PDA

View Full Version : Lubrication of moving parts of a LF camera?

Xipho
1-Jul-2015, 08:40
hello, has anyone an idea, if it makes sens to lubricate the moving metal parts of a LF camera, extension plate and so on?

Maybe there are some teflon dry lubricants that are useful? Or better cleaning without any lubrication.

Philippe Grunchec
1-Jul-2015, 09:36
I use lithium grease.

BrianShaw
1-Jul-2015, 09:41
I've transitioned from traditional greases and now use Teflon dry lubes. I really like them - slick and don't attract dust/dirt.

Steven Tribe
1-Jul-2015, 14:42
Many moving parts on my cameras are wood on wood or wood on brass strips. I clean slots very thoroughly in the dry state and go over to linseed oil - first to dislodge remaining grim and then to provide the mahogany/teak with a lower friction surface

Xipho
1-Jul-2015, 15:29
Anyone uses "Moly Lube" from Nye?

David A. Goldfarb
1-Jul-2015, 15:59
For the metal gearing on an all-metal camera, the late Martin Arndt (former U.S. authorized Linhof service) used to recommend Vaseline. Aside from being suitable for the purpose, it was no problem if you happened to get some on your hands while operating the camera.

Gary Beasley
1-Jul-2015, 16:18
I would be inclined to use a coat of carnauba wax. Doesn't wipe off after a good rubdown.

Craig Roberts
1-Jul-2015, 16:55
I have used wax for years.

David Karp
1-Jul-2015, 17:24
I've transitioned from traditional greases and now use Teflon dry lubes. I really like them - slick and don't attract dust/dirt.

I am with Brian.