PDA

View Full Version : I have 8x10 GAS!!!

stradibarrius
2-Aug-2015, 06:32
I have only shot 4x5 to this point but have developed a case of 8x10 GAS...For those of you that have experience with both 4x5 and 8x10 can you help me out???
I know with 8x10 I can make contact prints that are not as viewable in 4x5, generally. Also I know 8x10 is heavier and more expensive but what are some other positives and negatives too. I think, that it would be easier to use Xray film with 8x10 too, which is something I would like to try.
I am also interested in trying carbon printing and some other alternative techniques if this has any bearing on format size...

karl french
2-Aug-2015, 06:54
All your questions can be answered by spending time reading this very forum. Make use of the vast and informative archive of posts.

Paul Metcalf
2-Aug-2015, 06:56
I know with 8x10 I can make contact prints that are not as viewable in 4x5, generally. I do not understand this statement at all. Please amplify.

Taija71A
2-Aug-2015, 07:21
Gas in the 8x10 digestive tract is a very common problem... For Large Format 'Newbies'.
But, when the gas becomes excessive... It can be painful and embarrassing.

Here is my suggestion for preventing GAS:

* * * Just, 'Shoot' with the 4x5 Equipment that you presently own. * * *

The thing that I like the most about this remedy... Is that it doesn't require the purchase of any additional 8x10 'Over-the-counter Supplements'.

This remedy actually works!
It will soothe your stomach and give you 'instant relief' from your problem! :)

John Kasaian
2-Aug-2015, 07:41
Pros---
You get a lot of detail in 8x10.
Larger negatives are more fun to work with IMHO.
Focusing on the larger ground glass I find, is easier.
Big cameras are chick magnets.
Holding an 8x10 contact in your mitts has a level of charm that's hard to describe.
You get to eliminate one capital piece to equipment---an enlarger.
No grain, unless you screw up real bad.

Cons---
Everything is more expensive.
Heavier gear.
Physically more awkward to tote around.
Any color photography is going to be over the top expensive
People will often mistake you for being a "historical reinactor"
Small children will grab onto your beard and yank it
If you're shooting in the Sierra, you'll have a heck of a time finding a shot AA hasn't already taken.

You can buy your kit and shoot 8x10 on a budget.
That's what I've done, but I accept the fact that some items aren't worth skimping on.

I hope this helps!

stradibarrius
2-Aug-2015, 07:47
Thanks John, your answer does help.To search this forum requires that you first know what to search for. If you don't know what the real advantages and disadvantages are then you just get a bunch of emotional stuff. Your answer had some of the info I was hoping to get.
Also I do shoot my 4x5 along with my MF and digital too.

Pros---
You get a lot of detail in 8x10.
Larger negatives are more fun to work with IMHO.
Focusing on the larger ground glass I find, is easier.
Big cameras are chick magnets.
Holding an 8x10 contact in your mitts has a level of charm that's hard to describe.
You get to eliminate one capital piece to equipment---an enlarger.

Cons---
Everything is more expensive.
Heavier gear.
Physically more awkward to tote around.
Any color photography is going to be over the top expensive
People will often mistake you for being a "historical reinactor"
Small children will grab onto your beard and yank it
If you're shooting in the Sierra, you'll have a heck of a time finding a shot AA hasn't already taken.

You can buy your kit and shoot 8x10 on a budget.
That's what I've done, but I accept the fact that some items aren't worth skimping on.

I hope this helps!

Pali K
2-Aug-2015, 07:48
I had this gas when I got into LF and when the right opportunity came, I jumped into 8x10. I thought I would still shoot 4x5 primary but 4 months into it, I mostly shoot 8x10 now because the 8x10 ground glass is an addiction. I have also lost some weight since so I can't really complain about the extra weight.

Gary Tarbert
2-Aug-2015, 07:55
I have shot 5x4 8x10 and 5x8 , no gas problems or at least none that i am admitting to. With some of the processes you wish to try maybe 8x10 . It is all down to size weight and end use , Also DOF issues .If you backpack through challenging terrain maybe 5x4 , it is not the most popular LF format for no reason . With 8x10 you have heavier weight less DOF and more expensive films lenses and holders , If you are shooting only B&W maybe 5x7 is a good compromise . Xray film is something i have never had any interests in, So there may be others to advise here

BILL3075
2-Aug-2015, 08:17
Seize the moment!! G.A.S. up to 11x14..... 14x17, better still !!

axs810
2-Aug-2015, 08:33
I always felt 8x10 did something special for portraiture work but if you're shooting landscapes or anything else then just stick with 4x5. Just my opinion

David Lobato
2-Aug-2015, 10:00
I shot 4x5 for over two decades and was satisfied. Several years ago I got the 8x10 itch and am now hopelessly mired. I love 8x10. Compared to 4x5 it requires compromises (depth of field, lens choices, film choices, cost, etc.) and has more problems to surmount (film processing, cost, logistics, old cranky shutters, wind, weight, bigger tripod and head, etc.). But the gratification I get is more than 4x5 gives me. A well done 8x10 negative is a wonder to hold and examine. Old lenses have an incomparable charm. Photographic "Art" was expanded for me, away from the stark technical perfection of 4x5. My 8x10 negatives have much potential if I decide to try alternate printing processes. I use 11x14 as well but 8x10 is the sweet spot. You won't live until you give 8x10 a shot.

Michael R
2-Aug-2015, 10:20
I would advise sticking with 4x5 and making enlarged/digital versions of the negatives for alt/contact processes.

Alan Gales
2-Aug-2015, 10:25
If you scan on an Epson flatbed like the V700 or V750, an 8x10 negative will just fit on the scanner. If you want to print from scans the 8x10 scans are nicer than 4x5 scans.

John Kasaian all ready said it but I'll say it again, you get to focus on that glorious huge ground glass. It's much easier to see what you are doing and just more enjoyable to me.

William Whitaker
2-Aug-2015, 10:33
To truly understand and appreciate the value of 8x10 you need to shoot 14x17 (or larger). Then you will come to appreciate what 8x10 and 4x5 have to offer. And how easy it is to load 8x10 film holders.

stradibarrius
2-Aug-2015, 15:20
Thanks for the great responses!

AuditorOne
2-Aug-2015, 15:44
I do love 8x10 but when all is said and done the old Crown Graphic gets the most use. Just way easier to load 4x5 film holders in a dark bag while out and about.

axs810
2-Aug-2015, 16:26
Get a Kodak 2D or something similar and just try it out! That was my first 8x10 camera and I instantly fell in love with it...I almost liked it more than my Wehman 8x10 but since the Wehman is more portable I'm holding onto it. But yeah if you dive into 8x10 format get some Ektascan B/RA xray film to shoot so you can have fun otherwise you're going to make yourself go broke! ;P

If it ends up being something you don't like you can always sell it on the forum :)

dsphotog
2-Aug-2015, 21:18
Sounds like you've already decided...... You know you want it.....
Kidding aside, go for it, but keep your 4x5 gear for when you want to "travel light".

John Kasaian
2-Aug-2015, 21:24
You can also make paper negatives if you want to cut corners, but to start with I suggest you get a box of whatever it is you're shooting in 4x5. You already know that emulsion so there is one less alibi and better yet, you'll see for yourself the difference between the two formats.

axs810
2-Aug-2015, 21:58

Just to prove you can get something decent with paper here are some 8x10 paper negatives :)

Buy an 8x10 you'll have fun and slowly go broke at the same time lol

jp
3-Aug-2015, 04:21
Ektascan B/RA is probably the cheap+practical way to get into 8x10. I'd still get some normal film too, like FP4+. I have fp4+ and tmy2 in addition the ektascan, sometimes you need normal film quality and results and it's worth the extra dough part of the time.

ImSoNegative
3-Aug-2015, 06:56
I enjoy shooting 8x10 for portraiture and still lifes, everything else its pretty much 4x5, I have only one lens for 8x10 and that is the fujinon 250 6.7, I think portraits and still lifes look awesome contact printed

Ari
3-Aug-2015, 07:54
8x10 is a lot of fun, and impressive to see when it's done well.
I gave up on 4x5 and use the Pentax 67, which I find to be a pretty good substitute; but there's no substitute for 8x10.

John Kasaian
3-Aug-2015, 08:12
How I built my 8x10 kit without going broke:
1. I did a part trade for a used camera in good condition so I could go out and shoot. I didn't want a project that might sit around and I'd risk loosing interest.
It came with a lens board.
2. Added a used heavy duty tripod. Even used they aren't cheap so prepare to part with some serious $$.
3. My bride sewed me a new dark cloth. Yes, you'll need a larger one than for a 4x5.
4. Loupe, meter, developing trays, timer & cable release came from the other formats I shoot.
5. Lens---my first lens was an old 14" APO Artar in a cla'd dial set Compur (yes it does cover 8x10,)for around $450 IIRC. You can find cheaper vintage glass
depending on what you're after. I've found both a 14" Commercial Ektar and 240 G Claron very useful and either should make a good first, maybe only lens
for an 8x10 shooter if you have the bucks.
6. Film holders. I bought 3 for $35 from an advertiser in Shutterbug Black wooden Graphic made for Eastman Kodak. No such luck today I'm afraid.
good used plastic Lisco or Fidelity runs $60, wood slightly less. I suggest buying from a reputable source. Check them with enlarging paper and exchange any
leakers (you know the drill.)
7. A box of Arista film (then it was relabeled Ilford FP-4+)

That will get you going and you'll be in a position to add or upgrade if and when good deals on useful gear present themselves. Avoid chasing magic bullets---investing in film, paper and chemistry will serve you better.

axs810
3-Aug-2015, 08:20
Film is the only thing that'll really get ya because you never want to cheap out on that stuff but Ektascan BRA and paper negatives are another option.

John Jarosz
3-Aug-2015, 09:16
I have found that while 8x10 contact prints are nice, 11x14 (or thereabouts) are nicer. I love my 8x20 contact prints. So be careful you don't end up like me doing small enlargements of 8x10 into 11x14. Or, you end up in real ULF land (like 11x14) even though you never wanted to.

I seriously started first in 8x20 before I drifted back to enlarged 8x10. Haven't shot a 4x5 in ten years

mstrickland
3-Aug-2015, 15:02
I can attest to 8x10 being a magnet of people...maybe not chicks though. Set that bad boy up at a popular viewpoint in a national park and there will be more pictures taken of your camera than of the actual scenery. I counted over 75 pictures taken of my camera (that I actually saw being taken) at McWay Falls in Big Sur a few weeks back. As far as 4x5 and 8x10 comparison, I shoot both. 4x5 has its purpose, as well as 8x10 and for 95% of the prints you make, you'll never notice the difference - especially if you're like me and you scan everything digitally. I can say that I enjoy shooting 8x10 more than I do 4x5, for sure. Not exactly sure why...maybe I'm a glutton for punishment.

Roboflick
3-Aug-2015, 15:36
I was just looking at some 8x10 transparencies today on a light table. Stunning!
Go for 8x10. You won't regret it. IMHO it's the best mix between size, use and availability of formats. And you can use a reduction back to use any smaller format

Corran
3-Aug-2015, 15:39
I can go further, see more, shoot more, and just make better use of my time shooting 4x5 in general.

But 8x10 is certainly fun, and contact prints are great. Save for really large prints or a shallower DOF in some situations though, 4x5 is more than good enough.

Now with an 8x20 in my possession, I just have to figure out something to shoot with it - not going to just hike out with it like I do on a casual afternoon with the 4x5. So the allure of larger and larger formats is certainly there.

stradibarrius
3-Aug-2015, 15:46
These are great points...things you only realize after you either make the jump $$$$ or ask this type question of people who you know are real photographers.
Thanks!!!

macolive
3-Aug-2015, 15:49
I'm going through something like this as well. I'm trying to decide though which camera system to let go of to fund my GAS. I have a hasselblad kit and Mamiya 7ii kit. I am leaning towards selling the hasselblad as I think that between the mamiya, the 4x5 and an 8x10 (if ever) I could do all that I wanted to do with the Hassy. Hmmmmm…choices choices.

mstrickland
3-Aug-2015, 15:59
I'm going through something like this as well. I'm trying to decide though which camera system to let go of to fund my GAS. I have a hasselblad kit and Mamiya 7ii kit. I am leaning towards selling the hasselblad as I think that between the mamiya, the 4x5 and an 8x10 (if ever) I could do all that I wanted to do with the Hassy. Hmmmmm…choices choices.

And if you're anything like me, you'll never miss the Hassy because people will constantly ask if your 8x10 is a Hasselblad!

macolive
3-Aug-2015, 16:19
and if you're anything like me, you'll never miss the hassy because people will constantly ask if your 8x10 is a hasselblad!lol!

Gary Tarbert
3-Aug-2015, 16:53
Yeah i hear what you say , i often get asked if my larger prints were shot on a Hasselblad:D