PDA

View Full Version : Polarizer with ND grad-how to?

John C Murphy
7-Feb-2005, 11:19
I am wondering how everyone circumvents the problem that presents itself everytime you want to use a polarizer together with an ND grad filter, namely, how to connect everything to the front of the lens. The B+W polarizer doesn't have threads in front. I use a Lee filter holder for the grads. How do I get this to work together?

Dan Baumbach
7-Feb-2005, 13:14
I got a lee polarizer. It fits on the outer end of the filter holder. I don't remember if I had to buy and adapter for the filter holder or it came with it.

- Dan.

John C Murphy
7-Feb-2005, 13:47
I understand the Singh-Ray polarizers have threads in the front. Can anyone confirm this?

Doug Meek
7-Feb-2005, 14:47
Hi John.

First off, you always want the polarizer to be out in front. Don't put the grad nd (or any other filter for that matter) in front of the polarizer. Most (if not all) polarizers are not threaded in front for this reason.
I use the Lee system. I put my grad nd's in the filter holder slots and then I bought a separate 105mm adapter for the front that Lee sells for precisely the situation you are describing. I think that this adaptor was about $30 or $40. You then screw in your 105mm polarizer to the adaptor and you're good to go. Works like a charm.

John C Murphy
7-Feb-2005, 15:23
Doug,
The Lee FP105 is what you mean. I didn't know it existed until you mentioned it. It looks like that is what I need. Thank you very much!

Daniel Geiger
7-Feb-2005, 19:35
If your lens is a bit smaller, you can thread the Polarizer in the Lee mounting ring, then slide the Lee holder over the polarizer and slide the NDgrad in the second, or third slot. I've done that with a 67 mm lens, put a 72 mm Pol with step-up ring, then the Lee filter holder over it, and ND grad in the last slot. You can turn the pol throught the slot opening of the Lee holder; a bit akward, but it works.

That also works with the Pol plus hood.

The problem with the 105 mm Pol filter is that you can't use the Lee hood with it. As many pols don't have a filter thread, you can't use a screw in a hood either (never mind the need for a compendium shade if you do movements).

good luck. Daniel

John C Murphy
8-Feb-2005, 10:41
Daniel, I assume you are referring to the fact that the front face of the Lee adapter ring is countersunk with female threading to accept a filter of the same diameter as the lens' threads.

Steve Lewis
8-Feb-2005, 12:55
Hi John

Lee make a ring that is fitted to the front of your filter holder in the same way as you would fit an extra slot. i.e using the four brass screws. This ring is threaded so you can then screw your polariser to it. The grads then fit into the slots behind in the normal way. Have a look at the image on the right here (http://www.leefilters.com/CPTS1.asp?PageID=131). HTH

Steve

www.landscapesofwales.co.uuk