PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Sierra Trip/ Goodbye California!

Jim Fitzgerald
13-Sep-2015, 13:19
Well, I figured that June and I would make one last trip to the Eastern Sierra before we move to Vancouver Washington at the end of the year. We will be camping at the Aspen Grove Campground off of Highway 120 by Power Plant Road. We are heading up on October 8th and staying until the 12th of October.

This is a celebration of many years of trips to the area with all of our friends and in part a tribute to our friend Per Volquartz. We have many great memories from these trips so join us if you can.

This is a BYOB event or camping trip. Everyone is free to join photographers that they may feel a connection with and wish to learn from and everyone is encouraged to bring prints to share. We will show them at the campground or wherever.

Nothing is organized so don't ask just show up if you want and do your own thing.

It would be great to see all of our friends and help us celebrate my retirement, move to Washington and my birthday!

Thanks everyone

William Whitaker
13-Sep-2015, 13:51
Happy Birthday Jim! Do you have a maps link or coordinates for the site?

Jim Noel
13-Sep-2015, 14:10
Oh how I wish I could join you. I had anticipated doing so since we spoke at APIS. My back surgery scheduled for Tuesday will prevent my participation. Have a great trip, and I hope to see you in November at the gathering.

Jim Noel

Jim Fitzgerald
13-Sep-2015, 14:30
Will, 395 north, turn west on Highway 120 go up a few miles and left on Power plant road. Campground will be a few miles up the road. Aspen is the first one you come to and if it is full keep going back the canyon to the next campground.

Jim, sorry to hear you can't make it. Good luck with the surgery and look forward to seeing you in November.

Jmarmck
13-Sep-2015, 14:35
Ah, my old stomping grounds. Have a great time Jim.

karl french
13-Sep-2015, 15:55
Great. Might be able to make it for 8-9th. Leave on the morning of the 10th.

William Whitaker
13-Sep-2015, 15:58
Oh, I know where that is... Been a long time.:-)

matthew blais
13-Sep-2015, 18:08
Hopefully the local gang will be there..Myself will be going, Randy? (Ghostcount) Daniel Perez, Matt Stage, Tim Scott et al..?

Always a good time there and lots to explore. Probably the last anyone will see the Fitz-man for a loooooong time!

Vaughn
14-Sep-2015, 11:06
I'll be returning from Hawaii on the 7th, so I do not think I'll have time to head out to the Eastern Sierras -- that will have to wait until late winter!

Have fun!!

Jim Fitzgerald
14-Sep-2015, 13:08
Vaughn, then June and I will have to make a Redwood trip if we can swing it.

Dan Dozer
16-Sep-2015, 07:06
Wish I could make it. However, I just started a new job and don't have any PTO time available yet. Long trip for for me for just a Saturday/Sunday.

Hope to have some project work up in the NorthWest at some point and maybe we can hook up then. Good luck in your move up to the Evergreen State.

Dan

Jim Fitzgerald
16-Sep-2015, 07:40
Dan, thanks. We will have two extra bedrooms for visitors and or workshop students. Going to be a busy fun retirement.

Jim Galli
16-Sep-2015, 08:09
I'm a local. I'll try to come over for the 9th and stay the 10th. My stomping ground for sure. I grew up going up to Burger's retreat for several weeks every year. My grandad worked with and was Dallas Burger's best friend. It's just across 120 and up on top of the moraine. Private property, so be respectful.

In Google Earth, paste in 37° 56' 20.30N, 119° 11' 10.90W and fly to the campground location.

Burgers is 37° 56' 42.51N, 119° 08' 55.17W

Jim Fitzgerald
16-Sep-2015, 10:18
Jim, it would be great to see/meet you before June and I head to the PNW for retirement. Now with that said after we get settled and I get my darkroom set up and the shop built it will be time to travel and photograph a lot for sure. I have a freezer full of film in all of the sizes I shoot waiting for me so we will come for a visit to Tonopah for sure.

Fr. Mark
17-Sep-2015, 15:31
It sounds like a great time, I wish I could join you!

Mooncreek
19-Sep-2015, 12:07
Wish I could join you Jim , every time I see the words Eastern Sierra I think of the Per and how we drove from his home to Alabama Hills for a photo session. It was one of his favorite places and also a pleasant memory for me as well. Think I'll go to the darkroom and look at some old negatives. Thanks

Jim Fitzgerald
19-Sep-2015, 16:41
It will be a fun trip I'm sure. We had a lot of fun with Per and the friends I met on all of the get-together trip I've taken over the years. So we are looking forward to another visit. Not sure when we will hit the area again. Once we move there will be new friends to make and new places to explore.

Merg Ross
19-Sep-2015, 22:22
Once we move there will be new friends to make and new places to explore.

Jim, very true. I have always enjoyed your presence on this forum and assume that will continue, only your location will change.

Congratulations on your retirement --- you will be busier than ever, trust me!

Hope all good things come your way.

Best,
Merg

Jim Fitzgerald
20-Sep-2015, 06:31
Jim, very true. I have always enjoyed your presence on this forum and assume that will continue, only your location will change.

Best,
Merg

Merg, thank you very much. Your work has always inspired me over the years along with others on this forum. Your comment and best wishes are very important so thanks again.

Yes, I will be very busy indeed. When we move it will take some time to get settled. I'm going to be building a proper darkroom finally for my carbon printing and will have an in-house studio. Along with this I will have my wood shop to do all the work I've planned for years maybe even build some more cameras. Once set up I will begin teaching and giving back to our community along with traveling a lot.

This trip will give me some new work to print and get my head back in the game. Life has been crazy for over a year with so much going on that it will be nice to get creative again and start a new chapter in retirement and what better place to start than the Eastern Sierra.

Jim Fitzgerald
20-Sep-2015, 06:33

Best,
Merg

Merg, thank you very much. Your work has always inspired me over the years along with others on this forum. Your comment and best wishes are very important so thanks again.

Yes, I will be very busy indeed. When we move it will take some time to get settled. I'm going to be building a proper darkroom finally for my carbon printing and will have an in-house studio. Along with this I will have my wood shop to do all the work I've planned for years maybe even build some more cameras. Once set up I will begin teaching and giving back to our community along with traveling a lot.

This trip will give me some new work to print and get my head back in the game. Life has been crazy for over a year with so much going on that it will be nice to get creative again and start a new chapter in retirement and what better place to start than the Eastern Sierra.

Andrew O'Neill
20-Sep-2015, 09:53
Vancouver, WA? We'll practically be neighbours.

Jim Fitzgerald
20-Sep-2015, 13:59
Yep, PNW around the end of the year.

Hugo Zhang
20-Sep-2015, 14:16
Hi Jim,

I always enjoy shooting with you and I am going to miss you. I will try to make this farewell trip for you next month and visit you and June in Washington after you settle down. My son is is Seattle anyway.

Hugo

Rick Olson
20-Sep-2015, 14:33
Best wishes on your retirement Jim!! I'm just up the 5 freeway from Vancouver in Olympia WA.

Rick

Jim Fitzgerald
20-Sep-2015, 14:54
Hugo, we will have room and once we get settled we will put together some meetings and get together's. I'll get back into teaching carbon workshops and exploring the local area.

Vaughn
20-Sep-2015, 17:42
Just got back from a two-night backpack trip along Redwood Creek with the 5x7! Looking forward to visiting you! Got to take more images like this one:

11x14 Horsetail Falls
Silver gelatin print

Andrew O'Neill
20-Sep-2015, 19:59
Get ready for rainy winters!

Roger Thoms
20-Sep-2015, 20:15
Jim, looks like great fun. Missed your last redwood trip, because I had disabled that email address due to spam. By the time I reactivated it the trip was long over. Might make this one, just depends on work, layoff are in the air, just don't know exactly when. Who knows, just might work out. If not, you all have a good time and make lots of great images.

And Jim congratulations on your retirement, looks like your in for the time of your life.

Roger

Jim Fitzgerald
21-Sep-2015, 18:02
Just got back from a two-night backpack trip along Redwood Creek with the 5x7! Looking forward to visiting you! Got to take more images like this one:

11x14 Horsetail Falls
Silver gelatin print

Vaughn, we have a room with your name on it! Open invitation to come up anytime. I'm thinking some fresh caught Salmon and local brews will be in order.
Then you can show me where you took that wonderful image.

Jim Fitzgerald
21-Sep-2015, 18:03
Roger it would be good to see you again if you can make it.

Roger Thoms
5-Oct-2015, 19:52
Jim, it would be great to see you and the rest of the crew, but it looks like I'm stuck working for another few weeks. We're working 6 9's so no chance even for a quick weekend trip. Of course a paycheck is always good and and gets me that much closer to retirement.

Make lots of great images and have fun.

Roger

Jim Fitzgerald
6-Oct-2015, 05:26
Roger, thanks. June and I will be coming back to the area at some point. Everyone knows how much I love Yosemite. We will be heading to the Redwoods in Northern California after we settle in the new place. It will be nice to finally be able to concentrate on my photography on a full time basis again. This trip is the start of that. So we will see you and everyone again.

Drew Wiley
6-Oct-2015, 08:48
Vancouver itself has quite a bit to offer. Columbia Gorge and Mt Hood one direction, Mt Rainier and the North Cascades the other. But I've got just one piece of
advice for you. A waterproof darkcloth! At times you almost need something that acts as a poncho for both your camera and you, at least until you get about an
hour east. There's plenty of gorgeous desert in Oregon and Washington too.

Jim Fitzgerald
6-Oct-2015, 15:57
Drew, good advice. It will be a different working environment for sure. Years ago I bought this lightweight water resistant material, I forget what it is called, but it held up all day in the wet snow in a Yosemite winter. I have one for each system I use. Light as hell, black on one side and silver on the other. I think it was from Outdoor Wilderness fabrics. It will take some getting used to that is for sure especially with all of my ULF gear. There will be plenty new things to see that is for sure.

Hugo Zhang
7-Oct-2015, 14:33
Jim,

I am packing up for this trip: tent, sleeping bag and mat, one case of beer, many bags of food and water and quite a few loaded holders. Since you are not bringing your 14x17 camera, I won't bring mine either. Just my regular 11x14 to shoot around the camp and the small 5x7 which I can hike with it for miles.

Anything else I am forgetting?

I am leaving Irvine Friday morning and should arrive around 2-3 PM. Can't wait to see everybody. :)

Jim Fitzgerald
7-Oct-2015, 14:56
Hugo, great! We are going to Bodie for the day on Friday. I'll post a note on the board at the Aspen campground as to where we are. If we have to move farther up the canyon I'll let you know. June and I will be in a white Toyota mini van. It will be great to see you again.

Hugo Zhang
7-Oct-2015, 15:07
Is there a camp ground in Bodie? How far is Bodie from Aspen camp ground? I don't want to arrive at the Aspen camp ground on Friday and find nobody there.

OK, I have just checked the map. Bodie is not far from Aspen campground. I will just wait for you at the camp if I arrive too late for Bodie.

Jim Fitzgerald
7-Oct-2015, 15:50
Hugo, no camping at Bodie. We will be back from Bodie sometime in the afternoon. If you get there around 3 that would be fine. I'll try to get back by 4pm. There is a lot to shoot around camp. Bodie is about 45 minutes from Aspen north up 395.

Hugo Zhang
7-Oct-2015, 16:12
Sounds great!!!

Drew Wiley
7-Oct-2015, 16:31
There are a number of campgrounds just off 395 in the vicinity of Bodie. I prefer to road camp up around Sonora Pass; but there are a lot of good campgrounds
up high in the aspen around Virginia Lakes too. Or just camp anywhere on Forest Service land. The turnoff to Green Creek is not far from Bodie, though the camping spaces up that road fill up quickly. Snow determines everything this time of year, where it is and when.

Jim Fitzgerald
7-Oct-2015, 17:30
Drew, thanks for the tips.

Tri Tran
7-Oct-2015, 23:19
Have a good trip Jim. Wish I can be there. Please post some pictures and keep us updated. See you soon at the greet and meet coming up.

Jim Fitzgerald
8-Oct-2015, 05:16
Tri, thanks. Will do!

Jim Galli
8-Oct-2015, 06:31
Over some time tomorrow. If anyone that's planning to come would like to play with 8X10 but doesn't have one, let me know, and I can bring the pretty one that I have in the for sale section (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?125721-Beautiful-USA-Made-Entry-Level-8X10-Camera-Complete-Near-Mint) along with me.

Jim Fitzgerald
8-Oct-2015, 07:00
Jim, we are heading out from home now. On Friday we will be at Bodie I'm thinking the whole day. Meet us there or at camp as I will have signs.

Hugo Zhang
8-Oct-2015, 16:57
Important Update:

Aspen Campground is closed. We will go to Lundy Lake Campground.

Jim Fitzgerald
9-Oct-2015, 19:03
Okay been great so far. We have Jim and June, Matt stage, matt Blais, Jim Gallo, Hugo Zhang, Forrest Atkins and Bill Theis.
Having grub in Virginia creek.

dsphotog
10-Oct-2015, 12:33
Virginia Creek has the best lasagna.... Especially good after a long day of stalking images at Bodie.

Jim Fitzgerald
12-Oct-2015, 09:35
Virginia Creek has the best lasagna.... Especially good after a long day of stalking images at Bodie.
It was good. I'll give a report when I get home. In lone pine now

Jim Galli
12-Oct-2015, 09:42
Okay been great so far. We have Jim and June, Matt stage, matt Blais, Jim Gallo, Hugo Zhang, Forrest Atkins and Bill Theis.
Having grub in Virginia creek.

Jim Gallo? I know I had a little wine, but....I didn't pick my parents that well. Gallo, filthy rich. Galli, churchmice.

Jim Fitzgerald
13-Oct-2015, 19:57
My apologies to the esteemed Jim Galli for botching his good name but there was a lot of wine, beer, and other tasty treats :-) at our campfires. I want to thank Jim and everyone who came up on the trip. It brought back many fine memories of our times in this area over the years. I will get to posting some of the images from the trip asap. The weather was good, a bit to warm for me but it was okay. The color I thought was great on the June Lake loop. The Sabrina, north and South lake area was still happening but up high it was getting thin. The Aspen campground area still had a lot of yellow green trees and Lundy was beautiful. More later.

seabee1999
14-Oct-2015, 09:56
Sorry That I couldn't go. I had too much happening this past weekend. It sounds like you all had a great time. I look forward to whatever images you and the group provide.

R/
Dave

Laura_Campbell
14-Oct-2015, 13:12
Hugo, I enjoyed meeting you in LP! I had a blast with you guys (Jim, June, Blais, Stage, Bill, Forrest, Hugo) and I hope to see you again for another meetup before Jim and June leave for Washington. Jim, I'm super happy for you and June, but I'm sure sad to see you leaving Calif.
P.S. We're already planning meetups in your area.
P.S.S. The Catholic Store in Bakersfield doesn't sell Holy Water.
P.S.S.S. My United Nations flag arrived.

ScottPhotoCo
14-Oct-2015, 15:38
Wish I could have made it but it's a crazy time of year for me right now. On top of it all I still haven't made a !*&%&^$ landscape photograph that I like yet. Will keep trying...

Hugo Zhang
14-Oct-2015, 15:55
I had a blast for four days and spent eight hours yesterday developing my negatives from this trip. 2-3 sheets look quite promising. :)

Laura: it was pleasure to meet you as well. You are such an interesting character and an enchanting lady.:) Jim and June, Jim, Matt and Matt, Will and Forrest: we had such a good time and let us do this at least once a year.

Jim Fitzgerald
14-Oct-2015, 19:54
If we time it right June and I can come down to hit the Eastern Sierra and then to our get together which is on the 1st of November this year. So let's keep that in mind so we can get them close together next year.

Laura_Campbell
14-Oct-2015, 20:45
Wish I could have made it but it's a crazy time of year for me right now. On top of it all I still haven't made a !*&%&^$ landscape photograph that I like yet. Will keep trying...

I love the portrait of Forrest with camera in the Hills. Without Forrest in the image, it works as a landscape as well.

Laura_Campbell
14-Oct-2015, 20:46
If we time it right June and I can come down to hit the Eastern Sierra and then to our get together which is on the 1st of November this year. So let's keep that in mind so we can get them close together next year.

Sounds like a plan!

Laura_Campbell
14-Oct-2015, 20:47
I had a blast for four days and spent eight hours yesterday developing my negatives from this trip. 2-3 sheets look quite promising. :)

Laura: it was pleasure to meet you as well. You are such an interesting character and an enchanting lady.:) Jim and June, Jim, Matt and Matt, Will and Forrest: we had such a good time and let us do this at least once a year.

I can't wait to see what you photographed, Hugo!

ScottPhotoCo
15-Oct-2015, 00:14
I love the portrait of Forrest with camera in the Hills. Without Forrest in the image, it works as a landscape as well.

Thank you Laura.

Jim Fitzgerald
15-Oct-2015, 05:37
Once this damn hot weather goes away I can start working again. The day we got home from the trip it was 91 degrees at the beach! I've got several sheets of 8x10 and 8x20 to develop and can't wait to see what I have. I'll keep everyone posted.

Laura_Campbell
15-Oct-2015, 08:21
Well shoot cuzzin'! Pappy made it rain so come on back to LP real soon cuz it's pourin' cats and bourbon here.

Jim Fitzgerald
16-Oct-2015, 07:11
Awesome! Now some snow would be nice! That might entice us. Can't do the bourbon any more but fine wine we're in.

Jim Fitzgerald
6-Nov-2015, 08:21
I've posted this image in a couple of other threads but it should go here as well. I like the feel of this as the morning light was glistening off of the foreground and the Spencer Portland did it justice I feel.

Jim Fitzgerald
11-Nov-2015, 12:04
One more image done. In the Aspens.

brucetaylor
11-Nov-2015, 14:54
I love these 2 images. I'm inspired!

Jim Fitzgerald
11-Nov-2015, 15:02
Bruce, thanks. It was a wonderful time in the Sierra. I still have more film to develop and prints to make so stay tuned.