PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use this harrison tent knockoff?

andy
10-Sep-2015, 07:14
I just stumbled onto this harrison tent knockoff on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3S-KangRinpoche-Santtpro-Film-Changing-Tent-for-up-to-8-10-films-/201408084038?hash=item2ee4db7846

has anyone seen it/have experience with it? I've been using a photoflex tent for too long, but it's hard to spend 300 bucks for a harrison.

I'm also assuming you get what you pay for--

Jim Noel
10-Sep-2015, 09:59
I sent mine back after one trial run in the back yard, and bought the largest Harrison which has been worth far more than it cost.

andy
10-Sep-2015, 10:12
I sent mine back after one trial run in the back yard, and bought the largest Harrison which has been worth far more than it cost.

I had a feeling that might be the case.

Henrim
10-Sep-2015, 10:53
I was in the same boat as you. I was tempted to buy the Chinese one and even read some favoring posts about it. However I ended up buying a Harrison and don't regret doing so. Very nicely done and well thought product. The only downside is the smell.

RHITMrB
10-Sep-2015, 12:06
I have two friends with the 3S-KangRinpoche tents. One of them has the 4x5 size and one of the tent poles bent and broke within a few months. The other has the 8x10 size and it's been fine for more than a year. I have a Harrison Pup tent I've been using happily for years, but I'm tempted to buy the 11x14 size 3S-KangRinpoche to be able to load my Jobo 3005 in a tent instead of in a darkroom.

Alan Gales
10-Sep-2015, 12:06
I own the Jumbo Harrison tent and love it.

Let's try to put it in perspective. Sure it's $300 but you probably wouldn't think anything of spending $300 for another lens for your 8x10 and you may use the Harrison tent a lot more than the lens. I load and unload my film holders in the Harrison tent. I also load my Jobo Expert drum in it. I feel if you use something a lot it can pay to buy quality!

vdonovan2000
10-Sep-2015, 13:54
I've had one for about a year and a half. I put it up and take it down about twice a week. I absolutely love it. It is well made, and I haven't had any trouble with the poles. They seem as sturdy as any tent poles.

My only gripe is that I wish the sleeves were a bit longer and the elastic a bit tighter. That said, I haven't had any fogging or any problems like that.

I bought it, I use it, I like it, I recommend it.

Pierre 2
10-Sep-2015, 16:18
Happy with a Red Wing pop up for 8x10 (got it used on eBay).

Gary Tarbert
10-Sep-2015, 16:28
I have had the harrison for years the middle size , it's stated the middle size is fine for 8x10 but it is quite tight when turning the film holder over , So looked at the bigger size but with exchange rate considerations and freight , I have decided to just keep using the one i have . I may check out the knock off if i just find it too hard . I agree with Alan though for something you use often , it pays to buy quality

cikaziva
10-Sep-2015, 19:00
in last 20+ in years in motion picture industry i have used hundreds of Harrison tents, small and big, old and new... they are good, specially new ones. old tent's have problems with a material, and many started chipping rubberized coating, making a big mess and flakes of paint falling off. As far as i know that is history because they use some new composite material. Poles used to brake as well, but always because intern would rush or try to force it. now i have small Harison that is really beat up and on last legs and i have 11x14 3S-KangRinpoche that i rally like. yes its bit flimsy but lets not forget its a tent, not a rigid box and yes big size makes it more flimsier. sleavs could be bit better but hey i paid 140$ for ti! for that money its grate tent. If i was buying new tent with productions money i would buy Harison, not because its better but because we use them all the time and would not care about money. However if i would to buy it with my money i would buy 3S and for the rest buy some film... just my 2c

Michael Clark
10-Sep-2015, 21:19
I bought a 3s-KangRinpoche about 3 yrs ago, have not used it to much but the but the corner pieces that hold the poles are starting to give way, and the loop at the top where the poles go threw are starting to rip. Never had a Harrison so can not compare the two, but when this one gives way I would like to try a Harrison.

cluttered
10-Sep-2015, 22:23
I've had one for about a year and a half. I put it up and take it down about twice a week. I absolutely love it. It is well made, and I haven't had any trouble with the poles. They seem as sturdy as any tent poles.

My only gripe is that I wish the sleeves were a bit longer and the elastic a bit tighter. That said, I haven't had any fogging or any problems like that.

I bought it, I use it, I like it, I recommend it.

My experiences pretty much match those of vdonovan2000; it's not super high quality but I've had no problems. And the arm elastic could do with being tighter, but that's easily fixed.

Kevin Harding
12-Sep-2015, 15:33
I have one and haven't had any issues whatsoever.