PDA

View Full Version : Moderators - Lucky to Have Them

Doug Howk
26-Jul-2015, 10:04
After reading the NYTimes article on RedDit moderators, see "...Anything But" (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/26/magazine/when-the-internets-moderators-are-anything-but.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=c-column-middle-span-region&region=c-column-middle-span-region&WT.nav=c-column-middle-span-region&_r=0), we at LFPF are very fortunate.
A case in point is the recent discussion on digital alt processes wherein the moderators kept a light hand on the discussion, allowed all sides to speak at great length, then announced a decision. Well Done!

Oren Grad
26-Jul-2015, 10:17
Doug, it's very kind of you to say that. We really appreciate the good wishes, apologize for any frictions and confusions we cause along the way, and beg everyone's understanding and patience as we try to bring the FS/WTB discussion as well to a reasonable and workable conclusion.

Taija71A
26-Jul-2015, 12:22
... But, we at LFPF are very fortunate...

+1.
Agreed in full 110%.

An additional BIG 'Thank-you'... Therefore now also, goes out to all of the Moderators for their very hard work and continued untiring, dedication -- To this Forum!
--
Yes, that was a very interesting and 'revealing' article Doug. Thank-you, for bringing it to our attention.

Hopefully, Reddit has now learned their very painful (and expensive) 'Lesson'.

Will... "History show that things end poorly for companies that rely too heavily on moderatocracies"?

I dunno... Is 'Moderatocracies' really even a word? :D

-Tim.

“There are only patterns, patterns on top of patterns, patterns that affect other patterns. Patterns hidden by patterns. Patterns within patterns.
If you watch close, history does nothing but repeat itself."
~~ Chuck Palahniuk, Survivor. ~~

Heroique
26-Jul-2015, 12:59
One might describe the behavior expected around here as a tolerable balance between freedom and duty.

Roger Thoms
26-Jul-2015, 14:04
I'd hate to see this place without our outstanding moderators.

Roger

Tim Meisburger
26-Jul-2015, 17:13
Bravo!

rdenney
26-Jul-2015, 17:18
Thanks, guys.

Heroique: Freedom without duty is just as much slavery as duty without freedom.

Rick "aphorism for the day" Denney

rdenney
26-Jul-2015, 17:21
Hopefully, Reddit has now learned their very painful (and expensive) 'Lesson'.

Doubtful. Their business model still depends on membership growth to support ad revenue. It does not in any way depend on a commitment to the topic at hand, which is what we have here.

Rick "interested in large-format photography far more than being a mod" Denney

Sal Santamaura
26-Jul-2015, 17:44
...Rick "interested in large-format photography far more than being a mod" DenneyDon't get any ideas. You've not served enough time yet. "No parole for you." :)

Taija71A
26-Jul-2015, 17:50
Bravo!

Tim M. 'Wins'... For his very clear, concise and succinct reply.

Rick "interested in large-format photography far more than being a mod" Denney.
But...

Rick does now score a 'Frequent Flier' Bonus and 5000 Large Format 'Reward Club' Points for his honest appraisal... Of what it 'truly' is like -- To be a Moderator!

Of course... Your LFPF Account must be in good standing and you must also be a LFPF Moderator -- In order to earn 'Frequent Flier' Bonuses and redeem LF 'Reward Club' Points.

Please Note:
A $100.00 Annual 'MRO' Fee (for Moderator Maintenance, Repair and Operations) may apply.

Membership and Points are subject to the Terms and Conditions of this Forum.
These 'Terms and Conditions' may change frequently. For the full list of exclusions, please refer to the Terms and Conditions available here:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_gen_rules_faq_item

The "Always less clear, concise and succinct" -Tim.

Dan Fromm
26-Jul-2015, 18:17
Moderators moderating moderately, that's the ticket!

rdenney
26-Jul-2015, 20:40
At the risk of being immoderately immodest, I've always been known as a moderate guy.

Rick "all things in moderation, including moderation" Denney

Ralph Barker
27-Jul-2015, 07:30
Thanks, folks. As the AT&T ad lady says, we appreciate the appreciation.

MikeH
27-Jul-2015, 08:31
An additional BIG 'Thank-you'... Therefore now also, goes out to all of the Moderators for their very hard work and continued untiring, dedication -- To this Forum!

+1

David Karp
27-Jul-2015, 08:35
Thanks guys.

Preston
28-Jul-2015, 15:26
Yes. Thanks, gents.

Considering the perplexities introduced by a bunch of old bearded guys with big cameras, you do a great job! :-)

--P

D-tach
30-Jul-2015, 13:17
+1 Great job! nice place!

Old-N-Feeble
30-Jul-2015, 14:12
Buncha byootox kissers.:rolleyes:

But yeah... yer right. Forums can be shear he** without good mods and LFPF has excellent ones. There... I can kiss booty as well as the rest o' ya' can.:D

Jim Jones
30-Jul-2015, 15:04
Since I haven't volunteered to become a moderator, I certainly can't complain about the job they do. As William Sherman said when threatened with a nomination in 1884, "I will not accept if nominated and will not serve if elected." That was only for the presidency of the United States, not for moderator of an organization with so many of its active members carping about the fine job the moderators do of pouring oil on troubled waters and greasing squeaking wannabe wheels.

Craig Roberts
30-Jul-2015, 16:58
I would like to add my thanks, your work is much appreciated.