PDA

View Full Version : Series Please?? Cooke 36 inch process lens

andrewch59
13-Aug-2015, 21:22
I would like to ask those far better informed than myself about this lens I purchased very cheaply on Fee Bay. I know its a process lens but which series, it has no writing on it but I can tell its a Cooke just by looking at it. Focal length is 36 inch by the paper test, Image is very impressive, but I haven't mounted it on a camera yet. It has no iris diaphragm, that has been removed, but I guess waterhouse stops in the filter cavity perhaps. F16-64, three inch lenses. One in front of the iris cavity, two behind. Ser No: 126331 which at a guestimate is around 1927-28 ish

Andrew Plume
14-Aug-2015, 01:51
Hi

this doesn't confirm 'the series' but it's a very useful resource:

http://www.allenrumme.com/lensdb/Process.html

regards
andrew

andrewch59
14-Aug-2015, 05:38
Hi

this doesn't confirm 'the series' but it's a very useful resource:

http://www.allenrumme.com/lensdb/Process.html

regards
andrew

Thanks Andrew

SergeiR
14-Aug-2015, 07:27
Um.. i have Cooke process 36 inch.. its f10... never paid attn to serial #.. ;) but i know mine got series printed on it.. i can look later, if you want.

William Whitaker
14-Aug-2015, 09:25
Suggest you try contacting Barbara Lowry at Cooke Optics. I believe she's listed on their masthead on the Cooke site. Her name seems to pop up with some frequency on some of the other photo forums and she has a lot of historical information/knowledge regarding their products.

Cheers

andrewch59
14-Aug-2015, 10:04
Hi Sergei, that's a big difference in speed between two lenses of the same FL, by the same brand, yes I would be interested to see what yours was, tks. Do you use it much?? My 11x14 seems waaaay too small for it.

Thanks for the lead Will, I'll look her up.

andrewch59
14-Aug-2015, 10:21
I have just found info at the cameraeccentrics website, Sergei yours must be between 16 and 25 inch FL? at f:10 and my suspicions that it is a VB are correct. Not my biggest chunk of brass&glass, but definitely the longest FL. The pic on the GG is surprisingly clear from what I have heard about process lenses, would need an extra 20ft of space to use it comfortably though, should be good at what it was designed for, I just need to put in another bellows extension on the deardorff. May be a shelf sitter until I take it outside.