PDA

View Full Version : Reply with quote

Randy
4-Aug-2015, 05:25
I may be a grumpy old man...no wait...I know I am a grumpy old man, and because of that character flaw that I have acquired over the years, I find myself shaking my head at my monitor as I scroll through a particular thread, any thread, but usually the LF Portrait thread, when members are offering positive feedback on a portrait, and because they use "reply with quote" I have to see the same portrait over and over and over again as I scroll down to (hopefully) find the next submission. I don't like this practice when (in my opinion) it is a good portrait, and I really don't like it when (in my opinion) it is not a particularly good portrait. Why would I want to see the same portrait multiple times on the same page...?
That is why, when I "reply with quote" I usually cut out the image portion of the text UNLESS I am commenting on an image that was on a previous page.

If this has been addressed before, as usual please ignore.

vinny
4-Aug-2015, 05:44
I may be a grumpy old man...no wait...I know I am a grumpy old man, and because of that character flaw that I have acquired over the years, I find myself shaking my head at my monitor as I scroll through a particular thread, any thread, but usually the LF Portrait thread, when members are offering positive feedback on a portrait, and because they use "reply with quote" I have to see the same portrait over and over and over again as I scroll down to (hopefully) find the next submission. I don't like this practice when (in my opinion) it is a good portrait, and I really don't like it when (in my opinion) it is not a particularly good portrait. Why would I want to see the same portrait multiple times on the same page...?
That is why, when I "reply with quote" I usually cut out the image portion of the text UNLESS I am commenting on an image that was on a previous page.

If this has been addressed before, as usual please ignore.
Yeah, this practice makes me crazy as well. I mean, I know you're the one talking in the post before me but I can't help it.

Corran
4-Aug-2015, 05:46
Actually what's worse is when their reply is inside the quote for some reason.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who leaves the image in if the quote is from a previous page.

Jim Jones
4-Aug-2015, 05:47
I agree, although your previous page may not be the same as other people's previous page. We can also identify the photo we comment on by noting the post number or member's name.

jb7
4-Aug-2015, 06:46
I may be a grumpy old man...no wait...I know I am a grumpy old man, and because of that character flaw that I have acquired over the years, I find myself shaking my head at my monitor as I scroll through a particular thread, any thread, ...

It doesn't bother me, since the internet is infinite and my scrolling finger is hardly over-exercised.

It's particularly useful when referencing an image on an earlier page, since each page contains only 10 posts. It's also useful to see the comments pinned to the image in question, and I appreciate that more than having to search back for a post number or a user name.

i don't know, maybe I'm just not quite old enough yet.

Oren Grad
4-Aug-2015, 07:49
It's particularly useful when referencing an image on an earlier page, since each page contains only 10 posts.

You can change that with your Forum settings.

Back to Randy's concern: unfortunately there's no ideal solution to this one, since how the tradeoffs balance will depend on an individual's viewing preferences, Forum settings and web setup.

Greg Miller
4-Aug-2015, 08:04
UNLESS I am commenting on an image that was on a previous page.

No need to even do that especially since what is YOUR previous page may be different for someone else). If you are quoting a post, then people can click on the arrow to the right of the quoted person;s name to be taken directly to the post being quoted.

IanG
4-Aug-2015, 08:14
Thanks Greg

I'd never noticed that. Personally I prefer to only quote the relevant section(s).

Ian

Kirk Gittings
4-Aug-2015, 08:20
From my POV it is a good thing. As I visit the picture threads infrequently and never go back very far to see what I have missed, this practice gets me to notice images I might have missed.

ghostcount
4-Aug-2015, 09:52
Because I'm lazy to hit the delete key. :o

...and I really don't like it when (in my opinion) it is not a particularly good portrait. ...

I will make an effort to delete ugly photos in my 'Reply with quote' next time around. Though, I don't reply to ugly photos - it's considered rude. :(

rdenney
4-Aug-2015, 10:01
I may be a grumpy old man...no wait...I know I am a grumpy old man, and because of that character flaw that I have acquired over the years, I find myself shaking my head at my monitor as I scroll through a particular thread, any thread, but usually the LF Portrait thread, when members are offering positive feedback on a portrait, and because they use "reply with quote" I have to see the same portrait over and over and over again as I scroll down to (hopefully) find the next submission.

What bugs me much more is when someone whose opinion I respect praises a photo but doesn't quote anything. I have to figure which photo was praiseworthy.

Rick "#firstworldproblems" Denney

Old-N-Feeble
4-Aug-2015, 10:15
Unnecessary repetition: It's fractured... damage to thread irreparable. You broke the forum? You broke the bloody forum!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKjo9dldp2g

IanG
4-Aug-2015, 10:17
What bugs me much more is when someone whose opinion I respect praises a photo but doesn't quote anything. I have to figure which photo was praiseworthy.

Rick "#firstworldproblems" Denney

That goes hand in hand witk Kirk's comment.

From my POV it is a good thing. As I visit the picture threads infrequently and never go back very far to see what I have missed, this practice gets me to notice images I might have missed.

You either need to post the image in a quote or make it apparent if your reply isn't the next post.

Ian

Randy Moe
4-Aug-2015, 10:18

+1

goamules
4-Aug-2015, 13:26
I'm with you Randy. Sometimes an entire page is full of duplicate images, with people simply saying "nice shot." It does get old to see the pic, then see it again, then again, then again, then again.....see what I mean? Irritating, eh?!

Lachlan 717
4-Aug-2015, 15:31
Aren't most of these replies against the guidelines, anyway?

Forum: Image Sharing (LF) & Discussion
"Critiques should only be offered if requested by the original poster".

Randy Moe
4-Aug-2015, 18:02

Yep...

DennisD
4-Aug-2015, 18:52
I

Regardless of whether or not someone asks for a critique of an image....
I never understood the guidelines to imply that members should NOT say anything positive about a posted image.

A complement might be construed as a form of critique, but certainly does no harm and is really an affirmation of the other person's effort.

If someone requests "critiquing" of an image, I would take that to mean real criticism. IOW, he or she is ready to hear the "bad", "good", and "ugly" along with some discussion on how the image or technique might be improved.

OTOH, if critique is not specifically requested, I always felt the guidelines implied negative comments or even constructive advice would not be appropriate.

Just my two cents.

Lachlan 717
4-Aug-2015, 23:24
It's not just the comments; it's the inane questions like "What f stop did you use" and "Is that Provia" that I also dislike (from one member in particular).

Ralph Barker
5-Aug-2015, 06:00
Just a reminder, there is always the "Ignore List". ;)

Taija71A
5-Aug-2015, 06:21
Thank-you for the reminder Ralph.
That might just be... An "In-friggin-credible" idea! ;)
--
Now back to our immediate discussion:

Doesn't bother me...

DennisD
5-Aug-2015, 12:11
It's not just the comments; it's the inane questions like "What f stop did you use" and "Is that Provia" that I also dislike (from one member in particular).

I see your point and agree. I've always enjoyed this quote from Plato,
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."

ghostcount
6-Aug-2015, 12:45
Just a reminder, there is always the "Ignore List". ;)

You still see comments (and images) from quoted posts of ignored members but I guess having such a list is a consolation. :(

appletree
6-Aug-2015, 14:03
No need to even do that especially since what is YOUR previous page may be different for someone else). If you are quoting a post, then people can click on the arrow to the right of the quoted person;s name to be taken directly to the post being quoted.

Woah. TIL. Thanks.

sun of sand
6-Aug-2015, 18:41
Here is interesting point

If I'm told by a moderator or anyone that my long rambling posts eat up too much bandwidth and have no place here
The reposting of photos multiple times in a thread only to congratulate the photog
Even when comments on images are supposedly not the ideal whether pos or neg
Is what?

And on the subject of rudeness isn't it rude to comment on one but not all
I believe that if you're feeling compelled to comment on beauty you should do so in private

Lachlan 717
6-Aug-2015, 21:53
What's a "photog"?

sun of sand
6-Aug-2015, 21:56
Take a shot gretzky

sun of sand
6-Aug-2015, 22:00
But even more offensive is the quoting of a long post when it isn't even needed

Its like people attempting to show they're listening or having a 1on1 by repeating everything said by the other before replying

Um
Quoting is not needed when you're the 1st to reply

Sal Santamaura
7-Aug-2015, 06:36
...Um...What's the meaning/purpose of these two letters?

...Quoting is not needed when you're the 1st to replyOne has no way of knowing in advance that someone else's reply will not be posted before one's own. Quoting is the only way to absolutely preclude ambiguity.

Corran
7-Aug-2015, 06:45
One has no way of knowing in advance that someone else's reply will not be posted before one's own. Quoting is the only way to absolutely preclude ambiguity.

I never quote when I'm the first response either, and if someone's post pops up before mine because they were faster on the draw I just edit my reply and add the quote.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=define%3A+um

Sal Santamaura
7-Aug-2015, 07:29
...Um...

What's the meaning/purpose of these two letters?...

I never quote when I'm the first response either, and if someone's post pops up before mine because they were faster on the draw I just edit my reply and add the quote...Unless, before you notice that, someone quotes you. Then you wouldn't be able to edit.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=define%3A+umIt was a rhetorical question, Bryan. Meant to point out the absurd affectation that detracts from a speaker's/writer's appearance of being literate. :)

Corran
7-Aug-2015, 07:31
Unless, before you notice that, someone quotes you. Then you wouldn't be able to edit.

Well let's be real, it's not that big of a deal. Between seeing the extra post behind mine, and then clicking "quote" on the original post, copying it, and then editing my post, that's about 10-15 seconds. So someone would have to be dang fast and on the ball to beat me to that. I've just edited this post 3 times, for instance (clarity).

sun of sand
7-Aug-2015, 07:48
I never quote when I'm the first response either, and if someone's post pops up before mine because they were faster on the draw I just edit my reply and add the quote.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=define%3A+um

That's also unneeded quotation
So much so you wonder if it was meant to be funny

But I really meant post #2 quotes post #1
That's just stupid
But many times the content of a post makes it perfectly clear which post its in response to
I think people just don't read
And yes
I know everyone reads
But not all read read

sun of sand
7-Aug-2015, 08:03
Unless, before you notice that, someone quotes you. Then you wouldn't be able to edit.

It was a rhetorical question, Bryan. Meant to point out the absurd affectation that detracts from a speaker's/writer's appearance of being literate. :)

This entire chain is unneeded
It didn't quote the entire chain of 3-4 posts relating to um
You see that too much
Perhaps not here but on the net in general you do

Perhaps not all are concentrating on making you believe things through professional appearance
Some would define such behavior as posing
I'd rather hustle and prove peoples shallow judgments about a person as incorrect

People rarely learn anything when giving too much credit
They just end up feeling scammed instead of looking at their processes which enabled the scam to take place

appletree
7-Aug-2015, 08:19
Why is everything [figuratively] offensive to everyone [figuratively]?

If something bothers you, perhaps avoid it altogether or spend time investing in things that don't bother you.
Putting hope/finding happiness in the world and the things of the world will continuously fail you, for it impossible for everything to be perfect and fitting for everyone.

Love you all! Enjoy your weekend, may the weather be nice wherever you are.

lecarp
7-Aug-2015, 08:29
What's a "photog"?

I think this was covered once before, I believe it is a Klingon dog.

Sal Santamaura
7-Aug-2015, 09:04
...Some would define such behavior as posing...I have no interest in or concern with how "some" define anything. American English, as defined in real dictionaries, is the only basis of written communication I'm interested in. :D

Sal Santamaura
7-Aug-2015, 09:09
Well let's be real...I'm nothing if not real. Fantasy, science fiction, etc. have never interested me. :D

...it's not that big of a deal...No need for "of" in that phrase. At least not in American English. :D:D

...Between seeing the extra post behind mine, and then clicking "quote" on the original post, copying it, and then editing my post, that's about 10-15 seconds. So someone would have to be dang fast and on the ball to beat me to that...Only if you go back to the thread and look at it immediately after posting. Others frequently "post and run," then get quoted. I stand by the value of always quoting to avoid ambiguity.

Old-N-Feeble
7-Aug-2015, 09:45
But even more offensive is the quoting of a long post when it isn't even needed

Its like people attempting to show they're listening or having a 1on1 by repeating everything said by the other before replying

Um
Quoting is not needed when you're the 1st to reply

If my response is obviously in reply to the previous post then I don't quote nor address the other member by name. If my reply could be even slightly ambiguous regard to whom I'm addressing my post then I add their moniker at the beginning of my post. If my post could in any way be misconstrued then I usually include a partial quote, adding "<snip>" before and/or after text I've deleted, or I bold and/or underline the text I'm referring to. If another post is added while I was typing then I edit as necessary.

SoS, I quoted you in full to pi$$ you off. :D

BrianShaw
7-Aug-2015, 09:50
Seriously????

Old-N-Feeble
7-Aug-2015, 09:50
Unless, before you notice that, someone quotes you. Then you wouldn't be able to edit.<snip>

Then you've got to be quick quick QUICK!! :D

Old-N-Feeble
7-Aug-2015, 09:55
This ia another way I sometimes use quoted text.

Why is everything [figuratively] offensive to everyone. [figuratively]?

>>> Because some folks are always pi$$ed off. :D

If something bothers you, perhaps avoid it altogether or spend time investing in things that don't bother you.

>>> Because some folks are gluttons for punishment... or simply have a deep-seated need to complain about how stupid other people are. :D

>>> Remainder of original quote snipped.

Ralph Barker
7-Aug-2015, 09:57
Let's keep the conversation cordial.

Taija71A
7-Aug-2015, 09:58
Agreed!
No quotations required herein. :)

Old-N-Feeble
7-Aug-2015, 09:59
Seriously????

If you're referring to my post #39 then no, I wasn't being serious. That last line was a feeble attempt at trying to lighten the mood... 'twas a joke.;)

Old-N-Feeble
7-Aug-2015, 10:01
Let's keep the conversation cordial.

Hi Ralph,

If my posts are being misinterpreted then I'll change them. I'm not trying to be sarcastic or rude. I'm trying to lighten the mood with humor.

appletree
7-Aug-2015, 10:08
I too was just trying to break up the monotony of the "seriousness" of quoting preferences for text/photos on this internet forum.
Since I am not offering relevant advice, and I have no dog in this race, I will peacefully let you all continue your discussion.

BrianShaw
7-Aug-2015, 10:27
If you're referring to my post #39 then no, I wasn't being serious. That last line was a feeble attempt at trying to lighten the mood... 'twas a joke.;)

Get over yourself. It's not about you but the whole conversation. Get a life folks; it's not that big a deal.

(Did I get that right Sal? �� )

Corran
7-Aug-2015, 10:31
Sheesh, I forgot there's no reason to discuss anything with Sal "Grammer Nazi" Santamaura. Nevermind, yes you're right and perfect, let's all make sure to operate like he prefers.

Lachlan 717
7-Aug-2015, 11:05
Any point in bringing up the irony of you whinging about things being unnecessary and using a treble return carriage thereafter?

I still don't know what a "photog" is... Your unnecessary Grestsky response didn't answer my question. Again, irony is abundant in the pointless nature of that unnecessary response.

That's also unneeded quotation
So much so you wonder if it was meant to be funny

But I really meant post #2 quotes post #1
That's just stupid
But many times the content of a post makes it perfectly clear which post its in response to
I think people just don't read
And yes
I know everyone reads
But not all read read

Old-N-Feeble
7-Aug-2015, 11:11
Get over yourself. It's not about you but the whole conversation. Get a life folks; it's not that big a deal.

(Did I get that right Sal? �� )

I've apparently offended you at some time. Whatever it was, I'm sorry. I hope quoting your post isn't offensive.;)

BrianShaw
7-Aug-2015, 12:40
I've apparently offended you at some time. Whatever it was, I'm sorry. I hope quoting your post isn't offensive.;)

It's not you. This isn't about you. My comment was generic... This thread is Just so much ado about nothing but intolerant grumpiness.

Old-N-Feeble
7-Aug-2015, 13:21
It's not you. This isn't about you. My comment was generic... This thread is Just so much ado about nothing but intolerant grumpiness.

Since you quoted me it seemed obvious something I wrote offended you. Had you not quoted me I wouldn't have made that assumption.:p

BrianShaw
7-Aug-2015, 13:26
Since you quoted me it seemed obvious something I wrote offended you. Had you not quoted me I wouldn't have made that assumption.:p

That's the ironic part. I didn't quote you or anyone else. Ironic isn't it?

Old-N-Feeble
7-Aug-2015, 13:51
Brian, I'm referring to post #48. :)

rdenney
8-Aug-2015, 08:16
Oh, fer cryin' out loud.

ONF, everyone understands, it's okay. Brian, no need for further explanation.

Sal, some games are not worth the candle.

SoS, did you miss the irony of the well-trimmed quote of "Um"?

Bryan, it's reasonable for people to trim their quotes to the part that is essential to maintain the thread. But I often use my iPhone so I can follow the forum when not at a computer, which is most of the time. Trimming quotes on an iPhone is a real pain, and I've done it enough to know. Yes, it's nice when people do it. But a relevant quote has two effects: it makes the post stand on its own, even when viewed in a search where the thread isn't visible, and it prevents the person to whom you are responding from editing the point that you are arguing. But quoting a post that is likely to be deleted will get your post deleted, too.

Quoting photos causes no harm at all. Browsers only download it once, and pull it out of the cache for repeated display. Just scroll past it.

We've covered the ground of offering negative critiques before, and the answer is: not without the photographer's permission. Not everyone who is willing to provide a negative critique is as qualified to do so as they imagine.

Lachlan, "photog" is lazy typing slang for "photographer".

SoS, the e e cummings thing gets old after a while.

There, did I cover everything?

It's hot outside and everyone is losing their minds. A tall glass of iced tea works for me.

Rick "relaxing at a campsite on the Blue Ridge and laughing" Denney

BrianShaw
8-Aug-2015, 10:08
I think you got it all Rick. Now how about a bit less moderation from you and a lot more relaxation and laughter. Hope your having a great vacation. Me too. But in a much more urban setting than you.

BrianShaw
8-Aug-2015, 10:09
Should I have quoted you for continuity or is it ok as is?

DennisD
8-Aug-2015, 10:36
Oh, fer cryin' out loud.

At the risk of getting in trouble, I'm just showing a little quote.

Rick, I thought for sure you would have closed the thread !

Old-N-Feeble
8-Aug-2015, 11:09
Why? It's in the appropriate forum.

Sal Santamaura
8-Aug-2015, 18:34
...Sal, some games are not worth the candle...That's why I only expended a few wax drips on it and then left laughing. :)