PDA

View Full Version : New OR Padded Cells

Scott Rosenberg
7-Feb-2005, 07:16
just wondering if any of you had personally seen the new line of padded cells (http://www.orgear.com/home/style/home/storage/storage_carriers/PAD) by outdoor research.

they appear to be better padded, have rigid tops, and a polyester knit lining. would velcro dividers hold onto this lining? if so, they'd make excellent storage cases for much less than the photo dedicated ones.

Jim Rice
7-Feb-2005, 07:58
I've been using the older style (color coded by size)ones for lenses and film holders for seven or eight years. I've been happy with them and the new ones appear to be even nicer.

Scott Rosenberg
7-Feb-2005, 08:21
hey jim... the old ones were great, but no way to put in dividers for carrying multiple lenses. it looks like with the new ones you can use velcro inserts.

Ted Harris
7-Feb-2005, 08:31
Scott, Jim ....

How big are these things. Maybe I need another cup of coffee but I can'f find dimensions anywhere. I don't think they will hold velcro dividers unless you sew or tape the other side of the velcro materila to them somewhere. Remember that velcro is a set of two pieces one tiny hooks and the other tiny loops.

Meanwhile, now that my Orvis 'lens bag' has been out and about three or four times, even int the backpack once, I am thinking fo getting a second one for my Canham 5x7.

Eric Woodbury
7-Feb-2005, 09:07
Some dimensions would be nice.

Kirk Gittings
7-Feb-2005, 09:07
A few months ago I was photographing a new maximum security prison with new padded cells.......

Jim Galli
7-Feb-2005, 09:38
Me bride (good woman god bless her) she thinks I'm entirely ready for a padded cell.

Scott Rosenberg
7-Feb-2005, 10:23
ted...

i wondered if the polyester knit lining would act as the 'loops'... in lowepro backpacks there aren't strips of 'loop' material, rather, the hooks are stiched onto the dividers and they affix to the lining directly.

Frank Petronio
7-Feb-2005, 11:18
Goodbyeeeeeeee Justin!

Scott Rosenberg
7-Feb-2005, 11:39
hey ted...

i know how satisfied you are with the orvis bags, and they are great, but after reading your original thread, i starting researching such things. just so you know that you have options, lowepro makes a very similar bag, their omni series, that will function just as the fly reel bag, but they are also made to fit inside various pelican cases - in case you need it, for instance, when checking at the airport.

Jim Rice
7-Feb-2005, 13:28
I don't know about the new ones, but approximate measurements on the old ones are:
Red 5 1/4" x 5 1/4"x 3 1/2" (this is where my 16 1/2" RD Apo-Artar lives, and also handles a Rolleicord nicely)
Yellow 6 3/4" x 5" x 4 1/2" (90/6.8 Caltar II-N and 210 Sironar-N nose to nose with a B+H polarizer in plastic box between them)
Blue 9 1/2" x 4 1/2" x 4" (six film holders)
Black 13 3/4" x 5 1/4" x 2 3/4" (I had envisioned this for the 545, but the chemical packets on the film kept getting mashed) All of the above lenses are on 4" x 4" Wisner boards.

Gem Singer
7-Feb-2005, 13:40
Eric Woodbury,

Scroll down to the bottom of the page that Scott linked for Outdoor Research. The sizing chart . All of the measurements are given there.

Scott Rosenberg
7-Feb-2005, 13:50
here are the sizes:

<image src="http://www.orgear.com/images/chtf5_ss_pad_cells.jpg">

the #5 case seems perfect to carry 3 or 4 lenses on boards.

Jim Rice
7-Feb-2005, 14:16
Hey Scott, What were you planning on using for dividers?

Scott Rosenberg
7-Feb-2005, 17:17
jim...

i've got three lowepro shoulder bags that i haven't used in years and a super trekker aw backpack that i've never used (it's nuts how heavy it is empty)... so, i've got plenty of bags i can cannibalize for inserts. if the lining will indeed act like the 'loops', then i'm a happy camper!

scott

Jim Rice
8-Feb-2005, 06:00
They had horses.

Scott Rosenberg
8-Feb-2005, 10:24
i spoke to the folks at outdoor research and they said that velcro will not initially stick to the lining. however, if the lining were 'roughed up' a bit, it would stick just fine. he cautioned against repeated removal of the velcro, fearing that it would eventually damage the lining. for a one time 'set-it-and-forget-it' set up, it will work famously.

Kerry L. Thalmann
13-Feb-2005, 11:41
Has anybody tried these new OR padded cells with velcro dividers yet? I'm curious to see how well it actually works.

Also, does anyone know if the dimensions in the chart are internal or external?

Thanks,
Kerry