PDA

View Full Version : Richard Garrod

Hans Berkhout
17-Aug-2015, 18:15
Richard Garrod's website www.richardgarrodphoto.com has disappeared. Does any Forum member know if he has run into some trouble, is he OK?

Thanks,
Hans.

Merg Ross
17-Aug-2015, 20:58
Richard Garrod's website www.richardgarrodphoto.com has disappeared. Does any Forum member know if he has run into some trouble, is he OK?

Thanks,
Hans.

We were last in touch in January. He was in the middle of a time consuming silver print project of his best work from a long career. I was with him several months before his 90th birthday on a personal tour of his splendid work at a Pacific Grove gallery.

In April of next year (2016) Richard will be Guest Artist with Charles Farmer at the Spectrum Gallery in Fresno.

I believe his website disappeared due to his other activities. However, those unfamiliar with Richard Garrod's work can peruse his last book, "Visual Metaphors". It is a beautiful representation of work by a very fine photographer with a long and distinguished career.

Roger Thoms
17-Aug-2015, 21:21
And if you have an opportunity to see any of Richard Garrod's prints in person they are superb.

Roger

Merg Ross
17-Aug-2015, 21:54
And if you have an opportunity to see any of Richard Garrod's prints in person they are superb.

Roger

Thanks Roger, I should have mentioned that. Richard is indeed a master of the silver gelatin print process. Superb!

Michael Rosenberg
18-Aug-2015, 14:10
I met him years ago. One of the few to do b/w and color. And I feel lucky to have one of his prints to look at daily. It really glows!

Mike

Doug Howk
18-Aug-2015, 15:35
Already have his "Visual Prayers" and ordered his "Visual Metaphors" - thanks, Merg, wasn't aware of the latter.

Kirk Gittings
18-Aug-2015, 15:38
One of my favorites going back to the 70's.

Wayne
18-Aug-2015, 19:01
Wow. Looked up some of his work. Not sure how he escaped my notice until now, but good surprises are always nice. Fantastic!

Bruce Barlow
19-Aug-2015, 02:57
I remember he was at, or near the top of the Zone VI informal "favorite customer" list when I was there in the late 80s. He may be a fine photographer (he is, no doubt about it), but he is also a fine person.

Jerry Bodine
19-Aug-2015, 11:13
I met him in 1966 at the first of several AA Workshops. I recall asking him about 8x10 work. A very soft-spoken person and exceptionally willing to help. He made a large positive impression on me.

Jan Pietrzak
20-Aug-2015, 17:15
Hans,

I got an e-mail back from Dick (aka Mister Garrod) he is doing fine and just celebrated his 91 birthday in June....all seems to be fine from what he tells me....he has been working on his third book and hopes to finish it some time soon....I know that he is on facebook so friend him....other than that that is all I know.....I need to either get out to Monterey or get him out to Santa Fe.... jp

Hans Berkhout
20-Aug-2015, 17:49
Thank you Jan,

great to read this, about his ongoing creativity- at 91!
I saw a nice selection of his work in a Looking Glass Magazine back issue and it made me wonder what he is up to these days.

Jan Pietrzak
20-Aug-2015, 18:08
Hans,

Our friendship started at a conference when I was wearing his name tag.....later we found out that he lived in the same town I did, only years apart.....Dick is a wonderful person and photographer.....when I was teaching at Santa Monica College, CA.....we would do a weekend field trip.....the trip was set for Big Sur and I wanted to add something new to the trip so I rounded up some friends to talk to the students.....we had a great time with Dick, Huntington Wetherall, Henry Gilpin, and Al Weber doing a great presentation of there work and what it is like to be a photographer.....it was the best time I ever had teaching.....Dick is one of a kind.....jp