PDA

View Full Version : Why Do I Almost Always Have To Refresh and Re-Post?

John Layton
10-Jul-2015, 04:40
I'm getting pretty tired of this...trying to post something thoughtful - taking a few minutes to fill the space with somewhat carefully considered words...then, when I hit "post," I get a message that I do not have permission to do this, and could I please refresh and post again?

The only thing that works for me is to copy my original post...sign out, find the original thread, sign in again, then past my original copy. This is becoming very tedious!

Can someone tell me what I could be doing wrong? Thanks!

IanG
10-Jul-2015, 05:28
The board's a little buggy at the moment, I've noticed this quite a lot as well. Also the search side isn't working at all in Search Single Content Type.

Most Forums are migrating away from vBulletin which has lagged behind in development, so I guess that will be an issue for the Moderators to think about at some stage if they aren't already.

Ian

jp
10-Jul-2015, 05:34
Sounds like web browser issues; I almost never have to re-login.

IanG
10-Jul-2015, 05:52
Sounds like web browser issues; I almost never have to re-login.

It's more a case of having to cut the content of a post you write, then refresh the page/hread and paste the content before posting the final reply. Sometimes it's worse than others and you need to leave the site and start again, in my case Login is automatic. It's not browser specific as I tried in 2 other browsers and have the same issues.

Ian

Ralph Barker
10-Jul-2015, 06:27
I'm getting pretty tired of this...trying to post something thoughtful - taking a few minutes to fill the space with somewhat carefully considered words...then, when I hit "post," I get a message that I do not have permission to do this, and could I please refresh and post again?

The only thing that works for me is to copy my original post...sign out, find the original thread, sign in again, then past my original copy. This is becoming very tedious!

Can someone tell me what I could be doing wrong? Thanks!

You've been a member for a long time, so I'm sure you know to check the "Remember Me" box when you log in. But, might you be forgetting to do that?

The forum software also has an automatic log-off feature, currently set to 60 minutes, I believe, which is supposed to log you off after that amount of "inactivity". That feature, however, seems to be inconsistent between users and browsers. Some stay logged in (seemingly) permanently, others get logged off.

So, I'm not sure exactly what is going on, but I'll ask Tom to take a look.

Oren Grad
10-Jul-2015, 06:49
Ralph, I've been having the same trouble recently. Firefox 39.0 under Windows 8.0, FWIW.

Preston
10-Jul-2015, 07:41
No posting issues for me on either IE 11 or FireFox. (Win 7 64 bit)

I always check the "Remember me" box, and I stay logged in.

--P

jp
10-Jul-2015, 08:45
I use either a Chromebook or a ubuntu desktop system with Firefox or Chrome browser and have not had any logged/refresh/repost issues.

Doremus Scudder
10-Jul-2015, 10:52
You've been a member for a long time, so I'm sure you know to check the "Remember Me" box when you log in. But, might you be forgetting to do that?

The forum software also has an automatic log-off feature, currently set to 60 minutes, I believe, which is supposed to log you off after that amount of "inactivity". That feature, however, seems to be inconsistent between users and browsers. Some stay logged in (seemingly) permanently, others get logged off.

So, I'm not sure exactly what is going on, but I'll ask Tom to take a look.

Ralph,

Just posted to a thread. I was automatically logged out withing 60 seconds and had to log-in again to complete the post. Definitely a glitch somewhere.

However, posting here to this thread worked just fine.

Doremus

IanG
10-Jul-2015, 12:24
It depends how long you take to create a post. Sometimes I need to find some images, maybe upload them (I prefer to host on my own web-space so hot link).

It's very much worse on this forum than any of the others I post on, although to be fair I mainly post here and APUG and very little elsewhere, but I do see significant differences.

Ian

Ralph Barker
10-Jul-2015, 20:08
If you are having this issue, please include the browser (with version) and the OS platform version you are running. So far, it looks like it might be a Windows 8 issue, but that is unclear without the added info. I'm not having any issues with Firefox 39 on Win 7.1 (with the latest updates), for example. The more info we can provide Tom, the easier it will be for him to research the technical problem.

IanG
11-Jul-2015, 01:19
Firefox 41.0a2 Windows 8.1 (with latest updates), Cyberfox 39.0, and IE 11.096. The search ussue with single content type is with all 3 as the Search Multiple Content type works it's highly unlikely to be all 3 browsers.

The timing out while writing threads has been happening with Firefox and only with this Forum and not APUG which at the moment still uses vBulletin but is about to migrate.

Ian

Tom Westbrook
11-Jul-2015, 06:37
Try using the 'Log Out' link in the upper right to clear the Forum cookies. Clearing out temp files (check specific browser help for the procedure on that) and other cookies might also help. I was seeing some of the same issues this morning & cleaning out cookies & temp files seems to have resolved the issue for me.

Oren Grad
11-Jul-2015, 06:57
Tom - re cookies etc, I'm using Firefox in Private Browsing mode, still have the problem. Also, I log out each time. The problem comes and goes - didn't have it at all the last few weeks, now there are glitches with almost every login.

Old_Dick
11-Jul-2015, 08:49
I cleared my cookies, and all is well. Firefox OS is Solaris 10.

John Layton
11-Jul-2015, 09:00
OSX (version 10.9.5) Safari (version 7.1.6) Hope this helps - Thanks!

Tom Westbrook
11-Jul-2015, 09:46
So, looking closer, it looks like there is a corrupt database table related to the search cache that's crashing the database every 5-15 mins or so. I'll have to take the site down & fix the table(s) while the site offline. I'll probably do that tomorrow morning while traffic is low, since the issue doesn't seem to be impacting ability to post or read, just annoying disconnects.

Tom Westbrook
12-Jul-2015, 05:15
This issue should be resolved now. Post here if you're still having disconnect issues.

IanG
12-Jul-2015, 05:46
The Search Single Content Type is now working but not properly. It's missing an awful lot of Posts. If I search for my posts it only shows those made in 2007. So there's still an issue there.

Ian

IanG
12-Jul-2015, 11:39
The Search Single Content Type is now working but not properly. It's missing an awful lot of Posts. If I search for my posts it only shows those made in 2007. So there's still an issue there.

Ian

It's quite badly broken, I tried another search and the person in question appears to have made no posts, which I know for definite is not correct,

If I check for mine it now lists the 3 threads I've posted in since the site went down for maintenance today and those from 2007.

Ian

Tom Westbrook
14-Jul-2015, 11:49
I'm running a rebuild of the search index. It might take a few hours.

Tom Westbrook
14-Jul-2015, 13:15
The search index has finished rebuilding so try searching again so see if that fixed your issues.

IanG
15-Jul-2015, 11:51
The search index has finished rebuilding so try searching again so see if that fixed your issues.

Thanks Tom, the search issues appear to be fixed now. We (Royal we) appreciate the time and trouble you take to maintain this website's Forum, it was an issue that affected everyone.

Ian

axs810
21-Jul-2015, 19:43
For some reason I can't post a new thread I'm trying to make in the "Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing" section but I am able to comment on already existing threads? Is this happening to anyone else?

Oren Grad
21-Jul-2015, 19:49
For some reason I can't post a new thread I'm trying to make in the "Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing" section but I am able to comment on already existing threads? Is this happening to anyone else?

Yes, I'm having trouble as well, and StoneNYC also reported that he was seeing this. I've PM'd Tom about it, am trying some local troubleshooting to see whether there's anything I can pin down on my end.

Tom Westbrook
22-Jul-2015, 04:11
The posting issue looks like it is resolved.

axs810
22-Jul-2015, 09:49
Thank you Tom!