy!

profvandegraf
28-Sep-2015, 18:13
Yes the lens is pre Ektar as far as I can tell. I has 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 on the front so I believe it is not really recommended for 8x10.

T