PDA

View Full Version : F.64 Backpack tips

JerryP
16-Sep-2015, 19:42
My new F.64 BPX backpack arrived today and, of course, I have spent hours setting it up. It's a great pack and has more than enough room for my 4x5 kit.

One question: How do you hang a tripod onto it? There are 2 thingamabobs on the top that, I assume, are to thread straps through. I see it is possible to use nylon straps to hang the tripod onto the pack. It seems sort of sloppy, the way I was doing it. Does anyone have any tips about this or anything else regarding the BPX backpack?

I'm getting this together for a fall colors trip to the Owens Valley soon. If you see a big guy with his tripod bouncing up and down on his backpack, that will be me.

Best regards,
Jerry

Joe O'Hara
18-Sep-2015, 13:29
What I did was, I made a loop of "parachute cord" that goes around the tripod where the center post comes out.
That loop, which now hangs out about 3", hooks onto a carabiner on one of the loops on the "shoulder" of the bag.
I got a 12" tie-down strap with a click connector at REI and that secures the bottom of the tripod using a set of the
lower loops on the bag. If you get the lengths right, you can still stand the bag up with the tripod attached.
So to get the tripod off, I unclick the tie-down strap and release the cord loop from the carabiner, very quick and easy.

ghostcount
18-Sep-2015, 22:28
What I did was, I made a loop of "parachute cord" that goes around the tripod where the center post comes out.
That loop, which now hangs out about 3", hooks onto a carabiner on one of the loops on the "shoulder" of the bag.
I got a 12" tie-down strap with a click connector at REI and that secures the bottom of the tripod using a set of the
lower loops on the bag. If you get the lengths right, you can still stand the bag up with the tripod attached.
So to get the tripod off, I unclick the tie-down strap and release the cord loop from the carabiner, very quick and easy.

Pictures please :)

JerryP
19-Sep-2015, 11:39
The "shoulder" of the bag. Are you referring to the two square plastic things near the top of the bag? They appear to be for threading a strap thru. Oh, and a picture would be great. Thanks, Jerry.

Joe O'Hara
20-Sep-2015, 14:01
I had a feeling that might not be obvious.... see pictures below.

JerryP
21-Sep-2015, 11:15
I had a feeling that might not be obvious.... see pictures below.
I see, you mount the tripod on the side of the pack. You must have an older, yet better, version of this pack. Mine does not have the d-rings yours has. But I think I see a way to mount on the side using the side straps on both the top and bottom of the tripod. I think I can rig the loop and carabiner through the top handle. Thanks for the pics.
Jerry