PDA

View Full Version : LF photographers in LA area

celtic9
28-Aug-2015, 11:52
Hello everyone,

As a LF beginner, I'd love to meet up with LF photographers in the LA area to learn, improve and discuss all things LF-related. And of course invite him/her on a drink or meal.

I'd appreciate any leads or read about LF workshops in the LA area.

thanks!

Michael Clark
28-Aug-2015, 16:11
Hi celtic9, we are out here, but not so much in midday heat (think mad dogs and Englishmen)I would like to have a meet up of some sorts but will be extremely busy at work tell after the 11th. I use a 4x5 press camera but also have a 5x7 , have been looking at places around central L.A. and downtown also, there is really a lot to photograph here. Early Sat. or Sun. mornings and evenings only when accompanied with a friend or another photographer. Early on week ends there is less foot traffic so using a tripod on the side walks is more easy. There are not to many large format workshops that I know of.

Mike

Jim Fitzgerald
28-Aug-2015, 17:17
We will put together our annual meet up soon. Looks like sometime in September. Stay tuned.

peter schrager
28-Aug-2015, 17:24
I've attempted to reach out to people in los angeles but everyone lives in their own little world. once a year gathering is not relevant
to sharing. if you care to reach out you can PM me; been doing this for 40 years so I must know something by now...
have a great day!'
peter

Michael Clark
28-Aug-2015, 17:44
Jim are talking about the meet and greet at the park in Westminster, looking forward to that.

Peter, what do you have in mind, group meeting discussing photo stuff, breakfast or lunch gathering, etc.

Mike

vinny
28-Aug-2015, 19:06
I lived in L.A for about ten years (until 2011) and the people I met and became friends with is something I'm really missing now that I'm back in the midwest. There are quite a few like-minded folks there. Keep in touch with Jim.

Jim Fitzgerald
28-Aug-2015, 20:43
Unfortunately for me I have a lot of personal issues going on and my time is limited. Keep an eye out for meet ups or contact Peter or Matt Blais here on the forum for help. He gives some basic instruction on LF. I have a move planned for the end of the year so things are very busy right now. If you come to one of the meet ups you can meet like minded people who will be happy to help.

peter schrager
31-Aug-2015, 01:25
How about a print share?? Nothing like seeing what people are actually into...how about getting together for relevant shows...l.a. is an,amazing resource...I have a large warehouse with my darkroom; great for sharing...I know many alternate processes
That's all for now!

brucetaylor
31-Aug-2015, 13:42
Hello all,

One problem is that the "LA area" is just HUGE. It would be useful to know where people are-- I am in northeast Los Angeles, Eagle Rock near Pasadena. Would love to visit your place, Peter. I have a darkroom and studio where we could meet should a meet-up come about. I like Michael's idea of a DTLA meet up, there is a lot to see and do there.

Bruce

matthew blais
2-Sep-2015, 06:57
Bruce I'd love to come see your darkroom! I'm up for a meet

ghostcount
2-Sep-2015, 10:58
Hello all,

One problem is that the "LA area" is just HUGE. It would be useful to know where people are-- I am in northeast Los Angeles, Eagle Rock near Pasadena. Would love to visit your place, Peter. I have a darkroom and studio where we could meet should a meet-up come about. I like Michael's idea of a DTLA meet up, there is a lot to see and do there.

Bruce

Bruce I'd love to come see your darkroom! I'm up for a meet

+1

Wet plate session anyone?

Michael Clark
2-Sep-2015, 17:25
I would be up for a print view also, I'm in So. East L.A. county not far from Ghostcount. Do not really have enough room for to many people but can still travel around.

Laura_Campbell
2-Sep-2015, 21:32
I'm up for a meet when y'all are ready for a road trip. You know where to find me. :) The fall colors are appearing fast and early at lower elevations. If it's a big snow year, snow photography can be a ton of fun. You build the campfire. I'll bring the booze.

Jim Fitzgerald
3-Sep-2015, 05:25
Alabama hills again?

seabee1999
3-Sep-2015, 05:46
Alabama hills again?

I'm game for a fall, slightly snowy camping trip.

R/
Dave

Jim Fitzgerald
3-Sep-2015, 06:41
Well, I'm going to figure a trip sometime in October. Either the Eastern Sierra or Yosemite or both! It will be the last visit for a while. Looks like a December move to Vancouver Washington.

brucetaylor
3-Sep-2015, 13:10
Peter, Matt, Michael, ghostcount, celtic9 (and any other interested parties) Yes! Let's do it. Sept 12 or 13, or Sept 26 or 27 would work for me. You? The studio is in the Eagle Rock district close to DTLA, so if you wanted to do some shooting downtown and then come by the studio that would work, or not. I am up for anything. Wet plate sounds interesting, I've never done that before. Peter- where are you located?

Bruce

Michael Clark
4-Sep-2015, 06:24
The 12, 26 or 27 of Sept. is good for me.

Mike

brucetaylor
4-Sep-2015, 22:13
Any LF'ers who would like to attend just let me know. Looks like Sept 12, 1 pm at 3509 Eagle Rock Blvd Los Angeles. ghostcount promises a wet plate demo. Bring prints to share, interesting gear, maybe a trip to DTLA at the end of the day for a shoot? I have a studio with tungsten lights and backdrops if we want to shoot anything, and the darkroom. Refreshments provided. I look forward to meeting you!

Email: taylorcobmw (at) yahoo.com

Bruce

MikeH
4-Sep-2015, 22:40
Well, I'm at 3323, so I must be walking by your place at night!

seabee1999
5-Sep-2015, 04:41
Have fun you all. I wish I could attend. I've already committed to other plans for that day.

R/
Dave

Michael Clark
5-Sep-2015, 20:31
Sounds good to me Bruce, I will bring some photo's to share and O'le Shaky Jake if my back up to it, other wise my 4x5.

Mike

matthew blais
6-Sep-2015, 08:01
The 12th sounds good so far. Be good to see you again Bruce

Sirius Glass
7-Sep-2015, 21:29
Alabama hills again?

Per Valquartz had annual meetings in Joshua Tree. I went to one.

I am in West Los Angeles. With adequate notice I could meet at a place like the Alabama Hills. And not I enjoy a good night sleep so my idea of camping is a motel nearby.

brucetaylor
10-Sep-2015, 14:38
Hello all,

Unfortunately, my wife is in the hospital and I will not be able to host our get together on Sept 12. Her surgery went well, she will be fine, but the recovery is difficult. I'll post a new date when I have a better idea of the immediate future.

Thanks,

Bruce Taylor

Michael Clark
11-Sep-2015, 14:36
Hope your wife is doing well Bruce, let us know of a date in the future when your wife recovers.

Mike

the smiling gecko
15-Sep-2015, 10:19
hello all,

i am in LA area - fontana - for the day. would appreciate some guidance and maybe transportation to interesting landscape or architecture possibilities...would buy lunch and gasoline....

the smiling gecko, aka the photographer by the sea, aka "hey you, what's with the old wooden camera?"