PDA

View Full Version : Canon Pro-100 Printer deal

HMG
12-Aug-2015, 06:24
http://www.techbargains.com/canon-pixma-pro100-deals

I don't usually post "deals", but thought I'd pass this one on. I realize this printer is low-end compared to what many use, but for us non-professionals it might be (as the say on Prairie Home Companion) "good enough". I like mine.

Moderator, please remove (or move) if inappropriate.

mijosc
12-Aug-2015, 09:52
I have one and mostly like it. For the money I think it's a good value. However, at some point I would like to upgrade to an Epson 3880 or maybe the new P800.

mdarnton
12-Aug-2015, 10:59
I got one on a similar deal a year or two ago. For the money, you can't beat it. I got it because it has three-grey B&W printing, and on that it does a great job. I don't know how it works for color.

Chance2
12-Aug-2015, 12:23
I already have one, but it needs ink (or dye, in this case). So I decided to give it a shot. A whole printer with cartridges for $50 sounds better than paying more than a $100 for a set of cartridges alone. But when I tried entering the coupon code I received this message:

Sorry!!!
Please try again soon

That's a rather odd message to get from B&H, but... apparently the coupon code is no good. For anyone needing a nice printer, $150 after rebate is still a great price, IMO.

Jon Shiu
12-Aug-2015, 13:09
Great deal. Code works fine and you get a free pack of paper. But the cartridges as I recall are starter cartridges, ie not full?

Jon

Chance2
12-Aug-2015, 13:51
Alright, it worked this time. I don't recall mine coming with starter cartridges, but it has this message under accessories:

Make sure you pick up a full set of ink to replace the introductory set that is included with your Canon PIXMA PRO-100 Wireless Professional Inkjet Photo Printer.

Guess I'll resume waiting for a deal on a set of cartridges.

HMG
12-Aug-2015, 15:06
Alright, it worked this time. I don't recall mine coming with starter cartridges, but it has this message under accessories:

Make sure you pick up a full set of ink to replace the introductory set that is included with your Canon PIXMA PRO-100 Wireless Professional Inkjet Photo Printer.

Guess I'll resume waiting for a deal on a set of cartridges.

You may have a long wait. That's one reason they can offer such a great deal on the printer. :)

Pali K
13-Aug-2015, 10:28
I have this printer and I think it is awesome for the money! I bought ink for it for over $100 recently but needed more paper, extra ink, and a backup printer for $50 is just too good to resist so I just bought one. It was out of stock but I was still able to use the coupon ($299 checkout) and download the rebate ($250) form.

Also, having used both the starter and fresh new inks for this printer, I don't really see any difference between the two. They both come in the same package and they lasted just the same. I think the language there for starter set is just creative marketing to make people buy more ink.

Thanks for posting this!

Peter De Smidt
13-Aug-2015, 10:32
This is a dye printer, right? So one should use swellable paper, as opposed to instant dry, right? Does anyone know what swellable media is still available?

Tin Can
13-Aug-2015, 11:43
I got one on a similar deal a year or two ago. For the money, you can't beat it. I got it because it has three-grey B&W printing, and on that it does a great job. I don't know how it works for color.

Does PRO-100 use up color inks as it prints B&W? My PRO-1 did and needed all 12 inks constantly. I never found a way to just use B&W inks.

The starter set was enough to prime the dern thing and then it was a money pit for me.

I gave mine away.

Peter De Smidt
13-Aug-2015, 12:20
In reading about the printer, I came across mention of a BW mode which only uses the 3 black inks to make a print.

Eric Biggerstaff
13-Aug-2015, 12:35
It is a great printer for the money! I bought one last year from B&H on a similar deal and have been very happy. Does B&W great and I use it for digi negs as well. It does use a small amount of color ink along with the three black/grey inks depending on the tone of you want. I like mine a little warm. I have had no issues with the printer and have put about 1000 sheets through it, not much by some standard but for me it is a lot.

mijosc
13-Aug-2015, 12:53
Does PRO-100 use up color inks as it prints B&W?

Yes, I never have been able to get mine to produce a perfectly neutral monochrome print. It's still a decent printer, especially for the price.

Peter De Smidt
13-Aug-2015, 12:57
User experience trumps on online specification!

mijosc
13-Aug-2015, 13:03
In reading about the printer, I came across mention of a BW mode which only uses the 3 black inks to make a print.

I've tried the B&W mode and I still get shadows that look slightly greenish to me. If anybody has a workflow that's getting them neutral B&W prints from this printer, I'd love to know if I'm doing something wrong.

colorfulbliss
13-Aug-2015, 15:07
I own this printer, and as an amateur I love it. Anyone owning this printer or considering purchasing one should take a look at diy refill kits. I bought a kit from PrecisionColors for about $150 that included the chip resetter, all filling tools and enough ink to refill all the cartridges about 10 times. Their website also has custom profiles for the ink and numerous common papers. This makes a good deal so so much better!

Eric Biggerstaff
14-Aug-2015, 07:04
Thanks for posting that information "colorfulbliss"! The review of the Pro-100 is outstanding. I think I will try their inks and see how they compare to OEM. Looks like it is an easy conversion.

Mark Sawyer
14-Aug-2015, 11:34
A note that cheaper aftermarket inks often fade much more quickly than OEM or other high-end inks.

Peter De Smidt
14-Aug-2015, 15:19
I'd be especially worried about dye inks fading. The only ones that I know that did fairly well at Aardenburg are HP DJ130, and the latest Canon and Epson dyes on swellable media.

Willie
15-Aug-2015, 16:00
What is the longest print it will do? Says 13x19. Can it print 30 - 60 inch long prints or longer?

Martin Dake
15-Aug-2015, 17:55
Canon are quick with the rebate too.
Sent mine in around July 25th, got the rebate gift card today.