PDA

View Full Version : So how do I describe this subject genre?

John Kasaian
26-Jun-2015, 18:15
I've become intrigued by an old equestrian statue, not so much the entire statue (although it is pretty dang slick) but the details, which I find incredibly beautiful all on their own.
But the elements of the horse and rider will still look like the elements of an equestrian statue, so it wouldn't be an abstract.
What do I call it?:confused:

cdholden
26-Jun-2015, 18:21
Still life. :cool:

Richard Wasserman
26-Jun-2015, 20:54
Pictures of an old equestrian statue perhaps?

RSalles
26-Jun-2015, 21:35
I would call lazy photographer.

:)

Cheers,

Renato

sun of sand
6-Jul-2015, 09:05
I can't tell if this is a riddle or one of your worst threads ever, john

Lol

Close-up
Most abstracts are simply close-ups of identifiable objects so

Drew Wiley
6-Jul-2015, 10:00
Sure that's not your own horse you forgot to feed, that mummified in the summer heat? Gosh, back in the old Clovis days they'd hang you for even using a term
like "equestrian". No authentic cowboy could even pronounce something like that!

Alan Gales
6-Jul-2015, 10:11
Well if you take a picture of the south end of the horse facing north I guess you could put it in the nude section.

Toyon
6-Jul-2015, 11:03
Sculptural details, sculptural elements, deconstructed sculpture, elements of a sculpture. This way you give the work of art credit as whole, but also note that you are showing only parts of it.

sun of sand
6-Jul-2015, 15:00
Its
close-up
Then abstraction
Then
Excerpt
Then extract
Then detail as perhaps 5th best option

But how many of those are genres
Detail is not a genre

I thought Ansel liked the term excerpt but it seems after a quick search he may have used extract

But the correct answer is still close-up
Whatdoiwin

I say
close-up of sculptural detail

Preston
6-Jul-2015, 21:51
This is a question I'd rather not be saddled with. ;-)

--P

John Kasaian
7-Jul-2015, 07:41
Sculptural details, sculptural elements, deconstructed sculpture, elements of a sculpture. This way you give the work of art credit as whole, but also note that you are showing only parts of it.

Best answer yet. Thanks!

John Kasaian
7-Jul-2015, 07:43
I can't tell if this is a riddle or one of your worst threads ever, john

Don't make me start reminiscing about the frozen turkey pinhole camera:rolleyes:

John Kasaian
7-Jul-2015, 07:47
Sure that's not your own horse you forgot to feed, that mummified in the summer heat? Gosh, back in the old Clovis days they'd hang you for even using a term
like "equestrian". No authentic cowboy could even pronounce something like that!
B...b...but it's supposed to better Art if you can't pronounce it---isn't that what POMO is all about?

Robert Langham
7-Jul-2015, 09:24
George Tice photographed enough Lincoln statues to make an exhibit and a book. You'll think of the right name, but it needs to be....right. Can't be "Iron Horses," but that might be a hint. "Equestrians," perhaps. Frozen in Bronze. Bronze Horses. Steeds. Standing Steeds. Steeds of Bronze. Bronzed Steeds. Foundry Steeds.

Drew Wiley
9-Jul-2015, 13:13
Where are the art critics when we need them? Post-Pliohippine? Post-Post-Eohippine? Pre-Hippyine?

Mark Sawyer
9-Jul-2015, 13:37
I think you need more than a single image to define a genre...

sun of sand
12-Jul-2015, 13:13
Don't make me start reminiscing about the frozen turkey pinhole camera:rolleyes:

I'd search to see if that thread exists but I'm
I'm scared that it does

paulr
12-Jul-2015, 13:36
Will it be part of a larger group of images? It's a lot easier to talk about genre when you've got a body work. In isolation you might as well just call it a picture of a statue.

Heroique
12-Jul-2015, 14:09
This is a question I'd rather not be saddled with. ;-)

But all it takes is a little horse sense. ;^)

Maybe call it a "detail study."

For example: "Equestrian Statue of Marcus Aurelius, Rome, 176 C.E., detail study."

I'd include at least one image of the full work that also shows its surroundings.

-----
For any image of the horse's tail, be sure to call it "de tail."

John Kasaian
12-Jul-2015, 19:13
I think you need more than a single image to define a genre...
I've seen many other photographs detailing statutes so I wondered if there was a "genre" or term I might use like "detail of a tail.":o

Mark Sawyer
13-Jul-2015, 00:43
I'd say that's more a description of the specific subject than a genre. Although given the nature of ever-so-post-modern art, I suppose I wouldn't be surprised if I asked an MFA student what genre they worked in and they replied, "I only photograph details of horse tails on statues." Hmmm, maybe there's a grant in that, don't you guys steal my idea...

Drew Wiley
13-Jul-2015, 12:48
Lots and lots and lots of photography out there already looks like a horse's rear end, so what's the big deal anyway?

Jac@stafford.net
13-Jul-2015, 20:53
It is damned-near forensic. Name it so.

Dan O'Farrell
14-Jul-2015, 08:28
Well if you take a picture of the south end of the horse facing north ......

Aren't we getting too close to politics here?

Drew Wiley
14-Jul-2015, 11:51
I should report you to the SPCA for insulting horses rears in a comparison like that one! Politicians have their noses up even worse things.