PDA

View Full Version : New Guy From Tyler, Texas

toddaaron
31-Jul-2015, 16:07
Hi

I'm new. I joined yesterday. I've been considering large format for quite a while but have not quite done it yet. Still learning about all the options and what is good for what, etc.

I guess I can't actually say I've never shot large format. I started there. My first camera was a pinhole camera I made in an art class in 7th grade and it took 4x5. But that was in about 1980.

I currently do a mostly landscape/cityscape with digital equipment (Nikon D800E). I enjoy the process of going out and shooting the images more than playing with them on a computer, so I want to get into something that requires a lot more time and effort on the front end (including all the possible options with movements of these type cameras). Seems like the ultimate way to slow down and enjoy it more.

I do like to hike out to find images that are not easily accessible to people just driving by. Again, more of an involved process on the front end.

Anyway, thats me in a nut shell.

Thanks

Eric Biggerstaff
31-Jul-2015, 16:16
Welcome and we look forward to your posts.

toddaaron
31-Jul-2015, 16:20
Thanks Eric!

Preston
31-Jul-2015, 16:30
Welcome Todd,

I was born in Tyler...A long time ago, anyway. Welcome to the forum and LF!

--P

diversey
31-Jul-2015, 16:51
Welcome! Visit us when you are in Chicago.

Sirius Glass
31-Jul-2015, 21:21
Welcome to LFPF

AtlantaTerry
1-Aug-2015, 01:05
Todd,

Welcome!

You will find the folks here to be friendly and knowledgeable with anything large format.

Terry

toddaaron
1-Aug-2015, 23:42
Wow! Thanks for all the welcomes!

toddaaron
1-Aug-2015, 23:43
Welcome Todd,

I was born in Tyler...A long time ago, anyway. Welcome to the forum and LF!

--P

Thanks! Awesome finding someone else in here from Tyler! I've got to get to California again before long. I was close in December - made it all the way to Arizona.

toddaaron
1-Aug-2015, 23:48
Todd,

Welcome!

You will find the folks here to be friendly and knowledgeable with anything large format.

Terry

Thanks!

That may come in handy sooner than I thought - I picked up a camera today and I can't find much information about it out on the internet.

AtlantaTerry
2-Aug-2015, 01:09
Thanks!

That may come in handy sooner than I thought - I picked up a camera today and I can't find much information about it out on the internet.

At first glance I wonder if it is a Deardorf.

It would help us if you had other photos, especially close-ups of any identifying marks.

What size is the film back? From the size of the knobs I suspect this might be a 5x7" camera? The back seems to be too small for 8x10.

What are the lens specs? From the JPG, the side of the lens seems to indicate it is clean and modern.

The corners of the bellows look worn. Have you tried the old lightbulb in the bellows in a darkened room trick to see if there are pinholes? If there are I suspect it might be easier if the whole bellows were replaced. If that is the case, there are a couple folks on FleaBay that offer the service. And (I believe) there is one in England? Folks with more knowledge will certainly add to my poor knowledge on the subject. :)

Did any accessories come with it? Possibly film holders or a tripod or a back to hold other sizes of film.

Terry

BTW, I know Texas quite well. While I was in the US Air Force from June 1963 to December 1965 I was stationed in San Antonio then San Angelo then Waco. In 1975 I spent three months in Houston creating over 100 television commercials for the UHF TV station. Do you know my friend Crystal who lives in Temple?

Robert Langham
2-Aug-2015, 06:28
I'm in Tyler, so don't hesitate to get in touch. Looks like a baby Deardorff or something close.

John Kasaian
2-Aug-2015, 17:59
Welcome!

toddaaron
2-Aug-2015, 19:54
Welcome!

Thanks John!

toddaaron
2-Aug-2015, 20:06
I'm in Tyler, so don't hesitate to get in touch. Looks like a baby Deardorff or something close.

Hey Robert! Thats awesome! I definitely would like to meet. I just looked you up on fb and sent you a friend request.

toddaaron
2-Aug-2015, 20:27
At first glance I wonder if it is a Deardorf.

It would help us if you had other photos, especially close-ups of any identifying marks.

What size is the film back? From the size of the knobs I suspect this might be a 5x7" camera? The back seems to be too small for 8x10.

What are the lens specs? From the JPG, the side of the lens seems to indicate it is clean and modern.

The corners of the bellows look worn. Have you tried the old lightbulb in the bellows in a darkened room trick to see if there are pinholes? If there are I suspect it might be easier if the whole bellows were replaced. If that is the case, there are a couple folks on FleaBay that offer the service. And (I believe) there is one in England? Folks with more knowledge will certainly add to my poor knowledge on the subject. :)

Did any accessories come with it? Possibly film holders or a tripod or a back to hold other sizes of film.

Terry

BTW, I know Texas quite well. While I was in the US Air Force from June 1963 to December 1965 I was stationed in San Antonio then San Angelo then Waco. In 1975 I spent three months in Houston creating over 100 television commercials for the UHF TV station. Do you know my friend Crystal who lives in Temple?

It is a 4x5. I got two film holders with it. Aside from the camera with lens that was all I got.

I tried to find more about it online and I came across an ad for the very same camera from 2010, and that guy said he was told by someone that it was an "Inka". I have not been able to find any pics of anything with that name that looks like this, so I am thinking that may or may not be accurate.

I have looked all over the camera for any identifying marks or a serial number and can't find anything at all. Also didn't see anywhere that looked like any sort of identifying plate or anything was missing.
Any idea where these might have been more likely to be marked?

The lens board is made from a different wood than the rest. It may be home made.

The Lens is a 210mm f/5.6 Caltar II-N. According to the "Introduction to Lenses for Large Format Cameras, 2nd Edition" ( http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses-primer/ ) it is made by Rodenstock.
The Lens appears to work correctly. It has some dust inside that needs to be cleaned.

Here are a few other pics from the ads...

toddaaron
3-Aug-2015, 13:28
Ok, I found it!

It appears to be a Nagaoka Seisakusho 4x5... or I also found matching cameras under Calumet Nagaoka 4x5, and just Nagaoka 45. I am assuming this was a Calumet Nagaoka which would explain the Caltar lens. From the Introduction to Lenses for Large Format Cameras, 2nd Edition - "Perhaps the most well known private label lenses are the Caltars, sold exclusively by Calumet Photographic."

Looks like they made two variations, an earlier and a later version. Mine is the earlier one with less movements.

I guess that solves that. :)

Randy
3-Aug-2015, 14:35
Be sure to check the bellows for light leaks. One of the pictures shows that the bellows is a tad warn.

Tim Meisburger
3-Aug-2015, 22:15
Ha! I looked at your pictures and realised that is an old Nagaoka, then read your next post...

Nice camera. I doubt it was sold with that lens, but that is a nice portrait lens. You can do most anything you want with that. I think you are only missing front shift, and if you absolutely need that you could mount the camera at 90 degrees and use rise, and I think I have never used shift for landscape (its often useful for architecture). Good luck!

toddaaron
5-Aug-2015, 19:37
Ha! I looked at your pictures and realised that is an old Nagaoka, then read your next post...

Nice camera. I doubt it was sold with that lens, but that is a nice portrait lens. You can do most anything you want with that. I think you are only missing front shift, and if you absolutely need that you could mount the camera at 90 degrees and use rise, and I think I have never used shift for landscape (its often useful for architecture). Good luck!

Awesome! Thanks Tim!

toddaaron
6-Aug-2015, 06:25
Be sure to check the bellows for light leaks. One of the pictures shows that the bellows is a tad warn.

I checked it for light leaks last night. Found lots of tiny ones. At least 10 if not more. :/

So not it looks a bit less attractive with gaffers tape on it. But, hopefully, it will function closer to optimally.

AtlantaTerry
7-Aug-2015, 07:10
I checked it for light leaks last night. Found lots of tiny ones. At least 10 if not more. :/

So not it looks a bit less attractive with gaffers tape on it. But, hopefully, it will function closer to optimally.

There are many threads here on repairing pinholes in bellows. You don't need unsightly bits of gaf tape.

Like this one: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?124247-Easy-Pinhole-repair

Off the top of my head I can remember:
black silicone weathersealing / caulk
black craft paint designed for use on fabrics
black Liquid Electrical Tape

//////////////////////////////

Copied from Flickr:

ScottPhoto.co Pro User says:
For pinholes I've had great success with automotive gasket sealer. Can be found at most auto parts stores. Fills holes but stays flexible.

www.permatex.com/products/automotive/automotive_gasketing...

Tim
www.ScottPhoto.co

boxcustom says:
patch.
fast and easy.
3M Weather Strip Adhesive. black version.

spotmaticfanatic Pro User says:
If it's small areas where it's worn a little thin, or pinholes, get liquid rubber paint. i got some at a craft store, where they sell it for making T-shirts.

The other option is keep your eye out on eBay and at flea markets for an otherwise trashed camera, and swap out the bellows.

mikeossur Pro User says:
Liquid Electrical Tape is still a good choice. It is strong and flexible. Cloth tape or gaffers tape are about the only other thing I could think of in addition to using Liquid Electrical Tape. Good luck!

boxcustom says:
i use 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive to fill the gaps in my bellows when i convert my vintage Polaroid cameras to modern film cameras.
It light seals and remains flexible.
It is designed to seal the weather gasket between your auto glass and the auto body. It has to work without fail in extreme conditions, hot, cold, rain, snow.
I have other brands of weather strip adhesive but the 3M brand works best.
I purchase the "black" version at the auto parts store in my area (AutoZone).
You can also use it to repair/built home and car speakers.
This adhesive is cheap, easy to use and dries fast. It is flexible and never fails in my repairs. I suspect Liquid Electrical Tape is similar, but having used it the 3M adhesive is thicker and fills holes better.
Good luck.

PhotoShop Guru Pro User says:
For Anniversary Graphics:

www.graflex.org/manuals/4x5-Anniversary-Speed-Graphic.pdf

www.lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/anniversary/page%204.html

For Pacemaker Graphics pre-1955 (no body release), the back is held in with tabs on the back bellows plate (springy, should pop off without needing to unbend), accessible from the back. The clips came later. The front is held on with post nuts on the back of the screws which hold the lens board lock plates to the front standard.

Small pinholes can be easily repaired from the inside with a mixture of Chinese ink and Elmer's Glue, diluted, with a fractional drop of liquid detergent (this breaks surface tension which would prevent the thinned mixture from filling in the holes). This method was recommended to me by Ken Ruth of Photography on Bald Mountain. If you need to paint on large amounts of anything, you need a new bellows.