PDA

View Full Version : Adams Retouching Machine Operating Instructions

Jim Fitzgerald
10-Aug-2015, 21:34
Some of you know I sold my Adams Retouching machine. It came with the original operation manual. I had many, many requests for a copy of it so I decided to put it in a PDF file but it is to big to post here so send an e-mail to jimfitzgerald101@hotmail.com and I'll send you a copy.

Thanks.

EdSawyer
11-Aug-2015, 13:14
If you need web hosting, I could probably host it publicly for you if you want, at no cost. Just an idea.

thanks
-Ed

Jim Fitzgerald
11-Aug-2015, 17:00
I could post this on my website but if someone wants it they can just e-mail me and ......... done.

EdSawyer
12-Aug-2015, 10:41
Yeah, but what about in the future? This thread will get buried, you may move on, decide to not send it out anymore, etc. If it's hosted somewhere, everyone can get it, it will get into archive.org, etc. Much more future-proofed. That's my $0.02. ;-)

-Ed

David A. Goldfarb
12-Aug-2015, 12:41
I've emailed Jim for a copy of the PDF. Maybe I can find a place for it on the forum or resize it to fit.

Jim Fitzgerald
12-Aug-2015, 22:43
Everyone who is interested I've sent this to. Now I'm no tech guy at all and I've sent the PDF to several who may be better at posting this than me so please do so. The only other thing I can think of is to send it to Dan so he can put it with all of camera eccentric's info? Does that sound okay? just an idea.

Jac@stafford.net
13-Aug-2015, 08:05
For those interested, Jim Fitzgerald's post-processed Adams Machine PDF is here (http://www.digoliardi.net/adams-instructions-w3.pdf). It loads quickly and the text can be searched.

Thank you to Jim for making the scans.

Jim Fitzgerald
13-Aug-2015, 08:49
Jac, thanks a lot for doing this. I hope this helps many people.

EdSawyer
13-Aug-2015, 09:55
Thanks, good that it's hosted somewhere now.

David A. Goldfarb
13-Aug-2015, 10:23
Handy!

Tin Can
13-Aug-2015, 10:31
The instructions contain concise instructions for more than 3 retouching techniques.

I found it useful and I etch, scratch, pencil LF negatives.

I think it needs a LFPF place of it's own as it is a rare and useful piece of paper.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
13-Aug-2015, 11:11
For those interested in learning to retouch using the Adams Machine, I can recommend Retouching from start to finish by Veronica Cass. It is out of print, but is readily available used.

Tin Can
13-Aug-2015, 11:36
For those interested in learning to retouch using the Adams Machine, I can recommend Retouching from start to finish by Veronica Cass. It is out of print, but is readily available used.

I have it, great book.

Michael Clark
13-Aug-2015, 17:14
Thanks Jim and Jac. got the down load.

Mike

Jac@stafford.net
13-Aug-2015, 17:30
What we need now is the recommended Adams etching tool. As far as I know,
Randy Moe is the only person who has one. Am I wrong? Can we make a
substitute?

Tin Can
13-Aug-2015, 17:42
What we need now is the recommended Adams etching tool. As far as I know,
Randy Moe is the only person who has one. Am I wrong? Can we make a
substitute?

I know some here have the tool and they are not all the same.

My Kodak is a slightly curved small blade, which Exacto blades don't match, but they may be used.

I am very handy with a single sided razor blade as I have used them by the 1000's handheld to clean and modify surfaces that were not film, but just as delicate. Decades of soft thin teflon coating work.

Once you start you will make your tools.

David A. Goldfarb
13-Aug-2015, 19:12
Other manuals that I've found useful, though they predate the Adams Machine are

How to Retouch Negatives. The Photo Miniature. Vol. XI, no. 122 (Jan. 1913).

Robert Johnson (et al. in many editions). The Art of Retouching and Improving Negatives and Prints. Boston: American Photographic Publishing Co., editions of 1930, 1936, 1941, and beyond.

At least one version of Johnson is available on google books.

RickV
13-Aug-2015, 21:09
Thank you Jim and John for making this available. Cheers.

Jim Fitzgerald
14-Aug-2015, 05:10
I wish I would have thought about posting this sooner. Glad to get it out there.

BOB MURPHY
20-Aug-2015, 18:06
Did you ever get the 2 VERONICA CASS books. If you did not I have then and will give them to you. And let me know if you found the tools. Let me know one way or the other.