PDA

View Full Version : Where to go in NYC

nimo956
20-Jul-2015, 17:44
I'm going to NYC this weekend and would like to bring my photography gear. Any suggestions on where I should go to take photos (I've never spent much time in the city before)? I'm staying in the East Village. Also, are there any safety concerns of which I should be aware?

eabartel
20-Jul-2015, 18:20
I live in nyc. there are, of course, tons of options. what do you usually take photos of?

nimo956
20-Jul-2015, 18:32
Landscapes. I might like either green spaces with buildings in the background, or historic buildings with lots of old detail. Skyline views would also be nice.

eabartel
20-Jul-2015, 18:55
okay.well then central park is a must. I'd suggest sheep's meadow to get the landscape with the city in the background. if you want a little height and a historic building too, then head to castle belvedere (also in central park). there are numerous historic bridges in the park that make for beautiful photos. info on them is easily available online.

another area of interest is fort tryon park and the cloisters museum (which is in the park) in northern manhattan. you can get some significant height to shoot sweeping vistas of jersey across the the hudson and also manhattan. the cloisters is also just really cool to walk around in.

across the east river from where you're staying is dumbo, where you can get some classic shots of the brooklyn and manhattan bridges. the park in between the two allows for you to get them both in one shot if you have a wide enough angle lens.

for classic buildings, you can just walk around the east village where you're staying. plenty of interest there. maybe start at tompkins square park and circle around. that's mostly from the late 1800s.

if you want older, head downtown to the financial district. if you want 1930s, try rockefeller center, which is one of the premier art deco destinations in the world. for newer buildings, you might try in chelsea along the highline (an elevated train line that is now a park).

for another area with unusual landscapes, you might try governor's island. they have some former military housing and bases that you can shoot.

hope that helps. let me know if you want more info.

regarding safety, these days NYC is pretty safe. I never feel unsafe anywhere in manhattan during the day. at night, use some basic caution, and ideally have a partner with you.

cheers, a

nimo956
20-Jul-2015, 21:20
Thanks for the suggestions. Those are all really helpful. Do you know any good aerial viewpoints (not behind glass) that allow you to see lots of buildings, like this one by tbeaman: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?56978-post-your-urban-landscapes/page23.

Bill_1856
20-Jul-2015, 22:11
B&H Superstore.

eabartel
21-Jul-2015, 03:58
Thanks for the suggestions. Those are all really helpful. Do you know any good aerial viewpoints (not behind glass) that allow you to see lots of buildings, like this one by tbeaman: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?56978-post-your-urban-landscapes/page23.
top of the rock at rockefeller center has aerial views without glass.

Terence Falk
23-Jul-2015, 09:23
I dont know what the current status of this issue is, but dont forget that the city doesn't like seeing tripods in general. There were some laws passed in NYC a few years ago that required shooting permits for everyone, regardless of it being a professional shoot or not, but maybe that has changed.

Several years ago, I was assisting a photographer on an editioral shoot on the plaza of Lincoln Center, with hardly anyone areound, where the only equipment we had was a tripod and a Hasselblad. Nothing else. Literally seconds after I extended the tripod legs a security guard came up and said we couldn't shoot here.

Another incident was at Bryant Park, behind The New York City Public Library. I was teaching on photographing architecture. The second the students set up their tripods (maybe one or two tripods at the most), once again we were told the only way we could shoot here was with a permit. It didnt matter that I had permission to shoot at the library; these are two completely different things.

I think in both these incidents there are two things behind it: liability if someone trips on a tripod leg and in many cases, money.

Obviously, if you go shooting in lower Manhattan on some old street and its quiet at the time, it will probably not be an issue. Its mainly midtown. I do know that you will need a permit to shoot in Central Park. That would be a great place to shoot at and worth getting the permit.

Bob Salomon
23-Jul-2015, 11:19
Flatiron building.

StoneNYC
23-Jul-2015, 12:21
I dont know what the current status of this issue is, but dont forget that the city doesn't like seeing tripods in general. There were some laws passed in NYC a few years ago that required shooting permits for everyone, regardless of it being a professional shoot or not, but maybe that has changed.

Several years ago, I was assisting a photographer on an editioral shoot on the plaza of Lincoln Center, with hardly anyone areound, where the only equipment we had was a tripod and a Hasselblad. Nothing else. Literally seconds after I extended the tripod legs a security guard came up and said we couldn't shoot here.

Another incident was at Bryant Park, behind The New York City Public Library. I was teaching on photographing architecture. The second the students set up their tripods (maybe one or two tripods at the most), once again we were told the only way we could shoot here was with a permit. It didnt matter that I had permission to shoot at the library; these are two completely different things.

I think in both these incidents there are two things behind it: liability if someone trips on a tripod leg and in many cases, money.

Obviously, if you go shooting in lower Manhattan on some old street and its quiet at the time, it will probably not be an issue. Its mainly midtown. I do know that you will need a permit to shoot in Central Park. That would be a great place to shoot at and worth getting the permit.

Yup, this is still the case and I've been hassled quite a few times, I was however once able to convince one officer that it was OK so long as I balanced a single pole leg on my toe, and did not extend the other two using my tripod as a mono pod, by keeping it on my toe I was within my own personal perimeter and therefore was not "risking others lives from tripping and hurting themselves" the world is a strange and frustrating place, we now have to look out for klutzes who can't watch what they're doing and instead are using their cell phones and not paying attention to their surroundings, and win a trip they blame us for hurting themselves, ruining our good time, with their stupidity. Anyway yea this still happens all the time. I never heard anything about needing a permit for a public park, I don't think they could stop you if you were just shooting hand held, it's kind of ridiculous when everyone has cell phones anyway, but if that's true, it's a shame, and another way for the city to make a buck no doubt.

OK I'm bordering on political here so I will stop.

Flatiron building.

Bob, unfortunately this definitely falls under the tripod isn't allowed rule, and there's no place where you would be able to set up a large format camera near the flat iron building unfortunately. Unless you were able to gain access to somebody's apartment and could shoot out of their window somehow I suppose.

Bob Salomon
23-Jul-2015, 12:41
U
Yup, this is still the case and I've been hassled quite a few times, I was however once able to convince one officer that it was OK so long as I balanced a single pole leg on my toe, and did not extend the other two using my tripod as a mono pod, by keeping it on my toe I was within my own personal perimeter and therefore was not "risking others lives from tripping and hurting themselves" the world is a strange and frustrating place, we now have to look out for klutzes who can't watch what they're doing and instead are using their cell phones and not paying attention to their surroundings, and win a trip they blame us for hurting themselves, ruining our good time, with their stupidity. Anyway yea this still happens all the time. I never heard anything about needing a permit for a public park, I don't think they could stop you if you were just shooting hand held, it's kind of ridiculous when everyone has cell phones anyway, but if that's true, it's a shame, and another way for the city to make a buck no doubt.

Bob, unfortunately this definitely falls under the tripod isn't allowed rule, and there's no place where you would be able to set up a large format camera near the flat iron building unfortunately. Unless you were able to gain access to somebody's apartment and could shoot out of their window somehow I suppose.

Then read this

http://www.nycgovparks.org/permits/film-and-photo-guidelines

bdkphoto
23-Jul-2015, 14:24

The laws passed a few years ago actually ALLOW cameras and tripod on the streets of NYC without permits. The examples that Terence cite - Lincoln Center is private property, and Bryant Park is a public/private trust that does require permit for tripods at all times. Here are the actual regulations -

http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/downloads/pdf/moftb_permit_rules_QA_final.pdf

Bob posted the link to the parks regulations.

andy
24-Jul-2015, 06:08
The real moral of the story is that if you want to shoot using a tripod without really worrying about being harassed, get out of manhattan. There are some great views in Long Island City (Queens) and some really interesting places in outer brooklyn, and there just aren't as many people. As far as green spaces, head to prospect park in Brooklyn--it doesn't have the cache of central park, but it has way fewer people, and way fewer tourists.

The laws are loose enough that if you're blocking people from walking with your tripod, someone is going to yell at you.

eabartel
24-Jul-2015, 09:10
The real moral of the story is that if you want to shoot using a tripod without really worrying about being harassed, get out of manhattan. There are some great views in Long Island City (Queens) and some really interesting places in outer brooklyn, and there just aren't as many people. As far as green spaces, head to prospect park in Brooklyn--it doesn't have the cache of central park, but it has way fewer people, and way fewer tourists.

The laws are loose enough that if you're blocking people from walking with your tripod, someone is going to yell at you.

i totally agree that there are plenty of great locations outside of manhattan, particularly prospect park. my previous list was based on the where he was staying and the parameters he mentioned.

regarding tripods, plenty have already provided the correct laws, i'll just say i've taken literally thousands of shots on a tripod on NYC streets over many years and never had anyone complain, harass, or stop me. and that includes in central park, times square, in front of the library, on the brooklyn bridge, in front of city hall, in front of rockefeller center, and so forth. i'm very careful to not obstruct people, be overly polite/respectful, keep an eye out for potential security or police issues, try to aim for less occupied periods, and be fast (which is a challenge with large format, obviously). if i'm going to be in a heavily occupied area (such as times square at dusk), i bring a companion to help me manage the the crowd flow around me to minimize impact on others.

places i have had problems: handheld 35mm inside buildings that don't allow photography (guggenheim, morgan library, woolworth building, etc.). and that's why i love the met where you can shoot to your hearts content (without a tripod, of course).

hope your trip this weekend is a success!

cheers, a

Ari
24-Jul-2015, 09:54
For the record, here's the rule regarding tripod use in NYC:

In general, because tripods are defined as "hand-held devices", permits would not be needed. However, a permit will be needed by someone using a tripod if
(1) the person filming asserts exclusive use of one or more lanes of a street or walkway of a bridge, or
(2) the filming activity results in less than eight feet of unobstructed sidewalk use as a result of the tripod user's assertion of exclusive control over the portion of the sidewalk they occupy.
As to parades, rallies, protests or demonstrations, no permits are required when one uses a tripod.

Sal Santamaura
24-Jul-2015, 10:23
Where to go in NYCAs someone whose birth certificate reads "New York, New York," I can't resist.

Just ask anyone when you get there. There will be no hesitation on their part to tell you where to go. :D:D:D

StoneNYC
24-Jul-2015, 11:00
As someone whose birth certificate reads "New York, New York," I can't resist.

Just ask anyone when you get there. There will be no hesitation on their part to tell you where to go. :D:D:D

Now I know why I like you. Lol.

For the record, here's the rule regarding tripod use in NYC:

In general, because tripods are defined as "hand-held devices", permits would not be needed. However, a permit will be needed by someone using a tripod if
(1) the person filming asserts exclusive use of one or more lanes of a street or walkway of a bridge, or
(2) the filming activity results in less than eight feet of unobstructed sidewalk use as a result of the tripod user's assertion of exclusive control over the portion of the sidewalk they occupy.
As to parades, rallies, protests or demonstrations, no permits are required when one uses a tripod.

Have you ever actually tried telling a cop in NYC the law?.... Hah!

Seriously I've been threatened with arrest just by aiming the lens in the direction of police.

Good luck!

bdkphoto
24-Jul-2015, 11:24
Now I know why I like you. Lol.

Seriously I've been threatened with arrest just by aiming the lens in the direction of police.

Good luck!

I've worked this city for a long, long time and had no issues at all -- in fact I've had the police move their cruiser out of the way of a shot in midtown when I asked. In reality the city is a great place to shoot and most folks will just leave you alone or actually be really helpful, including the police.

Louie Powell
24-Jul-2015, 14:08
I think in both these incidents there are two things behind it: liability

Yes, New York probably has the highest population density of lawyers of any city in the world.

Bob Salomon
24-Jul-2015, 14:20
Yes, New York probably has the highest population density of lawyers of any city in the world.

Then you better check Washington, DC if you want to see an awful lot of lawyers as well!

Louie Powell
25-Jul-2015, 04:28
Then you better check Washington, DC if you want to see an awful lot of lawyers as well!

Probably true. The difference is that the lawyers in NYC practice law. The lawyers in Washington are an even lower life form - politicians.

Ari
25-Jul-2015, 05:03

Good luck!

Really? I've found the NYC cops to be among the friendliest and most helpful I've ever encountered.

Bob Salomon
25-Jul-2015, 05:09
Probably true. The difference is that the lawyers in NYC practice law. The lawyers in Washington are an even lower life form - politicians.

Except both my brother and his daughter our DC lawyers and neither are politicians. In fact, my brother was recently appointed to the Ethics Committee of the USA Olympic Committee.

Alan Klein
25-Jul-2015, 10:11
NYC loves tourists and their money. So the cops are told to be friendly although I think most do that anyway. Just don't set up your tripod where people moving passed might trip over it. You don't want to be responsible for someone hurting themselves, never mind lawyers. If someone tells you to move, so move. No big deal. NY's a big place. Go to another spot.

Robert Kalman
25-Jul-2015, 12:56
I've worked this city for a long, long time and had no issues at all -- in fact I've had the police move their cruiser out of the way of a shot in midtown when I asked. In reality the city is a great place to shoot and most folks will just leave you alone or actually be really helpful, including the police.

Ditto! Been working the streets in Manhattan for about twenty years and have never ever been hassled for using a tripod. (Working the streets of Paris, however, a very different story...Once I had 2 bureaucratic women screaming at me in French that I didn't understand because I was using a tripod. A helpful man tried to explain to them that it was okay, and he so pissed them off that they called in the cops.)

Roboflick
16-Aug-2015, 11:42
Brooklyn bridge park is where I've been shooting lately. 8x 10 huge tripod. No complaints. Just a lot of friendly conversation with locals and tourists
Nik