PDA

View Full Version : Fitting A Graflok Back to a Speed Graphic?

VulpesVulpesVulpes
27-Aug-2015, 10:26
Hi there!

I recentley purchased a 4x5 speed graphic with the spring back. I plan on mainly shooting sheet film, but I have an old pa145 polaroid holder given to me by a friend I wanted to use, and was wondering how easy it would be to purchase a graflok back and change it? Is there a fair amount of DIY involved?

Thanks for any responses.

djdister
27-Aug-2015, 10:29
Two things:

Most Speed Graphics have Graflok backs, are you sure yours does not?
Use of a Polaroid holder does not require a Graflok back, it slides right in like a film holder.

Old-N-Feeble
27-Aug-2015, 11:18
You should be able to easily swap your spring back for a complete Graflok back... just be a matter of removing six screws and swapping the other back. However, it probably will be a bit pricey. Yes, you'll need the Graflok back to use the pa145 holder. What instant film will you be using?

dsphotog
27-Aug-2015, 11:19
Easy conversion, 6 screws.
The Graflok holds the Pol. back more securely when pulling the film/picture through the rollers, especially when shooting handheld.
Get a Pol. 405 holder that takes the Fuji instant 3 1/4x 4 1/4 packs. (enjoy it now, while it's still avail.)

Drew Bedo
27-Aug-2015, 12:09
"Easy conversion, 6 screws."

In my experience the Graflok screws go back into the same holes in the camera body.

Do I remember that right?

Old-N-Feeble
27-Aug-2015, 14:32
"Easy conversion, 6 screws."

In my experience the Graflok screws go back into the same holes in the camera body.

Do I remember that right?

In all I've seen, yes. There may be exceptions but I don't know of any.

Old-N-Feeble
27-Aug-2015, 14:36
Another thought: If you intend to use the rangefinder, and never the ground glass panel, then you can get by with a Graflok back without the focus panel and hood. This will cost you far less than a 'complete' back. In fact, if you don't care how pretty it is then the basic frame can be found at very reasonable prices.

dsphotog
27-Aug-2015, 16:25
Just don't try to mount the back from a Super Graphic, or Super Speed Graphic.... Totally different cameras.

Another option is to buy a roached out Crown or Speed with a Graflok back, and swap backs.... Then sell the leftovers.

brucetaylor
27-Aug-2015, 16:44
I tried installing a Graflok on an old Crown Graphic with a Graflex back (slotted film holders). The holes lined up but it required shimming because the film plane was slightly different. In the end I stuck with the original back-- the Graflok wasn't really needed and I sold the camera as is.

Old-N-Feeble
27-Aug-2015, 17:16
I tried installing a Graflok on an old Crown Graphic with a Graflex back (slotted film holders). The holes lined up but it required shimming because the film plane was slightly different. In the end I stuck with the original back-- the Graflok wasn't really needed and I sold the camera as is.

That's the really old original though... but it's a good and valid point.

Jim Jones
27-Aug-2015, 18:59
The sports frame peephole on the later SGs doesn't line up with the center of the frame of older SGs and vice versa. You may have to compensate after swapping backs.

Michael Cienfuegos
28-Aug-2015, 14:34
According to people at graflex.org, you can put a washer under the springs on the spring back and it will usually give you enough room to insert the Polaroid back with no problems. I successfully used this method on my Pre-Anniversary Speed until I was able to install a Graflok back.

m