PDA

View Full Version : Possible major problem with my Epson 3800 printer

ignatiusjk
31-Jul-2015, 16:56
I'm having a major problem with my Epson 3800 printer.When I make B&W prints the prints come out with a light blue cast in the shadows.When I print in color the shadows again have a "strange" cast to them.B&W prints don't really resemble a B&W print at all.I've NEVER had this problem before,I've run a power cleaning and tried shutting the printer off and turning it back on but no change in prints.Has anybody ever heard of what I'm talking about? My computer itself is running very slow as well.Could it be a computer problem?? HELP!!!!

Jon Shiu
31-Jul-2015, 17:41
Did you print a nozzle check? How did it come out?

Jon

ignatiusjk
31-Jul-2015, 18:18
Not yet but I will,thank you.

djdister
31-Jul-2015, 18:29
If the nozzle test comes out okay, then it sounds like your color workflow management is messed up. Getting some color when it should be b&w or getting wacky color casts often means the color/printer profiles are conflicting and the color management settings need to be examined.

Ken Lee
31-Jul-2015, 19:00
Nozzle checks and cleaning cycles need to be done on a regular basis. Be sure to agitate your ink cartridges before starting up the printer too: ink settles, just like paint in a can.

Tyler Boley
31-Jul-2015, 20:25
ditto what Ken said..
http://theagnosticprint.net/nozzles/

Ken Lee
1-Aug-2015, 02:40
Sometimes a nozzle check and several cleaning cycles won't unclog a nozzle if the printer has been left idle too long. You may need to flush the nozzle with the appropriate solvent.

There are many videos which describe how to clean a printer, but this one is the best I found: How to Professionally Clean Epson 3800 & 3880 Printers (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocoX1WJbJPM&feature=youtu.be).

See their Piezo Flush (http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/sc.18/category.39428/.f) products. I don't know what's in their formula, but probably some combination of dilute ammonia and isopropyl alcohol wouldn't be a surprise.

Bruce Barlow
1-Aug-2015, 03:14
"If the nozzle test comes out okay, then it sounds like your color workflow management is messed up. Getting some color when it should be b&w or getting wacky color casts often means the color/printer profiles are conflicting and the color management settings need to be examined."

That was my recent experience. I hadn't printed a picture in about two weeks, and Lightroom decided to change its setting without telling me, and the prints were definitely greenish. I'd had this before, so I knew what to do. Turned off LR's printer management to let only the printer do it, and all was fine. Why did LR change? who knows? I surely don't.

Bill McMannis
1-Aug-2015, 06:36
As Bruce said, this may not be a nozzle issue but color management. Are you using Epson's Advanced B&W printing? If so, make certain all color management is turned off at either PS or LR. Next, make certain the Epson toning setting did not get accidentally moved. You can shift to selenium toning, which is touchy and can, by design, add a blue caste.

If you are not using Epson's Advanced B&W give it a try. Results are often excellent and settings can easily be saved for repeated success.

ignatiusjk
1-Aug-2015, 14:29
This problem seen to happen out of the blue.I use Epson advanced B&W printing when I print B&W so I know it's not that.I did get a "maintenance cartrige full warningg but I've since replaced the cartrige. Bruce what is "color workflow management" or color/printer profiles".

Peter York
1-Aug-2015, 16:55
Have you cleaned the purge pads for the maintenance cartridge? Excess ink on the pads may be getting onto the head, and thus the print. A google search should produce a video on how to clean the pads.

ignatiusjk
1-Aug-2015, 18:16
Does anybody know if Epson offers maintenace work on their own printers.I would like to get my printer a good maintenace job by someone who knows what their doing I don't trust myself.My printer is about five years old and has never given me any problems but I think a good cleaning is in store.

Ken Lee
1-Aug-2015, 18:38
See the Epson web site to locate an authorized service center. For the USA, see http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/SupportIndex.jsp?UseCookie=yes and use the Service Center Locator on the right.

I am bringing my 3880 to an authorized service center in a few days.

Preston
1-Aug-2015, 19:14
I used the very link Ken pointed out and found an Epson Service Center in Sacramento to work on my R2400 that had a problem with the main power switch. The tech replaced the switch assembly, replaced the waste ink pads, reset the counter, did a thorough cleaning and tested everything. I now have a well functioning printer that should last me another five years. It was worth 4 hours driving, the cost for parts and labor, and a morning at the center.

If there's an authorized service near you, they should be able to help, and it will probably be worth your time and money.

--P

Doug Fisher
2-Aug-2015, 19:33
If the other suggestions don't pan out, when was the last time you popped the carts out and agitated them enough to fully re-suspend all of the pigment (do not shake them violently or you could cause air gap issues)? If you have old carts in your old-ish 3800, some of the carts may have a enough pigment settling that it affects the color balance to the point it gives you unbalanced color output.

Doug

ignatiusjk
3-Aug-2015, 13:15
I spent 45 minutes on the phone with someone from India and the first B&W print was fine then after I printed a few more the same problem was back.What about a bad ink cartridge,my color prints seem fine but the problem seems to be with B&W prints.

Jon Shiu
3-Aug-2015, 15:37
I hope you are running a lot of nozzle checks. How are they coming out? All channels clear and consistent?

Jon

ignatiusjk
5-Aug-2015, 16:32
The real problem seems to be with making B&W prints.I'm having issues with color prints as well but my main problem is with B&W.Could old or bad ink be a culprit.I would think if it was bad ink EVERYTHING would look bad not just the B&W.What about reinstalling the Epson software into my computer,would that have any good/bad effect???

Jon Shiu
5-Aug-2015, 17:56
So you are saying all your nozzles are printing perfectly?

I have some carts that are 4-5 years old and still print fine.

Jon

Greg Miller
5-Aug-2015, 18:01
The real problem seems to be with making B&W prints.I'm having issues with color prints as well but my main problem is with B&W.Could old or bad ink be a culprit.I would think if it was bad ink EVERYTHING would look bad not just the B&W.What about reinstalling the Epson software into my computer,would that have any good/bad effect???

Several people have already requested that you run nozzle checks. That's the ideal starting point because a clogged nozzle will certainly cause a color cast, and is a very common problem. And don;t trust the nozzle check that prints diagonal lines. use the one that prints solid blocks.

Until you run nozzle checks and report back, it isn;t worth anuyone speculating more on possible solutions.