PDA

View Full Version : Problem with a black and white scan

Michael Lloyd
28-Jun-2015, 19:19
It might be hard to see but on the upper left edge of the hilltop in the background the image has a rectangular soft area. I actually cloned a big piece of it out above the hill. The negative isn't soft there. I think it's an artifact of scanning.

Scanner is an Epson 10000XL and I'm afraid it may have issues. I see stuff like this a lot when I scan negatives but not prints. I haven't figured out what it is so I thought I would see if anyone here has an idea.

http://wildlightimagingstudio.com/img/s6/v134/p1285834006-4.jpg

Light Guru
28-Jun-2015, 19:56
I actually cloned a big piece of it out above the hill.

Show us the unedited scan.

David Lobato
28-Jun-2015, 20:09
Did you examine the negative with a loupe in that area?

Michael Lloyd
28-Jun-2015, 20:09
Scanned with Silverfast. Normally I would process with Color Perfect and then whatever else. Developed in Rollo Pyro, hence the color

http://wildlightimagingstudio.com/img/s7/v154/p1285971085-4.jpg

Michael Lloyd
28-Jun-2015, 20:10

I did not. I guess I need to haul out the light table and take a look

Michael Lloyd
28-Jun-2015, 20:14

The negative has dust and a few other anomalies but the "smudged area" is not on the negative.

ic-racer
29-Jun-2015, 05:07
Learn to look at the negatives with a loupe and forget the scanning. It is just causing problems.

Michael Lloyd
29-Jun-2015, 05:53
Learn to look at the negatives with a loupe and forget the scanning. It is just causing problems.

If I don't scan they will never see the light of day. I do not have a wet darkroom. I have all of the equipment that I need to do analog prints except darkness... Even an analog print has to be scanned to be seen on the web...

andy
29-Jun-2015, 07:47
is the out of focus area a sharp square or does it come on gradually? a sharp area would indicate a scanner problem, while a soft transition would suggest the negative wasn't flat.

Michael Lloyd
29-Jun-2015, 11:47
is the out of focus area a sharp square or does it come on gradually? a sharp area would indicate a scanner problem, while a soft transition would suggest the negative wasn't flat.

Looking at the TIF file, it's a sharp wide line, with a blue vertical bar in it. I've had some problems with the scanner when I scan prints too.

andy
29-Jun-2015, 11:48
sounds like a communication problem/bulb problem of some sort.

Michael Lloyd
29-Jun-2015, 12:46
When I first tried to scan a neg the scanner software (SilverFast 8) said there was an error, no code or description, the first 5 or 6 times that I tried to use it. Numerous restarts and a couple of Mac reboots and it didn't work. I use SilverFast. I fired up EpsonScan and it wasn't happy either. SilverFast communicates USB, EpsonScan uses my network. One more reboot and EpsonScan worked. So I tried Silver fast and it seemed to work normally, until I looked at the file.