PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know what this is?

tonyowen
23-Sep-2015, 03:16
[ATTACH=CONFIG]140005[/ATTACH
The attached image shows what seems to be an angled extension to a cable release BUT the tapered end is not threaded and the 'trip rod' is normally extended.

With a cable release attached and 'depressed' the 'trip rod' extends further.

Best guess is that the device might be clamped to a lens board - but if so, why and for what???

regards

Tony

IanG
23-Sep-2015, 03:19
Usually for a recessed lens board where fixing a cable release is awkward, Silverprint sell them. You can get a 90° version as well.

Ian

tonyowen
23-Sep-2015, 03:30
Silverprint sell them. You can get a 90° version as well.Ian

Thanks Ian, I'm assuming you refer to the Kaiser devices.
If so, then those devices have a rotatable threaded end whereas what I have is neither threaded nor rotatable.
regards
Tony

IanG
23-Sep-2015, 04:17
OK, hadn't spotted there was no thread. I think its for a Linhof board, there was a tiny adapter (linhof push fit cable release adapter) to fit on the end of normal cable releases.

Ian

Bob Salomon
23-Sep-2015, 06:00
OK, hadn't spotted there was no thread. I think its for a Linhof board, there was a tiny adapter (linhof push fit cable release adapter) to fit on the end of normal cable releases.

Ian

Not Linhof. Their adapter is a very short tapered nipple with no threads that fits over the threads on a cable release and is no longer then the threads on the release.

tonyowen
23-Sep-2015, 06:18
Their adapter is a very short tapered nipple with no threads that fits over the threads on a cable release and is no longer then the threads on the release.
Agreed, the large end of the plain cone approximates the diameter of the large end of the standard thread on a normal cable release. (lousy grammar, but I hope you understand). The length of the plain cone is around half the length of the standard tapered thread. As Bob says the Linhof nipple fits over the thread of a standard cable release - Also the knurled ring immediately above the plain cone would (surely) prevent any latch from working.
regards
Tony

ic-racer
23-Sep-2015, 07:53
Quick release Linhof style?

Bob Salomon
23-Sep-2015, 08:52
Quick release Linhof style?

Nope!

DrTang
23-Sep-2015, 09:15
Rolls Royce ruler???

Bill_1856
23-Sep-2015, 10:30
Maybe a sound for Peyronie's disease?

tonyowen
23-Sep-2015, 10:33
Rolls Royce ruler???
Yes, genuine - I worked at Rolls Royce Aero before it went bust!
[The imperial dimensions are in 40ths of an inch (0.025") which match one revolution of an 'imperial' micrometer]
regards
Tony

tonyowen
23-Sep-2015, 10:38
Maybe a sound for Peyronie's disease?
naughty, naughty - I know it is 'bent', but that is getting very deviant
regards
Tony

AtlantaTerry
24-Sep-2015, 22:47
I have to wonder if this angled adapter had threads on the tip when it was made but somewhere along the way the threads were broken off.

tonyowen
25-Sep-2015, 00:56
I have to wonder if somewhere along the way the threads were broken off.
Agreed, I've thought the same. However, there is no sign of any fracture and the truncated cone smoothly ends at the hole through which the 'trigger rod' passes.
I do note that the 'trigger rod' normally protrudes beyond the smooth cone whereas cable releases do not have a protruding rod in their 'retracted' position.
Hence, I'm assuming that the protruding 'rod' acts as a guide into a port and the cone centralizes that fitment, however .....
Another thought is that I have a bastard assembly of unrelated parts, but ......
regards
Tony

Bob Salomon
25-Sep-2015, 05:53
Why are you assuming that it is for a photo item? The people that make the Gepe releases also make L adapters for shutters but they also make a lot of actuating cables for other applications and non photo industries. Many look just like the photo items except for different tips and plungers and triggering methods.

tonyowen
25-Sep-2015, 06:18
Why are you assuming that it is for a photo item?
Co-incidence - it came (albeit as a separate item) with a 6x9 Linhof from a camera dealer- but as you say it could be for anything.
regards
Tony

tonyowen
25-Sep-2015, 13:38
SOLVED
Adam Dau of SK Grimes thinks it is a Toyo RA-1 (Release Adapter Copal #1). http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/801079234-USE/toyo_view_180_642_angled_cable_release_adapter.html )
Certainly visually it is the same.
regards
Tony

Roger Thoms
25-Sep-2015, 19:04
Yep, looks like a toyo minus the mounting ring, have one on a Synchro-Compur that had the shutter release cable socket broken off.

Roger