PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Speak Norwegian?

Robert Kalman
2-Sep-2015, 08:38
I am making series of 8x10 portraits and asking the sitter to write something about themselves. Their writing is incorporated into a diptych along with their portrait.

Last week I photographed a young Norwegian woman, and asked her to write what life was like for her right now. She wrote her response in Norwegian, and I didn't ask her what she had written. Does anyone on the forum speak Norwegian, and would you be kind enough to translate what she wrote for me?

Many thanks!

Ari
2-Sep-2015, 08:46
Try Google Translate, it will come close, unless a lot of jargon is used.
https://translate.google.com/?hl=en

Oren Grad
2-Sep-2015, 09:09
Perhaps you could try contacting Ole Tjugen - he hasn't visited here for a while, but maybe would see a PM or an email; also, he's still active on APUG.

Robert Kalman
2-Sep-2015, 09:10
Yes, thanks, Ari, I did that. Her handwriting made it difficult to decipher the Norwegian spelling of the third and fifth words. The first two words mean "I am..." and the fourth word is "but." Need help with the two longer words.

Robert Kalman
2-Sep-2015, 09:11
Perhaps you could try contacting Ole Tjugen - he hasn't visited here for a while, but maybe would see a PM or an email; also, he's still active on APUG.

Thanks, Oren. I'll give that a shot

JeRuFo
2-Sep-2015, 09:51
I think the last word is 'skeptisk'/skeptical. The third word I can't read, but a native speaker might. I only know the odd word from spending a dozen or so summers there.

RHITMrB
2-Sep-2015, 09:57
Looks to me like "Jeg er nysgjerrig, men skeptisk," which would mean "I'm curious but skeptical."

Robert Kalman
2-Sep-2015, 10:40
Looks to me like "Jeg er nysgjerrig, men skeptisk," which would mean "I'm curious but skeptical."

Given the conversation I had with this young person during the shoot, this makes sense. Thanks very much RHITMrB!

hoffner
2-Sep-2015, 11:46
I can confirm "I am ... but skeptical" The 3rd word is illegible on the small picture I view.

hoffner
2-Sep-2015, 11:54

As many other knowledgeable and intelligent persons he left this forum long time ago, I'm afraid.

Emil Schildt
2-Sep-2015, 12:13
spot on - curious but skeptical

Emil Schildt
2-Sep-2015, 12:15
actually inquisitive I like better than curious

Struan Gray
2-Sep-2015, 14:41
Translation is impossible.

In Norwegian, being curious cannot be mistaken for being weird, in English it can. I, personally, would avoid the literal rendering 'I am curious'.

'I mix curiosity with scepticism', avoids the ambiguity while still sounding like something someone might say.

hoffner
2-Sep-2015, 15:04
If indeed the 3rd word is "nysgjerrig" (probably misspelled in her writing, I cannot read it so from the bad picture) then it was written by this young creature in the sense - "I want to know, but am skeptical" which is quite a typical approach of many today's youngsters tired of all they tried in the life.

Jac@stafford.net
2-Sep-2015, 16:52
Translation is impossible.

In Norwegian, being curious cannot be mistaken for being weird, in English it can. I, personally, would avoid the literal rendering 'I am curious'.

'I mix curiosity with scepticism', avoids the ambiguity while still sounding like something someone might say.

++

Ole Tjugen
3-Sep-2015, 03:03
Another interpretation is "I'm intrigued, but reserved".
Direct translations rarely manage to convey the deeper meaning.

Robert Kalman
3-Sep-2015, 05:00
If indeed the 3rd word is "nysgjerrig" (probably misspelled in her writing, I cannot read it so from the bad picture) then it was written by this young creature in the sense - "I want to know, but am skeptical" which is quite a typical approach of many today's youngsters tired of all they tried in the life.

Sorry for the small image on the original posting; viewable larger here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertkalman/20912522639/in/photostream/lightbox/

hoffner
3-Sep-2015, 07:29
I'm curious (about your big old-fashioned camera) but sceptical (about such old-fashioned photography) - do you really think the young lady could not have this thought when standing for the picture? Would that be an inappropriate comment in her mind? I think it's probably the first thing she thought about when asked to write "what she feels in this moment".