PDA

View Full Version : Epson Stylus Pro 4000 and non-OEM inks

Zemer
10-Sep-2015, 08:21
Thanks you all for sharing experiences about color and B&W prints with inks other than Epson's. Advantages, medium/long-term problems ... I use a Stylus Pro 4000, six years old, with entire satisfaction. Unfortunately, Epson inks are quite expensive, as you know.
Zemer.

Zemer
20-Sep-2015, 08:23
Noboby has ever worked on Epson SP 4000 and alternative K2 inks? Nothing to say?
Zemer

wager123
20-Sep-2015, 14:46
yes I have . I use jon cone inks on my 4000 and now on both a 4800 and a4880 with no problems . call inkjet mall ask for well.s he can answer all your questions . you save around 75% and Epson paper profiles work great

John Bowen
20-Sep-2015, 15:09
I don't believe the Pro 4000 is a printer available in the USA. However, I use Jon Cone's B&W Piezography inks in my Epson K3 printers. The website is www.inkjetmall.com As suggested above, if you don't see what you need, call them and ask for Wells.

Andrew O'Neill
20-Sep-2015, 15:48
I have an Epson 4000. Have had it for about 10 years. I've never run Epson inks in it though. And I only use it for making digital negatives. It's been acting really queer recently, so I picked up a used 3800 and run all black inkset. The 4000 never gave me any trouble until this past summer. Now I can still print and poke around on the 4000 to see if I can get her to ever print properly again.

Zemer
22-Sep-2015, 02:12
Thank you all. LFPF is a great community.
Zemer.

Andrew O'Neill
22-Sep-2015, 13:54
I often buy ink cartridges from here: http://www.123inkcartridges.ca/epson-ink-cartridges/Stylus-Pro-4000.html
I always get free shipping if I buy a couple of the larger cartridges...

Tyler Boley
23-Sep-2015, 23:56
When the 4000 was a fairly current product they were in regular use at Cone Editions for 17" K7 work at workshops I instructed there. As far as I know they worked fine, but were upgraded to 4800s and perhaps now newer, as time went on. There did seems to be a lot of cleaning cycles required to keep nozzles at 100%. There were more 44" and 24" printers in regular use though. I had one friend using OEM color inks in a 4000 for some time, color, and B&W using QTR. He had an ongoing problem with visible banding and dither patterns that weren't smooth, it was never solved, he finally changed to a different printer. There was a lot of anecdotal stories of undependable nozzle performance.
That's all I have on the 4000. Keep in mind you only hear the stories of problems, happy users don't write much.

Andrew O'Neill
24-Sep-2015, 13:02
Looks like my 4000 is starting to come around. Never had anything like this in all the years I've owned it.

Zemer
26-Sep-2015, 06:17
Thanks you all for these interesting contributions. Unfortunately, the sites stand in America. What about a German site?
Zemer.

27-Sep-2015, 20:56
Thanks you all for these interesting contributions. Unfortunately, the sites stand in America. What about a German site?
Zemer.

In Germany try OCP. Their magenta and light magenta is NOT going to be vivid like the OEM K3 inks but on matte surfaces with the right printer profile it is excellent. On gloss paper you will get the usual bronzing, gloss differential and other artifacts the non-OEM inks produce.

Zemer
28-Sep-2015, 06:05
In Germany try OCP. Their magenta and light magenta is NOT going to be vivid like the OEM K3 inks but on matte surfaces with the right printer profile it is excellent. On gloss paper you will get the usual bronzing, gloss differential and other artifacts the non-OEM inks produce.

hedgecrusty
29-Sep-2015, 19:05
Hi, when it comes to printer, Epson is always on top of the line. I have been using Epson for years already and I agree that the ink is quite expensive but I haven't encountered problems so far when it comes to printing . Though, I'm not that familiar with this Epson Stylus Pro 4000 (https://luminous-landscape.com/epson-4000-printer-review), I just read about it and saw some positive reviews to be impressive according to its users. I think, it appeared for the first time in New York.