PDA

View Full Version : Commercial vs Wide Field Ektar?

boy412
16-Aug-2015, 14:58
Hello everyone! I am looking to pick up a nice portrait lens for my Crown Graphic and will be doing mostly wet plate work. After looking around a bit the 10" Ektar sounded really appealing. I've found a few available and was wondering what the difference was between the "Commercial" and "Wide Field" versions of this lens?

Also if anyone has any other suggestions for a nice portrait lens I would welcome the input. Other lenses that looked interesting to me were the 240mm Fujinon A, and a 250mm Zeiss Tessar. Some of the "soft focus" lenses like the Imagon and Fujinon SF are interesting too, but the effect seems a little contrived to me.

:)

Thanks!

Dan Fromm
16-Aug-2015, 15:23
Hmm. The 10"/6.3 Commercial Ektar is a very good tessar type that has more coverage than a 4x5 Graphic can use. The 250/6.3 WF Ektar is also a fine lens. It has even more coverage than the 10"/6.3 Commercial Ektar, would be wasted on a 4x5 Graphic.

Both are a little long for a 4x5 Graphic. You might want to consider, for example, a 10"/5.6 TeleOptar (also sold as TeleRaptar) because it will focus closer. I didn't like mine but many other users like theirs.

Ari
16-Aug-2015, 15:26
A good, and inexpensive, option for wet plate is the series of Kodak Anastigmat lenses.
They are faster than the Commercial Ektars, at f4,5; they're uncoated, small, lightweight, and surprisingly sharp.

boy412
16-Aug-2015, 15:28
Thanks for the input Dan. I am curious about how a different 10" lens (the TeleOptar you mentioned) is less "long" than the Ektar? Does that mean less bellows extension is needed, and therefore a better fit for the Graphic?

Bill_1856
16-Aug-2015, 15:46
10" Tele-Optar (same as Tele-Raptar) for me. Perfect with Speed/Crown Graphics.

Tim Meisburger
16-Aug-2015, 16:34
Thanks for the input Dan. I am curious about how a different 10" lens (the TeleOptar you mentioned) is less "long" than the Ektar? Does that mean less bellows extension is needed, and therefore a better fit for the Graphic?

Tele lenses focus at less than their focal length. For example, a 360mm tele-xenar focuses at infinity at about 200mm (rather then 360). Normally, the limiting factor for close focus is bellows length. A Crown will not focus a normal 360mm because its bellows length is only around 300mm, but it will focus a 360mm tele-xenar. Using a tele lens means you can use a longer lens on a camera with limited bellows length, but it has other drawbacks (i.e harder to use with movements).

any normal lens in the 180 to 210mm range could be nice for portraits on a Crown, and as several have mentioned, the old raptars and optars are nice, and cheap!

William Whitaker
16-Aug-2015, 16:46
I've found a few available and was wondering what the difference was between the "Commercial" and "Wide Field" versions of this lens?

A Commercial Ektar is a Tessar-type formula. A Wide-Field Ektar is a double-Gauss formula noted for a large coverage. Very different lenses, although both have been used effectively for portraits. Something like a Zeiss Tessar 1C or a Wollensak Velostigmat would perhaps be a more solid choice for portraits. They're plentiful and relatively inexpensive. At wider apertures they are very pleasing for portraiture.

boy412
17-Aug-2015, 07:33
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! And thanks Tim for explaining the bellows thing. Makes sense.

DrTang
17-Aug-2015, 08:09
Hmm. The 10"/6.3 Commercial Ektar is a very good tessar type that has more coverage than a 4x5 Graphic can use. The 250/6.3 WF Ektar is also a fine lens. It has even more coverage than the 10"/6.3 Commercial Ektar, would be wasted on a 4x5 Graphic.

Both are a little long for a 4x5 Graphic. You might want to consider, for example, a 10"/5.6 TeleOptar (also sold as TeleRaptar) because it will focus closer. I didn't like mine but many other users like theirs.

would a 250 WFE even fit on a crown?? don't they use an Ilex #5 shutter?

I have one sitting on a shelf..I'll look when I get home

boy412
18-Aug-2015, 09:27
would a 250 WFE even fit on a crown?? don't they use an Ilex #5 shutter?

I have one sitting on a shelf..I'll look when I get home

It does look pretty huge now that I'm looking at it again. No need to check DrTang.

:)

I've found a decent looking Wollensak Raptar on eBay. What do we think?

Clicky Click (http://www.ebay.com/itm/151759900637)

DrTang
18-Aug-2015, 09:39
know what I like? and think they have to be the most under-rated lenses ever?

Ilex Paragons

they are a bit too 'gritty' for what I am doing now..but eventually..I will start something they are suited for..gritty portraits..industrial scenes, etc

they are great lenses I think

Ari
18-Aug-2015, 09:40
It looks like a good candidate for general-purpose photography.
If you'll be doing wet plate, the shutter won't be of much use, since your exposures will start at 1s and get longer from there.
A front lens cap would be handy for those situations, or you can use "T" or "B".

boy412
26-Aug-2015, 13:32
Still searching. I can't access the "for sale" sub-forum just yet unfortunately.

Had a lead on a Tele-Optar from another member here, then he decided to keep it. Can't say I blame him too much...very pretty lens!

Found a 10" Ektar on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kodak-Commercial-Ektar-f6-3-10-Inch-lens-in-a-No-4-Acme-Synchro-Shutter-/121734223700) but it seems a little spendy for what it is. Also needs a CLA which would add to the cost. Even if I'd never use those longer shutter speeds I'd still want it to be mechanically sound. :rolleyes:

John Kasaian
26-Aug-2015, 13:50
A 240 G Claron in a Copal 1 should fit on the lens board, but I don't know if the camera would fold up with one in situ.
I don't know if a Crown would have enough bellows length to get the most out of a 10" or even a 240mm lens.
I'd consider a 215mm Ilex Paragon for a long-ish lens.

Dan Fromm
26-Aug-2015, 13:53
John, that's why I suggested a telephoto. Less draw at infinity ...

boy412
26-Aug-2015, 14:10
John, that's why I suggested a telephoto. Less draw at infinity ...

Indeed. I think a 10" Tele-Optar is what I would like. :)