PDA

View Full Version : Have you experienced this ? Same negative, different interpretation

DennisD
11-Sep-2015, 14:35
In the mid 1970's, just out of school, I lived in NYC and enjoyed photographing different city sites on weekends. One photograph was of the World Trade Center from the foot of Vesey St where new construction was still underway. The steel framework provided interest with the trade center building as a backdrop. I visualized and printed the image as a "straight" photograph. See below.

Forward to Sept. 9-11. Several friends were lost in the disaster and several others, only by chance, barely avoided being caught in the buildings that morning. Life here in New York and around the country had changed.

After the destruction, I found that my feeling about printing the image as well as my interpretation of the image itself had changed - almost without my realizing. I was printing the image for a show a few years later. As I was working on the print, I found I was seeing the image differently than before. Darker sky, lighter building. The resulting print felt somewhat surrealistic when placed aside the original. The look felt appropriate.

I'm wondering whether others have experienced a difference in how you've interpreted and printed an image as a result of a significant (or not so significant) event or other change.

http://www.jackandbeans.com/pbd/ny_wtc_pre911.jpg

http://www.jackandbeans.com/pbd/ny_wtc_post911.jpg

4x5 TRI-X, Graphic View, 90mm S. Angulon

bobwysiwyg
11-Sep-2015, 16:20
I think both time and circumstances can alter one's view and interpretation of an image. I've taken some 40+ years ago I thought were nothing to write home about but now, not so much. Conversely, some I thought good/intersting are now "what was I thinking?"

Kirk Gittings
11-Sep-2015, 21:15
every time I print a negative I look at it as an opportunity to do something better or different with it. I don't feel bound by my earlier interpretations.

Merg Ross
11-Sep-2015, 21:42
every time I print a negative I look at it as an opportunity to do something better or different with it. I don't feel bound by my earlier interpretations.

A la Ansel, and a few others --- you're in good company! I feel the same way.

Dennis, a fine composition, congrats!

Ken Lee
12-Sep-2015, 06:03
We can make similar revisions later on, just by a change of matting and framing.

Jim Noel
12-Sep-2015, 09:36
One of my favorite activities in the darkroom is to find a 50-60 year old negative and reprint it first in silver,which was the original method, and then, if suitable, using whatever alt processes I happento be working in at the time. I learn a lot about vision doing this.

DennisD
12-Sep-2015, 11:05
Thanks to all - bobwysiwyg, Kirk, Merg, Ken and Jim for your insightful comments.

Kirk, you're right about trying to improve upon previous attempts. I also do the same.
In the case of the WTC image it felt as though it would be thoughtful (or important) to set the post 911 image apart from any prior printing.

Thank you Merg. I'm most appreciative of your compliment.

Jim, your idea of printing in silver and then alternative is great. If possible, please post a comparative sample at your convenience. I'm sure the differences can be compelling.

Kirk Gittings
12-Sep-2015, 11:55
They both work very well in their own way. I'm partial to the darker one though.

Alan Gales
12-Sep-2015, 17:32
I like the first one but I think it could use a little more separation between the sky and the building. I like the second one much better. I wonder what if you compromised between the two?

Vaughn
12-Sep-2015, 21:19
...your idea of printing in silver and then alternative is great. If possible, please post a comparative sample at your convenience. I'm sure the differences can be compelling.

Two different processes...platinum and then carbon. Images taken at the same time, processed a little differently for the process.

Base of Bridal Vail Fall (both 8x10 negatives)

DennisD
12-Sep-2015, 21:34
I like the first one but I think it could use a little more separation between the sky and the building. I like the second one much better. I wonder what if you compromised between the two?

Thank you for your suggestion, Alan. It's an interesting thought.
I'm partial to the second image and fear a compromise might have much less impact.

I should have posted the two images side by side which I will do for a better viewing comparison.

Actually, I was hoping the thread would inspire others to post their own images (and alternates) which may have had different interpretations - for whatever reason.

DennisD
12-Sep-2015, 21:36
Two different processes...platinum and then carbon. Images taken at the same time, processed a little differently for the process.

Base of Bridal Vail Fall

Vaughn, Just what I was hoping for - other posts with alternate interpretations or processes.

Both have great texture - the composition of the landscape frame (right-hand image) is beautiful.

DennisD
12-Sep-2015, 21:49
I'm sorry my original post of the 2 original images did not lay out as originally intended.
The images were too large and stacked instead of sitting side by side.
I'm reposting the same images aside one another for better viewing comparison.

I made my original post hoping to prompt others to post images they had interpreted differently or printed in alternate processes.

Rather than focusing on my images, please feel free to add your own.

Dennis

http://www.jackandbeans.com/pbd/NY_WTC_pre&post911.jpg

Vaughn
12-Sep-2015, 21:55
Another example.

Nude, Bryce Canyon, Silver gelatin print and cyanotype. Both contact prints, same negative (5x7)

Jim Noel
12-Sep-2015, 22:34
Vaughn,
Lovely image. Have you thought of doing it in a gold toned VDB?

Jim

Vaughn
13-Sep-2015, 08:48
Vaughn, Lovely image. Have you thought of doing it in a gold toned VDB? Jim

Thank you. No, I have not, but I unsuccessfully tried to print it as a carbon print when I was learning that process (not enough contrast in the negative).

Toyon
13-Sep-2015, 09:31
Wow. The second print does not work for me as a photograph. As graphic art though, it is strong. Perhaps if you lightened the sky somewhat it would work as the former?

Willie
14-Sep-2015, 06:17
A good reason to stay away from numbered, limited editions. You reach the final numbered print and go no further. Keeps you from later interpretations and an expanding or changing vision as well as changes or improvements in your printing technique.

Kirk Gittings
14-Sep-2015, 07:42
A good reason to stay away from numbered, limited editions. You reach the final numbered print and go no further. Keeps you from later interpretations and an expanding or changing vision as well as changes or improvements in your printing technique.

My thoughts exactly.