PDA

View Full Version : Need help on APO Gerogon lens

Dan Dozer
11-Feb-2005, 00:11
I picked up a 210 mm Rodenstock APO Gerogon a while back on E-bay (dirt cheap) with the intent of using it on my 5 x 7 enlarger. It seems to work fine with that size negative. In doing some research, I now know that this lens was originally made for process work in the Graphic Arts Market. However, I'm also hearing about many photographers using it on their cameras for general photographic work . Does anyone know what kind of performance I could expect out of this lens both as an enlarger lens and a camera lens? My enlargements are rarely larger than 11 x 14, and I do primarily landscape work. For camera work, would this lens work better for long landscapes at infinity or for closer work?

tor kviljo
11-Feb-2005, 00:12
Rodenstock Apo-Gerogon is a 6-lens construction not unlike the Schneider G-claron, which is more known among LF photographers (among other things because it readiy is re-mounted in shutter, whereas the Apo-Gerogon I have had: (240mm f 9, 240mm f 11 Gerogon-W and 270mm f 9) had threads not compatible with current shutters. It is optimized (memory...) for magnification/reduction from 1:3 - 3:1 and would thus be perfect for tabletop & repro. However, these lenses perform very well at infinity when stopped down. It should work good on the enlarger for Your size images, but you might find that the f9 gives uncomfortable low illumination on the baseboard, I would guess You would have better use for it on the camera - in front of a packard or sinar-copal shutter for example.

Dan Dozer
11-Feb-2005, 00:13
Thanks Tor for the info - it helps me a understand this type of lens more. I was thinking of rigging up a Packard shutter to try it out. Do you know much about the Sinar type shutters? I am a complete novice about them. I see them all the time on E-bay, but don't really know how they work. I know that I can't screw this lens into conventional threads of a shutter, but what does the sinar actually look like on the front and back and how does it actually work?

tor kviljo
14-Feb-2005, 01:46
Hello again, Dan

The sinar-copal shutter (I have two, having used them for years) are very-big press-type shutters with speeds from 15 sek to 1/60 sek. They are mounted behind the front standard (on the rear side of the format frame) on any Sinar View camera, but can be adapted to other cameras. They are roughly 14 cm square in size, with fitting-flanges 140x140mm (Sinar - Horseman lensboard/bellows/back-size) with adjustment-lever on top, cable release tubing protouding out from lower left corner. Can be used on any camera where such a box can be fitted. Two types, Sinar Copal old type (greenish), and (black) sinar-copal DB with apereture-adjustment mechanism on right hand side when viewed from rear. The shutter is as other press-shutters tensioned & triggered by the cable release, which on this shutter is much stronger made & longer travel than any other cable-release. Be shure to get a working cable release if you buy a used shutter: expensive when bought as spare! The shutter is noisy and makes camera vibrate a little, but this movement is induced after shutter cycle is completed, and movement of camera during exposure is little, so the shutter works excellent on cameras mounted on ordinary stable field tripods. I use my shutters on an old Norma 5x7 and on a 4x5 Sinar f/Norma combination. Due to this, I have been able to purchase much cheaper top-quality optics than if I had to buy lenses in shutters. My complete lens set (three Nikkors: 90, 150 & 300, one fuji 240mm) is - cost of used shutter included - much less than half of what I would have to pay buying these used lenses in shutters. I have briefly used a packard-ideal for a big repro lens on 8"x10" indoor. Worked but with only 1/15 sek + B, I were very happy to upgrade to sinar-copal shutter. If You can get a working with cable for under $$ 200 - 300,- as I did, you should be able to pay for the shutter with the savings from the first quality shutterless lens you buy for it. Good luck! You have a good view of the older type here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29981&item=3870223904&rd=1 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29981&item=3870223904&rd=1)

Patrik Roseen
4-Apr-2006, 16:55
Dan Dozer, I also just picked up a Rodenstock 210mm f9 on ebay (low price), and I suspect it must be an apo-gerogon (the add didn't say) because I do not know of any other Rodenstock with this combination. Anyway, what did you eventually think of the characteristics of this lens? , did you use it for photography or only enlargement?